Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Marine Fish

Old 05-13-2011, 08:00 PM

Madreefer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishoholic View Post

Personally I am grateful naesco has the guts to still inform others about these things dispite the people who ridicule him for it.
It's just the way he goes about it that bothers people.
Old 05-13-2011, 11:26 PM

Ryan7 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobytron View Post
You really love to get up on that soap box huh?
Naesco, you have no right whatsoever to tell anyone what they should and shouldnt keep...let alone what a business like JL can and cant bring in.

Do you exclusively keep aquacultured specimens in your tank?
If the answer is anything but yes, you should wipe the egg off your face, take that stupid hat of that fish and focus all this time and attention on actually making a difference somewhere, rather than hypocritically making yourself feel like you are any bette than the rest of us when it comes tot he destruction of the reefs and ocean ecosystems.
The post wasn't about a soapbox, it was about ribbon eels. At least naesco and the other posters are giving advice on the subject, not an attack on someones post.

I agree with other posters that these eels should not be kept in our aquariums.

p.s. Your tank is probably under hair algae attack because you are spending too much time attacking peoples posts. Maybe you should ask naesco for advice?

Last edited by Ryan7; 05-13-2011 at 11:32 PM.
Old 05-13-2011, 11:44 PM

Samw is on a distinguished road

The OP was asking for people with experience. He wasn't asking if he should go to the LFS and tell them what they should and shouldn't sell.

Last edited by Samw; 05-13-2011 at 11:47 PM.
Old 05-14-2011, 02:29 AM

monocus is on a distinguished road
Default ribbon eels

i agree about not bringing the blue ribbon eels in.i also heard that there is a deficiency in the diet of feeding mollies.i picked up a black(juvenile) ribbon eel and kept it for 14 months(then had a tank crash).the adult (blue and green)ribbon eels are set in their diet and will slowly starve in a tank.if you must get a ribbon eel get a black one(it will turn blue as it ages)
Old 05-15-2011, 04:17 AM

toytech is on a distinguished road

I do mean nothing ventured nothing gained when i said it but in the context of experienced people willing to learn and ask advice . Nothing in this hobby is easy and some things are harder than others , if someone is willing to put in the effort to take on a challenging fish or coral then i say go for it . I don't agree with people buying fish plunking them in their tanks without knowing what there in for , and then asking why did my fish die .
Old 05-15-2011, 04:33 AM

The Grizz will become famous soon enough

I am not sure but even if someone was to spend a lot of time & effort into the blue ribbon eel that it would survive. There is always the luck few that can make it work like Eli did but I haven't seen anyone here posting that they have one & have had it for a while. To me it like the CCB & PB Tang I have tried a couple with no luck but there are others that have no problem at all.

I guess I would feel better about saying get it if the new care giver was someone who has been in the hobby for a very long time & know's some real good tricks to making things work & survive.

Please don't take this the wrong way, in no way am I saying that you don't know anything or enough about this hobby & in no way am I saying I know everything either about this hobby as there is new things to research & learn about every day.

Good luck with what ever you decide to do.

8' - 165gal Reef
DIY LED's Build
2012 Nano Contest Winner
Febuary 2013 POTM Winner
300 gal + 60 gal Complete DIY Build
Old 05-18-2011, 03:38 AM

silentcivilian is on a distinguished road

Things change everyday, we get better and better equipment. I mean times change.. example: remember gathering around the radio to hear your favourite show.. no I dont, remember first black and white image on a TV box.. I dont, I know we have gone from tube, to projection, to HD, to HD3D, and whats next I have no idea.. aquarium tech is moving as fast as everything else and alot of dont keeps are becoming keep with caution.

SO try to remember, post your caution on success rate, but then if you have information to post that can be of assistance to the possible buyer, you have done two goodthings instead of a double negative. I can name alot of dictators that got up on boxes and had nothing good to say.

Ribbon Eels:Feed all kinds of live fish and meaty foods. Use a poker if necessary at first to place the food right in front of their mouth. Don't worry if it doesn't eat for a while at first, they can go for several weeks without food and often do. Try all kinds of seafood, squid, shrimp, krill, and live food like guppies. They will also eat ghost shrimp if they are available. Dont give up, to have sucess with this community eel you have to dedicate alot of time to them to have them survive, a halfassed effort or giving up will likely result in its death.
Old 05-18-2011, 03:45 AM

The Grizz will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by silentcivilian View Post
Things change everyday, we get better and better equipment. I mean times change.. example: remember gathering around the radio to hear your favourite show.. no I dont, remember first black and white image on a TV box.. I dont, I know we have gone from tube, to projection, to HD, to HD3D, and whats next I have no idea.. aquarium tech is moving as fast as everything else and alot of dont keeps are becoming keep with caution.

SO try to remember, post your caution on success rate, but then if you have information to post that can be of assistance to the possible buyer, you have done two goodthings instead of a double negative. I can name alot of dictators that got up on boxes and had nothing good to say.

Ribbon Eels:Feed all kinds of live fish and meaty foods. Use a poker if necessary at first to place the food right in front of their mouth. Don't worry if it doesn't eat for a while at first, they can go for several weeks without food and often do. Try all kinds of seafood, squid, shrimp, krill, and live food like guppies. They will also eat ghost shrimp if they are available. Dont give up, to have sucess with this community eel you have to dedicate alot of time to them to have them survive, a halfassed effort or giving up will likely result in its death.
Very well put and totally agree.

8' - 165gal Reef
DIY LED's Build
2012 Nano Contest Winner
Febuary 2013 POTM Winner
300 gal + 60 gal Complete DIY Build

Last edited by The Grizz; 05-18-2011 at 04:22 AM.
Old 05-18-2011, 04:19 AM

naesco is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by silentcivilian View Post

I agree and that is why I posted the wetwebmedia.com site on the eels so that the readers of this thread can base there decision not only on other posters, my post but the opinion of experts.
Thank you for your post.
Old 05-18-2011, 04:37 AM

silentcivilian is on a distinguished road

I just didnt like that link, cause it had nothing to do with care of the animal "if" you do have one.

Followed by
Quote:
So often when the subject of almost impossible to keep coral and fish come up, two or three reefers boast how they have been successful in keeping them. Sadly these posts leave the impression, especially to new reefers, that it is OK to buy them.
Again, nothing of care for the animal.

Its like saying: Dont drive cars, a friend of mine got in a accident once.

This forum is here to share information of the care of fish and coral alike. With the way some of us talk, anyone out there with a new tank should be restricted to only colt coral and clown fish for 6 months, then you will recieve your licence to own zoas in the mail, and every 6 months following as your tank and your experiance grows we will grant you permissions to own a broader selection of equipment and livestock. Maybe one day when your gold star of permission arrives you too can own a blue whale!

"All growth is a leap in the dark, a spontaneous unpremeditated act without the benefit of experience." Henry Miller - US author (1891 - 1980)

"Our failures now define our future sucess" SilentCivilian - Mechanic (This forum now)