Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > DIY

Old 10-28-2010, 03:16 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

My stnad is basically designed after this

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=1169964

although I used 2x4 on top, with one centered brace in rear and two at 3rds in front. Plywood bottom and a false 6" back added to hide plumbing.
Old 10-28-2010, 03:18 PM

golf nut is on a distinguished road

Sounds like the best way would be to add 1/2 plates to each end of the stand to clear the hump, then shim the hump area.
Old 10-28-2010, 03:28 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by golf nut View Post
Sounds like the best way would be to add 1/2 plates to each end of the stand to clear the hump, then shim the hump area.
Kinda like legs on the corners?
Old 10-28-2010, 04:28 PM

MitchM is on a distinguished road

Laminate floors on foam are meant to "float" to allow for expansion and contraction. If you weigh down the laminate floor permanently with an aquarium, you could notice buckling in other areas of the room.
I would cut out the laminate and then either level with shims (plastic or wood) or go ahead with a self levelling cement.

Mitch
Old 10-28-2010, 04:55 PM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

hmm.. maybe I should take a road tripto Victoria to give you a hand. do it like we did your other one. wooden shims, but not just at the corner. we did the other tank in more places than that.

you want the bottom to be suported all along so ever 2 or 3" put a shim. if there realy is that much of a hump then you can do as sugested as put 1/2" plywood strips under the places that it will fit then shim that if needed.

the other way, which is the way I would do it, is to build a "bottom" to the frame which you build directly on the floor and make dead level then mount the frame to it.

but this involves being able to rip 2X4s on an angle, so might not be the simplest way for ya, and would raise your stand up at least another inch or two.

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.
Old 10-28-2010, 05:23 PM

globaldesigns is on a distinguished road

Personally, if it isn't off that much, I wouldn't worry, but otherwise I think wooden shims would work. Only problem is that maybe they can deteriate over time from weight, water, etc.

My tank is off just a bit, but I never adjusted. It was perfectly level when put in place, but after time with water it is off a bit, just slightly. If you look hard you can see it. I use a level quite often to keep tabs on it, as it is on a second floor of my home, and it has never moved. Using the level, the stand is level, if I put the level on the light it is level, but if I put it on the tank it is off a few millimetres. Oh well, I am not worried.

Setup: 180G DT, 105G Refuge (approx. 300lbs LR, 150lbs Aragonite)
Hardware: Super Reef Octopus SSS-3000, Tunze ATO, Mag 18 return, 2x MP40W, 2X Koralia 4's Wavemaker
Lighting: 5ft Hamilton Belize Sun (2x250W MH, 2X80W T5HO)
Type of Aquarium: mixed reef (SPS & LPS) with fish
Dosing: Mg, Ca, Alk
Old 10-28-2010, 05:53 PM
Just a guy..

Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchM View Post
Laminate floors on foam are meant to "float" to allow for expansion and contraction. If you weigh down the laminate floor permanently with an aquarium, you could notice buckling in other areas of the room.

Mitch
The stand only covers about 2 lengths, a few rows deep, and the other outer edges have lots of float room. I'm not sure that's a big concern??
Old 10-28-2010, 06:19 PM

Yeah, I'm not there and can't see it, I'm just saying what I know about some things...
Free advice and all... I try to give advice like I'm being paid for it. Don't want somethng to come back and haunt me.

Mitch
Old 10-28-2010, 07:29 PM
Just a guy..

Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchM View Post
Yeah, I'm not there and can't see it, I'm just saying what I know about some things...
Free advice and all... I try to give advice like I'm being paid for it. Don't want somethng to come back and haunt me.

Mitch
Too late, my lawyer says you're now liable for the tank landing on my tenant -lol

Ya, it's hard to say, and pics won't show enough detail to be any help, but so far, all good advice.
Well, except the part about Steve coming to my house
Old 10-28-2010, 08:55 PM

Meh...you're good to go as far as support for the weight of the tank.

As far as making it pretty and down the road not saying "I should have done "****" differently - that's your call.

Mitch