Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 10-18-2010, 07:55 PM

Lance is on a distinguished road

Good idea. I have an outside sump for my 90g and I love it. The sump is enclosed in an insulated box with a lid and a front door for access. This box is on the sundeck right outside from the tank. Sliding glass door to deck is three feet from the tank. Plumbing goes through the exterior wall. I have never had a problem with heat or cold since I set this tank up. (3 years this November) Powell River climate is no different than Vancouver. Go for it, I'm sure you'll be happy with it.
Old 10-18-2010, 08:04 PM
R.I.P.

reefwars will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milad View Post
the buddy that made my the stand is going to help with the shed.

If I tell the city im going to attach it to the house, what will they ask for? drawings? etc? can they refuse it?

Also I dont get why I need extra heater, you guys probably know better than me but if the tank water is always 80degrees and its constantly going through the sump, etc and the shed is sealed, why would I need to add a external heater? If anything wouldnt I want to have more internal heaters?
They could refuse it , it depends for evry city if you call them just tell them your inquiring ...not in the process of building.you will need to have drawings made by an draftsman/engineer if only they ask for it. Reason being is they don't want people digging adding their own electrcal or interfering with neighbors etc. Best to find out it's completely free to call I build house dcks and renos for a living and I've built small sheds wthout permits but I've also done o es where permits are required especially if your onthe city. I'm not sure about the heater that was referenced but I imagine you would want your shed to be heated for a million reasons like comfort to work in, less work on the heaters in your tank, keeping condensation from freezing.... Nothing to do with the structure as alot of people have non heated garages . It's actually alot simpler than were all making it out to be but it's good to know all the possible problems before building. First step find a general contractor who can get permits and do all the work including the slab ask around for more quotes and most will give free estimates, then make a budget and plan in writing for the contractor to follow. Once you contact the city or the contractor does you'll know all the building requirments that you need to meet. And don't forget to check with your insurance company on what they will require to keep insuring you
Old 10-18-2010, 08:06 PM

rjengen is on a distinguished road

Up here, if we pour a slab foundation for a shed, we need permits from the city and taxes go up. If you float the shed on a couple of 4x4's or 8x8's though you're golden, cause it's not considered a permanent structure. It a great idea, but I would did a little deeper before you break ground to make sure you`re on the up and up. God forbid something ever happens, and you have to put in an insurance claim, and they deny it cause everything wasn`t permitted and inspected.

If you can get the city on board though...oh the options are almost endless
Old 10-18-2010, 08:07 PM
R.I.P.

reefwars will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance View Post
Good idea. I have an outside sump for my 90g and I love it. The sump is enclosed in an insulated box with a lid and a front door for access. This box is on the sundeck right outside from the tank. Sliding glass door to deck is three feet from the tank. Plumbing goes through the exterior wall. I have never had a problem with heat or cold since I set this tank up. (3 years this November) Powell River climate is no different than Vancouver. Go for it, I'm sure you'll be happy with it.

Now I like lances ideas of an insulated box as opposed to a whole shed .... Alot cheaper , doesn't take up land or require anything and like lance said you. Can have it right on your deck

Hummmmm maybe I'll go that route you all got me thinking now lol
Old 10-18-2010, 08:16 PM

Milad is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Milad

well i was going to put the shed is all concrete. So thats all there. I was thinking the small box idea but then I want my tall skimmer in it, and my reactors and this and that and this, etc.
Old 10-18-2010, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefwars View Post
Now I like lances ideas of an insulated box as opposed to a whole shed .... Alot cheaper , doesn't take up land or require anything and like lance said you. Can have it right on your deck

And the best part is no worries with spills etc. Just hose it away down the deck drain.
Old 10-18-2010, 09:26 PM

what does your box look like lance?
Old 10-18-2010, 10:31 PM
acanthastrea freak

Skimmerking is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Skimmerking Send a message via MSN to Skimmerking

Quote:
Dude you can't ask that his wife won't go for it...

and i hope your skimmer doesn't Work Milad.. you better sell it to me .
Old 10-18-2010, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skimmer King View Post
Dude you can't ask that his wife won't go for it...

and i hope your skimmer doesn't Work Milad.. you better sell it to me .
its all mine, muhahaha

actually just talked to my carpentry buddy and i told him what i want to use the shed for and he said its probably easier to just make a big box. so its going to be something like 4 wide, 7 long 5 high. so a short person could fit in it but I would just reach in and do what I need to
Old 10-18-2010, 10:55 PM

Quote:

Well it has a nice Brazilian.......... sorry. Seriously, here are some pics.