Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum > Lighting Specific

Old 01-17-2011, 02:06 PM

shrimpchips is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kien View Post
I don't plan on putting it anywhere on my system at the moment and I don't have a refugium I could see it going over maybe a softy tank or FOWLR in the future.
Maybe a fishroom light?

Have you tried any PAR measurements without the diffuser?
Old 01-17-2011, 02:48 PM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrimpchips View Post
Maybe a fishroom light?

Have you tried any PAR measurements without the diffuser?
I may try testing it without the diffuser tonight but I would not want to run it long term over saltwater without a cover. Salt creep would likely destroy the LEDs and small reflectors.
Old 01-17-2011, 02:57 PM

Seamazter is on a distinguished road

Nice review, this will certainly save some unsuspecting new buyer the same purchase.
Old 01-17-2011, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamazter View Post
Nice review, this will certainly save some unsuspecting new buyer the same purchase.
Or help some buyers make this purchase . The light does have its applications. Plus, remember that this was just one unit.
Old 01-17-2011, 03:01 PM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamazter View Post
I agree. If you can't run a product out of the box like a light the way manufacturer intended I'd perhaps look at other options. Perhaps a unit with a glass shield. Do most have that?
Old 01-17-2011, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the marine apprentice View Post
kein whats the price on one of these fixtrures? pm me with details please
Let me know if kein doesn't get you that info, as I can get it to you if he doesn't.

Last edited by kien; 01-17-2011 at 03:38 PM.
Old 01-17-2011, 03:24 PM
Nano Bubble Lover

soapy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mseepman View Post
Thanks for the review. Decent looking retrofit light.

I'm planning on a a DIY LED build over my next tank and have been purchasing parts for it already. LED's have a lot factors tied to them and their success over a tank, specifically the quality of the LED's used and the optics used. In looking at the Ecoxotic site, I didn't see any indication of the brand of light being used. The difference in lumin output from brand to brand is staggering. They also appear to be roughly 1W LED's and most LED's now being used are 3W.
Interestingly, regarding the PAR output, there have been a lot of comments made on forums, especially RC and NR that suggest PAR meters haven't been giving them results that made sense. People with tanks and multiple 400W lights have found that LED fixtures have overwhelmed their corals, even though the PAR meter gave fixtures similar numbers.
The advantage of the 1 watt LEDs from what I've read is that they are more energy efficient and since they are lower power and it is spread out more on the heat sink they are less apt to require a fan. Most of the newer 3 watt fixtures have fans. No fan equals good to my ears.

I have also read about the par meter issue with LEDs. I suppose a fair model for comparisons remains to be worked out. A less bright looking tank may actually suit me fine, sometimes looking into my yank feels like I am staring into the sun. According to the website this fixture is equivalent to comparable 150 watt plus light sources, whatever that means.
Old 01-17-2011, 03:28 PM
Gold Member

mseepman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by soapy View Post
The advantage of the 1 watt LEDs from what I've read is that they are more energy efficient and since they are lower power and it is spread out more on the heat sink they are less apt to require a fan. Most of the newer 3 watt fixtures have fans. No fan equals good to my ears.

I have also read about the par meter issue with LEDs. I suppose a fair model for comparisons remains to be worked out. A less bright looking tank may actually suit me fine, sometimes looking into my yank feels like I am staring into the sun. According to the website this fixture is equivalent to comparable 150 watt plus light sources, whatever that means.
In the instance of the 1W versus the 3W, efficiency is probably not the right word as the new 3W lights are the most efficient...simply run them at lesser current and they still put out way more lumens but don't require a fan. A 3W Cree XP-G can use up to 1500mA but at about 1000mA you are probably getting the biggest bang for your buck and you are only running it at 2/3's the power and heat. Use the right heatsink and no fan is required....cheap out on the heatsink and you need a fan.

290g Peninsula Display, 425g total volume. Setup Jan 2013.
Old 01-17-2011, 03:52 PM
Nano Bubble Lover

soapy is on a distinguished road

Right, hopefully somebody will set up a fixture like that. I am not that keen on listening to a fan grinding away.
Old 01-17-2011, 04:13 PM

Snappy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mseepman View Post
Thanks for the review. Decent looking retrofit light.
They also appear to be roughly 1W LED's and most LED's now being used are 3W.
Good thread Kien
Mark,
I also looked at their website and I can't find anywhere they state the actual bulb wattage and since the tanks they show as examples don't appear to contain any high light demanding corals I think it's probably safe to assume they use the lower wattage bulbs.

Greg

Last edited by Snappy; 01-17-2011 at 04:43 PM.