Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 11-25-2010, 07:00 PM

globaldesigns is on a distinguished road

I personally use KALK mixed with a little water to make a watery paste. Then using a syringe I inject each pest and cover it with the paste. Make sure all powerheads/pumps are off, otherwise the Kalk just get rinsed of very fast. Works for me, very cheap, and I found it very effective in treating usually in one dose.

Setup: 180G DT, 105G Refuge (approx. 300lbs LR, 150lbs Aragonite)
Hardware: Super Reef Octopus SSS-3000, Tunze ATO, Mag 18 return, 2x MP40W, 2X Koralia 4's Wavemaker
Lighting: 5ft Hamilton Belize Sun (2x250W MH, 2X80W T5HO)
Type of Aquarium: mixed reef (SPS & LPS) with fish
Dosing: Mg, Ca, Alk
Old 11-25-2010, 07:26 PM

Coleus is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by donlite View Post
Joes Juice. I paid about $14.00 from picies and had a fit when I opened it and there was a small bottle inside. Does this kalk do the same job?
Kalk works too. What have worked for me in the past is after i spray kalk, joe juice or aptiasia destroyer. I turn all my powerhead off for 10 minutes and use a small tube siphon everything out of the tank.

However, i only have one or two at a time so if you have lots i think you need something else.
Old 11-25-2010, 08:43 PM

globaldesigns is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coleus View Post
Kalk works too. What have worked for me in the past is after i spray kalk, joe juice or aptiasia destroyer. I turn all my powerhead off for 10 minutes and use a small tube siphon everything out of the tank.

However, i only have one or two at a time so if you have lots i think you need something else.
That is true, if you have lots, using anything can mess with PH and other things. So whatever you use, make sure you only do a bit at a time, and spread it out. This way you don't impact the overall environment adding KALK, JJ, or whatever method you chose.

Setup: 180G DT, 105G Refuge (approx. 300lbs LR, 150lbs Aragonite)
Hardware: Super Reef Octopus SSS-3000, Tunze ATO, Mag 18 return, 2x MP40W, 2X Koralia 4's Wavemaker
Lighting: 5ft Hamilton Belize Sun (2x250W MH, 2X80W T5HO)
Type of Aquarium: mixed reef (SPS & LPS) with fish
Dosing: Mg, Ca, Alk
Old 11-26-2010, 12:32 AM
R.I.P.

reefwars will become famous soon enough

I'm gonna sum it up for you guy. , nudi's take a long time and need to battle in numbers to take down aiptasia so you need to breed as they are expensive.... Then they starve because they only eat aiptasia.

Filefish works well and very fast but are not reef safe and mine eats zoa's and lps and is eating them pretty good so you may want to weigh the pros and cons.

Peppermint shrimp work very well but you need to feed very little as they are known to eat alot o food that isn't aiptasia, so starving them or puttin them in yoursump with just aiptasia rocks works well.

Copperband are absolutely not reefsafe and 99% of hem die in our tanks as we dont really know what they requie to stay alive, very few have longterm succss

lemon juice is my preferrd method but like joes juice and Kalk you can't get them all withou tearing up your tank.

Aiptasi spreads really fast and they are twice the pest then they are beneficial, the will KILL coral and just about all coral their sting is very very strong.

Sooooo if your played with 300heads like I was the filefish was my best choice in a 33g , I've been breeding nudis but i can't wait foe months.... Peppermints are great if you get a bunch and limit their food. I use lemon juice and I may have to Stab some twice but they say gone.

There's a thread on here about methods of removing aiptasia I suggest everyone read before buying anything as evryy system will use dif methods, aipasia can and will take over your tank Tust me an. If it does your in for alon of work.....trust me I've been battling aiptasia in tanks of all sizes with as many as a 1000 heads......IMO if left untouched you will lose alotnof coral.

Goodluck you guys
Old 11-26-2010, 02:19 PM

Capt_kulafu is on a distinguished road

lemon>>>> is good they died already!!!

thank again guys!!
Old 11-26-2010, 02:35 PM
R.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt_kulafu View Post
lemon>>>> is good they died already!!!

thank again guys!!
It really does work well some may need to be gotten twice if they don't get enough the first time glad you licked ut now for future reference keep an eye out fit mojano anemones they usually hitch hike on corals but like aiptasia they move around abd spread and sting corals so keep an eye out for those as well
Old 11-26-2010, 03:32 PM

Capt_kulafu is on a distinguished road

thanks reefwars!!
Old 11-26-2010, 05:05 PM
Rest In Peace

Doug has disabled reputation

Did you wish this moved from the buy/sell forum to the general for more discussion?
Old 11-26-2010, 05:59 PM

donlite is on a distinguished road
Default aiptasia and electricity

I don't suggest anyone do this but I used a 100w LED driver with 24 volt output and connected 2 wire leeds to it and put it on the end of a plastic rod. I stripped the end of the wires and placed them 1/8" apart. It took me 30 minutes to kill at least 50 aiptasia. You have to make sure you don't put your hand in the water and you connect it up to a wall plug with ground fault protection. Working with water and electricity is very dangerous and nobody should try this.
Old 11-26-2010, 06:24 PM
R.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
Did you wish this moved from the buy/sell forum to the general for more discussion?

Good idea , there's always discussions and questions to be had when dealing with aiptasia and it should be somewhere where it will be seen instead of the buy/sell forum