Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 07-27-2011, 03:13 AM

reef93 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by msjboy View Post
isn't there a cheap Coralife Trap'Em. Supposedly works.. read the reviews at Marinedepot.com site on the item. i believe it's available locally...

msjboy

I have had one but it never worked for me. They ate the food and were gone before I checked in the morning. I bought it at King Ed, you can check there.
Old 07-27-2011, 09:23 AM

RuGlu6 is on a distinguished road

Why are you trying to get rid of them?
They are good cleaners for your tank. Especially when food get trapped under rocks and pollute your water these guys are great help.
When i set up new tanks i always get these guys to help keep water clean.
Bristle worms are least of your worries, they don't touch corals or fish unless its dead, but then hey, you want them to eat the dead fish if you don't know about it it will pollute your water.
Old 07-27-2011, 04:42 PM

I wish I don't have any of them in my tank. Lots of different cleaning crew will do the same job for cleaning your tank, without having what looks like these creepy worms. l hope someone in the future can invent something that can kill them instantly inside your reef tank instead of baiting them out one by one.
Old 07-27-2011, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reef93 View Post
I wish I don't have any of them in my tank. Lots of different cleaning crew will do the same job for cleaning your tank, without having what looks like these creepy worms. l hope someone in the future can invent something that can kill them instantly inside your reef tank instead of baiting them out one by one.
Oh come on ! if something looks creepy does that mean we shuld kill it?
I think they are magnificent creatures ! when light hits them at right angle the show very nice colors !
Besides crabs and snails die off quickly when there is not enough debris and pollute even more. But worms are tough enough to survive hunger strikes.
http://www.bonaireinsider.com/images...Earle_0211.jpg
http://www.frierworks.com/annelidsec...tle%20Worm.jpg
http://lh6.ggpht.com/_pLMxhm76Dqw/RP...8/P1010023.jpg
Old 07-27-2011, 08:45 PM

Aaaah ... don't worry, I just like to talk nasty that way to relieve my anger ... All my neighbors and friends thought I am going to kill my boss like that too, I can chop her into thousand pieces in my daydreams
Old 07-27-2011, 09:15 PM

Gripenfelter is on a distinguished road

Coral Banded Shrimp will eat them. Get 2 of them.

314 gallon Drop Off Reef tank. 150 gallon sump. Bean Animal Overflow. Various Tangs, Angels, Triggers, Inverts, Corals, etc.

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=80379
Old 07-27-2011, 11:27 PM

From what I have read, lots of people on the other forum said they are not reef safe. They will eat corals and everything else like shrimps, snails, crabs ... in your tank, they will eat even your small fish at night.
Old 07-28-2011, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWorldAquatic View Post
Use Krill, it works the best for me.

Make a trap out of a 2oz plastic container and lid like you would get for condiments from a fast food restraunt. Cut the lid with an "X" like the lid of a beverage cup for the straw. Push it in lightly so the "X" is pointing inwards. The night before you insert the trap, spot feed the fish, this way the worms will come out more cuz they are hungry.

Worked for me... Second choice is a coral banded shrimp, an Melenarous wrasses, and arrow crabs.

Ken - BWA

I actually started to make a container trap last night because I couln't find the right one the night before. And guess what I got this morning ... a worm almost 10 inches long with a half inch width, plus another 4 fatty ones 6 inches long inside my trap A total of 5 from my harvesting. I caught the 10 inch that was themostwantedbiggestbugger living inside my rock right in front of the tank. It really makes my day, Ken Thank you so much, thank you ... I will continue to do that until all of them are gone. The next step is I am going to find a nylon material to add more traps for some small places too.
Old 07-28-2011, 06:47 PM

Bloodasp is on a distinguished road

Meh! I can't see any of them doing any harm whatsoever. I just won't bother wasting time lifting a finger getting rid of them because somebody somewhere said they do something harmful with no backup whatsoever to their claim when I don't even have a first hand account that they do what is being said.
Old 07-28-2011, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reef93 View Post
From what I have read, lots of people on the other forum said they are not reef safe. They will eat corals and everything else like shrimps, snails, crabs ... in your tank, they will eat even your small fish at night.
This is true about bobbit eunice worms.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMvvg...eature=related

Oh yeah and you are very lucky if you will be able to catch it ! they are so smart and grow so fast.
This one worm had me convinced that next time when i will set up a new tank it will be only dry rock, NOT the live rock.
And yes i had to kill it even though i think it is magnificent creature. I would have kept it in the sump or even in small tank but i could not get it out in one piece unfortunately and also i was so mad at it for wiping out the live stock and corals.
They do eat EVERYTHING ! small fish, soft corals, LPS corals, algae and detritus. The only way i could catch one in my tank is to quickly take the rock out and use a long screw driver.
It was almost 0.5 inch in diameter and about 15" inch long! some pple seen 4 feet long!