Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum

Old 05-12-2011, 10:37 AM

DOMINATOR is on a distinguished road
Default Re electrical shocks

Sorry, I meant voltage not current and I'm going to try to fix my pump and heater because I can't afford to replace these units right now....my system Is a closed loop so what happens down below happens up above!!:-))
Old 05-12-2011, 12:28 PM

blacknife is on a distinguished road

i asume volt-tic is a handy little potential tester you can get at any hardware store. it looks kind of like a highlighter with a plastic tip, the one i have is made by greenly. you hold it at something, usually a wire or socket or something that your going to work on and if there is enough ac voltage in there it turns a light and beeper on.
When I had a failed cord my whole tank lit up no mater where you put it, with that 20-30 v of stray voltage it does not light up or just gives an occasional little bleat.

you said something about grounded potential, voltage is any potential more/less than ground so if there was enough voltage in the tank and you stick your body part in there and your body part happens to be touching a better ground than a nice dry rug you wont just feel tingling/sharp pain in the water you will get electrocuted until the breaker blows, if it blows.
Old 05-12-2011, 03:00 PM

mike31154 will become famous soon enough

The links I posted in Post #5 contain valuable info regarding grounding probes and more importantly GFCI devices for your safety. Definitely worth a read, they're a little technical but fairly understandable. I'm reasonably confident that it's a reliable source of info, the guy is/was a Research Engineer with Georgia Tech Research Institute & Associate Professor at Georgia Institute of Technology. He's got a little bit on the ball, I'd say. The page on his aquarium build is also a very good read with some innovative ideas. A bit dated perhaps, but great info nonetheless.

http://angel-strike.com/aquarium/MICHELSONAquarium.html

Sticking your hand in the water while getting a buzz to isolate faulty components in your system is not the way I would go about problem solving. There's a rather important distinction to be made between a circuit breaker & a GFCI. A circuit breaker is designed to protect your wiring from catching fire & burning your house down. A GFCI device is designed to protect you from shock, principally when dealing with electrical components in and around water. If you're not using GFCIs for your tank, you'd be well advised to invest in one or more depending on the number of items running your system.

Last edited by mike31154; 05-12-2011 at 03:07 PM.