Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 07-12-2011, 12:45 PM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by plutoniumJoe View Post

I have never tried an electric but I not sure if you can beat the flavour of lump charcoal cooked ribs with hickory and apple wood smoke.
ya, I do both and you would never know the difference, electric is still making wood smoke.

the biggest difference is the electric runs on its own.. ever two or three hours you need to add chips but other than that... my lump burner you need to be sitting there babysitting it, and also in my case with me going to be making sausage and bacon I need the larger volume and absolutly stable temps that are lower than I can go with my lump burner. Also I don't know if it is leagle to use the lump burner in kamloops....

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.
Old 07-12-2011, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMAX View Post
Same kind as I have.
have you modified yours at all?
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Old 07-12-2011, 05:41 PM

reefermadness is on a distinguished road

A smoker is something I have been thinking about for a while....

Any tips or suggestions on buying one?

Also for ribs....what is the difference to say putting wood chips in my bbq set at 275...??

I guess some cooking explanations for a smoking noob....
Old 07-13-2011, 03:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefermadness View Post
A smoker is something I have been thinking about for a while....

Any tips or suggestions on buying one?

Also for ribs....what is the difference to say putting wood chips in my bbq set at 275...??

I guess some cooking explanations for a smoking noob....
hmm lots of difference, although I used to use the bbq to smoke for years.. first for ribs you want it at 225 and you want continual wisp of thin blue smok. you do not want wite billowing smoke.

for buying a new one figure out what you going to make and how much time you want to spend smoking.

I smoke a lot but I don't always have the time to site and babysit the smoker which is why I am retiring my lump burner and building and electric one out of an upright freezer. I am building it with a PID temp control so I can set the temp and go back 5 hours later (time to make BBribs) or 6 hours for spare ribs. also when you do pulled pork you could be at it for anywhere from 8 hours to 18 hours depending on how big it is. so it is nice to have a reliable smoker that you can turn on and go to bed, waking up once and a while to reload the smoke generator. I am also designing one of thoes that will go for 8 hours between reloads.

for a store bought solution in electric the "master built" are deicent and there is a large amount of people using them on the internet. The bradly is good but I can't recomend it as you are stuck to using there "pucks" of wood so you are limited in what kinds of wood you can play with and they are expensive.

if you don't mind babysitting the smoker when you smoke then you can buy one that will burn wood or charcoal, here is where the choices become endless, I would recomend not to be tempted by cheeper smokers.. theres a reason there cheep. my brinkman was givent to me as a christmas present but I had to do ab out 6 hours of modifications to it to make it work deicent and it is still a finicky unit.

another thing to think about is cold smoking. if you want to be able to do this you need an external smoke generator.

finaly if your handy you can build one.. I built my first one from a old dish washer, others have used ovens and fridges/upright freezers are very popular. also you can look up UDS (Ugly drum smoker) made from a old 45 gal drum. take a bit to build and runs off charcoal but people turn out some good BBQ with them.

here is the best smoking website I have found yet.
http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/forum/

Steve

Old 07-13-2011, 03:54 AM

Thanks so much ....valuable information. You sound like you really know what you are talking about.

So.....I definately don't want to babysit a smoker.....and would like it to go 8hrs with out having to add more wood or touch something. Also I can't break the bank with it but also want it to last.......do you recommend electric? Which brand and where would be a good place to get one? Oh and cold smoke for fish would be nice....dont know much about that process but it sure tastes good.

Sorry for all the questions....but I dont know too much right now. All I know is I love smoked meat (use wood on my bbq quite often).....and would like to be able to do some more.

thanks again Steve.
Old 07-15-2011, 03:59 AM

Quote:
Thanks so much ....valuable information. You sound like you really know what you are talking about.

So.....I definately don't want to babysit a smoker.....and would like it to go 8hrs with out having to add more wood or touch something. Also I can't break the bank with it but also want it to last.......do you recommend electric? Which brand and where would be a good place to get one? Oh and cold smoke for fish would be nice....dont know much about that process but it sure tastes good.

Sorry for all the questions....but I dont know too much right now. All I know is I love smoked meat (use wood on my bbq quite often).....and would like to be able to do some more.

thanks again Steve.
well being in ontario you probably have a lot bigger selection that I have around here. if you go on that web site I posted there is reviews, recipies and all kids of info.. more than I could ever start to explain. but if your local canadian tires have this one run grab it
http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brows....jsp?locale=en

especialy since it is on sale for under 100 bucks, and gets fairly deicent reviews. your still going to need to reload the chips every 4 or 5 hours, but you can buy something like the amaz n smoke generator for like 25 bucks and get up to 10 hours of smoke and for use to cold smoke.

Steve

Old 07-15-2011, 05:13 AM

Holy crap....If I can find one (I know my local CT wont have it) I'm gonna pick that up.

thanks...
Old 07-16-2011, 01:28 AM

gawd dang Crappy Tire....I checked 2 CT's and they said they didnt have any and couldnt find a store that did.......I called and was told its discontinued.

Well if I can't buy it, why the heck is it on your website.?
Old 07-16-2011, 02:11 AM

hillbillyreefer is on a distinguished road

That is too bad. I paid $150 for mine a year ago, happy with the unit in general. At $80 it's a steal.
Old 07-16-2011, 02:54 PM

Quote:
gawd dang Crappy Tire....I checked 2 CT's and they said they didnt have any and couldnt find a store that did.......I called and was told its discontinued.

Well if I can't buy it, why the heck is it on your website.?
I went in and bought one yesterday. it is discontinued for store stock only, so what happens is they order them as they are bought. what I did was go in prepay for it and they will call me when it is in. 2 to 4 weeks depending on where it has to come from. so try going into a canuck rubber write down the product number and tell them you would like them to order it in. if they say the sale is over, then tell them you were in and wanted it the other day and no one told you that it had to be ordered and you still want the sale price.. they are good with pricing after the sale is over. I think two other of my friends ordered this one yesterday or are going today also.

Steve