Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Buy/Sell/Trade > Buy/Sell/Trade (Aquatics hardware related only)

Old 09-02-2010, 03:23 AM

ReefOcean is an unknown quantity at this point

High end being made of actual hardwood...no not Poplar... (but 40 times more expensive than the actual board foot market price because NOTHING except Bentley dash boards are made from real solid hardwood anymore.
Old 09-02-2010, 03:23 AM
R.I.P.

reefwars will become famous soon enough

personally coming from a carpenter if you build a stand from pressboard your wasting your money i cant believe it sells ive seen pressboard soak up water and swell to 3x its origional width ...garbage, if it gets dented then wet swells ..garbage lol i hate it, my stand is made completely from maple and pine all done customly by my self just not finished as i rarely finish my own projects lol
Old 09-02-2010, 03:25 AM
R.I.P.

sucks i need to paint my house but ive been painting 16hrs a day all week lol
Old 09-02-2010, 03:29 AM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefwars View Post
my stand is made completely from maple and pine all done customly by my self just not finished as i rarely finish my own projects lol
thats an interesting combanation, are both wood visible? or did you use pine for the hidden stuff?

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.
Old 09-02-2010, 03:39 AM

The Grizz will become famous soon enough

I used birch to make the top and doors on my steel stand and then use a stain with varathane, nice wood grain patterns and nice to work with for a welder.

I priced it out to build all quality wood or steel with wood skins and if you have seen my thread you know which way I went.

8' - 165gal Reef
DIY LED's Build
2012 Nano Contest Winner
Febuary 2013 POTM Winner
300 gal + 60 gal Complete DIY Build
Old 09-02-2010, 03:40 AM
R.I.P.

the pine is hidden as it is very soft and its in a high traffic area plus its cheap and easy to use everything else is in maple then stained very dark im going for an antique look with matching trim going up the corners on all sides then canopy all trimmmed out with a very decorative trim its actually crown moulding im just gonna customize it a bit. its not cheap though the stand is being done in four stages the first stage set me back 700 and that was just skirting and framing .the second stage was trim the skirting and prep and stain the trim was another 300 plus cost of stain,clear coat etc. did it all in a few hours though so im in to it a 1000 bucks but i dont have a crap quick mix stand now i just got to finish it lately theres been no ambition as the bottom half looks done the next step is to finish my corner pieces that ill pre stain then ill do the grusome task of making the canopy which im not quite sure yet as i may change my light set up
Old 09-02-2010, 03:53 AM

The Grizz will become famous soon enough

WOW that should look sweet reefwars.

8' - 165gal Reef
DIY LED's Build
2012 Nano Contest Winner
Febuary 2013 POTM Winner
300 gal + 60 gal Complete DIY Build
Old 09-02-2010, 03:58 AM
R.I.P.

im hoping so its taken alot longer than i wanted i could have done it in two days who knows maybe one but i keep puttin it off, the good news is i have the materials and im going to do it once i finish some work im doing my problem is also i keep changing what i want im still undecided on if i want doors or not i allowed for it in case but its covered up so you dont know its there now i have access to the back enough for my liking but i cant help but wonder if i would like doors better and once i cut for doors theres no replacing its done
Old 09-02-2010, 03:59 AM
R.I.P.

sorry seth if we hi jacked this thread its not hard to wander and stray lol
Old 09-02-2010, 05:37 AM

Milad is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Milad

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReefOcean View Post
Yes, most stands and caps in LFS are junk. Yes it costs a lot for freight and import duties but as a frequent furniture and home decor importer , there is no reason to pay 800 bucks for a pressedboard stand when you can have a solid mahogany one brought in on container from Shenzhen for a grand or cheaper. The fact is, if we are spending 2k-10k on a system to show off in my livingroom, why would I put it on a imitation pine stand that bubbles and warps? I mean, I don't have bubbly second hand Ikea furniture in my living from from 1985, why would I need a matching stand?

But yes, supporting the local lFS is our duty since most are great and helful and it is a tight knit community in the reefing world. BUUUT geez, they should stock better stands. I can source some if any of you LFS are interested

Sorry for the non-selling/buying related rambling.
where you see stands for a 1k?