Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 07-08-2011, 06:16 AM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwatkins View Post
Spend the $$!
Agreed. The tank is the base for your entire setup, it's not the place to be cheap. An unfinished edge isn't sharp, it's just ugly. Spend the money now while it's still possible, you can't go back!
Old 07-08-2011, 08:16 AM

ReefOcean is an unknown quantity at this point

I am really trying to see it, but it is 150 bucks. I mean, the edges on my 40 dollar 30 gallon tank are pretty smooth...to the point where i would be able to handle that quality on the rim of my new tank with no problem

I cant see paying that much for a base tank, and not having them at least do a once over with a grinder. sure I wont get shinny beveled transparent crystal like glass on the rim, but as long as it is relatively smooth and even, i don't think I would mind.

Arg hehe, the inner battle inside of me is too much.

hehe, I am just being cheap i suppose, I have been authorized 1500 for this set up, and these polishing and Starphire options are just killing me. I still need t5's, build a stand, pay for plumbing, buy a sump tank and buy a reactor and 2 pumps and whatnot.

Last edited by ReefOcean; 07-08-2011 at 08:20 AM.
Old 07-08-2011, 12:28 PM

phi delt reefer is on a distinguished road

cancel the starphire - it isnt going to make a "MASSIVE OMG YOU CANT SEE THE ANYTHING IN THE TANK" difference, lol.

if you're on a budget cut the luxury items out. FYI you WILL NOT be able to build a setup for $1500 unless you buy someone else's setup used. A custom tank is the WORST thing you can buy when trying to save money.

I built a 45 gallon setup - hoping to only spend $1500... came close - $2500 LOL. But everything was new.

custom tank $350
eheim 1250 (used) - $60
two koralia 1050's - $100
ATI Sunpower (8x39) - $500 (you can buy a generic t5 unit for half that price though)
T5 bulbs - $160
Stand - $500 (you can build a crappy unfinished one for $100)
Sump with baffles (bought a generic tank and had baffles custom tank and diyed it) $100
plumbing - $100 (larger diameter = more expensive)
eco reefer rock (45lbs)and sand (80lbs) - $200
SWC Skimmer - $170
BRS DUAL REACTOR - $60
TUNZE ATO - $160 (luxury item - you can build your own for $50)
RKL with extra PC4 - $200 (optional but you will need a few timers so this may be a better option)
MAxijets 1200 for reactor + mixing = $50
2x Jager heaters (150w) - $60

doubt you will spend less than what i did. I live by the border so i didnt have to pay tax on half this stuff and everything is cheaper in the States. I probably have another $200 in misc crap lying around as well.

remember you still havent bought CARBON, GFO, pellets spare reactor, auto feeder for when you are away.

i just stocked my tank with fish - $600 - includes a few coral frags as well. Food is another $50.

if you buy crappy quality stuff you will end up replacing it with the good stuff - then you will have paid more than you initially though you would. Its an expensive hobby. If you wanna go cheap get a Biocube 14 and you will be in under a $1000 after you are done modding it
Old 07-08-2011, 01:39 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReefOcean View Post

hehe, I am just being cheap i suppose.
Yup, and once the tank is done, and you've gone over budget anyway, you're gonna look at the tank and think "shite, I shoulda spent the money"!! But then it's too late, and every time you work on the tank, you're going to be ticked off.
Old 07-08-2011, 05:32 PM

I hear yah Aquattro. I as seeing the guy today, I will take a look at the difference between finished and unfinished. Tell ya what, if I decide not to go with it, and I start a tank journal and start to complain a little, I will leave a big spot for you to say I told you so.

As for cost:

so far, if i go with basic tank = 340 inc taxes

24 inch Hamilton T5 fixture 6x24w = 432.32 inc tax

stand-
56 for 2x4s
40 for finished plywood
about 40 for molding
25 for 2x6packs of import beer for me and my friend

Reactor = about 80 with taxes

plumbing is about 50

2x mag drive 7 pumps about 220 inc taxes

sump tank = 25

bag o' sugar sand 35

1298.32 or so

It is important to note, I have all stand hardware, stain, clear coating, sanding/power equipment at my disposal.
I also have a protein skimmer, heaters, a chiller and up to 3 Koralia powerheads and other various powerheads.

I also have SPS, LR, softies and fish
I have a 120watt led light for sump lighting (if needed)

So My budget is a bit skewed, but that is what my fiancee has agreed to so luckily I have donor equipment lying around hehe.

I will use the rest to buy the initial neozeo dosing sups and supplies.

I don't consider salt and future dosing sups part of the budget, just part of continuous maintenance
Old 07-08-2011, 06:46 PM

rastaangel is on a distinguished road

Dont bother with starphire for sure... Pending the shops cutting abilitys dont bother with a polish either, unless they cant cut thick glass nice...
I regularly cut 1/2-3/4" glass on my homemade air table so clean that simply running a hand sanding block w/ 220 on it to take the sharpness off you couldnt tell the different unless you weree holding a arrised and polished sample beside it... If they cant cut clean the edge will "sharks tooth" and it will look very bad and it will drive you nuts... Other wise the edge would prob be finished like any other mass made tank with a sanded edge
Old 07-08-2011, 07:16 PM

Thanks for a little bit of hope, rastaangel. Yeah, I have pretty much decided to go with the stock tank, with holes.

Last edited by ReefOcean; 07-08-2011 at 07:27 PM.