Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 11-14-2010, 03:39 PM

Cliff is on a distinguished road

I finished up-grading my sump today. I made the new sump out of a used 55 gallon tank I bought. I had glass pcs cut at a local glass shop to use as baffles. I siliconed them in place and let it cure for 36 hours. I also built a little stand for the skimmer to sit on as I’ve made the baffles so the sump will hold the maximum amount of water, a lot more water than the last sump. I replaced my old return pump with a new quite one 6000 and re-did some of the plumbing so I can have the reactor hooked up to the return pump as well.

I did the power fail test a few time with different levels of water in the sump to find the max and min levels in the sump so there will be no spills should the power go out. As only 10 to 12 gallons will drain out from the tank, the new sump can more than handle that amount of water draining back.

I also now have a compartment for live rock and some macro algae. I already have a light fixture for the sump from an old 20 gallon I have. When the tank is done cycling, I’ll move some live rock in the sump.

I now have a total of approximately 125 gallons (90 gallon display tank and 35 gallons in the sump).

Old 11-14-2010, 03:48 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

I like the idea of painting the sump. Makes it easier to see in there. I do enjoy being able to see through the sump to whatever I have dropped behind though!

SPS fanatic.

Old 11-14-2010, 04:53 PM

Thanks Myka. I bought the sump with the paint already on it. I was going to clean it off while waiting for the silicone to cure, but it grew on me so I desided to keep it.

I think it looks nice now that everthing is in place. But then again, I really like the look of a brand new set-up right after you add water for the first time.
Old 12-05-2010, 01:15 AM

About a 2 weeks ago my tank cycled. I rearranged the rock a bit and moved a lot of rock into my sump. I also added a light and powerhead in the live rock compartment of my sump.

I added my first fish last weekend, two black clown fish. This weekend I added a yellow minic tang and a cleaner shrimp. No algae yet so I have not added the clean-up. I’ve only gotten diatoms so far, The coralline on the rock I bought as live rock is really starting to get more “purple” and if starting to grow a little

Old 12-05-2010, 01:19 AM

A few more