Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Marine Fish

Old 10-19-2010, 02:36 PM

jhoepopoy is on a distinguished road

i think your right!!! btw thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike31154 View Post
+1 on this, clowns are not your typical jumpers. Only carpet surfer I've had is a Lawnmower Blenny. Seems to me the clown is outnumbered by the other damsels (clowns are in the damsel family by the way) and they may both have jumped to get away from the harassment. Damsels are very territorial and it's usually around lights out time that the battle for a place to roost can cause problems. In a smaller tank the territory is limited and with that many damsels competing for a sleeping spot..... well.

Ha, ha and globaldesigns, I have a Maroon pair, they're bad ass and I love it. No wimpy percs or occ or whatever for me. Actually I probably have one of the more tolerant females from what I've seen, she's only taken a hit at my hand a couple of times and never drew blood. Although, she may well have been the reason one of my Lawnmower Blennies took the leap....
Old 10-19-2010, 03:16 PM
R.I.P.

reefwars will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike31154 View Post
+1 on this, clowns are not your typical jumpers. Only carpet surfer I've had is a Lawnmower Blenny. Seems to me the clown is outnumbered by the other damsels (clowns are in the damsel family by the way) and they may both have jumped to get away from the harassment. Damsels are very territorial and it's usually around lights out time that the battle for a place to roost can cause problems. In a smaller tank the territory is limited and with that many damsels competing for a sleeping spot..... well.

Ha, ha and globaldesigns, I have a Maroon pair, they're bad ass and I love it. No wimpy percs or occ or whatever for me. Actually I probably have one of the more tolerant females from what I've seen, she's only taken a hit at my hand a couple of times and never drew blood. Although, she may well have been the reason one of my Lawnmower Blennies took the leap....

would also add that if water conditions arent favorable or liveable they can jump or try to get to better conditions........i too have a clown i wish would jump lol its a pair of cinnamon clowns the female is very aggressive and has taken chunks out of my soft flesh many many times....mean little bugger hummm this makes me want to start a thread hehehe stay tuned
Old 10-20-2010, 05:46 PM

Default now my clown is safe

thanks for the help guys i bought a egg create....
Old 10-20-2010, 06:03 PM

Rogue951 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhoepopoy View Post
thanks for the help guys i bought a egg create....
in a 30 gallon tank I would DEFINITELY get rid of the damsels.
Your clowns can still die from hitting the crate and knocking themselves out.

I have a 40 gallon breeder with 4 O. clowns, 2 firefish, 4 anthias and one allens damsel no one ever jumps. The damsel is pretty peaceful after he gets used to everyone. but no one has ever tried to jump.
However having had other damsels before which were a lot more agressive, they chased clowns around till I removed them.

Last edited by Rogue951; 10-20-2010 at 06:46 PM.
Old 10-20-2010, 08:17 PM

skabooya is on a distinguished road

I had a clown jump. poor guy. What i did was build frames that would go around my tank without obstructing my light, in tank skimmer and wires. Then i stapled craft mesh to the top of the frame. I can easily remove the front frame to feed and do quick cleaning without disturbing anything else in the tank. If i want to to a big cleaning i can remove both frames. They are super light and easy to move around
Old 10-20-2010, 08:45 PM

1 yellowetail
1 blue damsel
1 three spot domino
1 yellow

1 black clownfish