Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 07-20-2010, 10:36 PM

trinac is on a distinguished road

Just had the BEST crab from Costco the other day... YUM!

Trina
Old 07-20-2010, 10:41 PM

kevNnic is on a distinguished road

haha my hermit crabs are savages. I will be keep an eye on my emerald from now on, He seemed peaced lurking in the shadows but now i know he is up to no good. lol

edit: i perfer my crab with a nice side of steak as well! dont get my wrong.
Old 07-20-2010, 10:53 PM

Lance is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevNnic View Post
haha my hermit crabs are savages. I will be keep an eye on my emerald from now on, He seemed peaced lurking in the shadows but now i know he is up to no good. lol

edit: i perfer my crab with a nice side of steak as well! dont get my wrong.

I had a serious bubble algae breakout some time back so I got an Emerald. Within 3 days it was turning its nose up at the bubble algae and happily snacking on my zoas.
Old 07-20-2010, 11:21 PM

i would be looking to get rid of him after that point, he stays pretty much in one area of my tank on the LR, if he turns on my corals his time will come.
Old 07-21-2010, 12:05 AM

Wayne is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance View Post
Never met a crab I liked. They are all killers sooner or later. Even the cute little hermits: They'll kill your snails and start on coral polyps. The only good crab is the one floating in lemon garlic butter.
MMMMM Lemon Garlic Butter!
Old 07-21-2010, 03:47 PM

Spiny is on a distinguished road

agreed. I loved my emerald until I found out he was the one to blame for my zoas disappearing. He's in time out in the sump now
Old 07-21-2010, 04:02 PM

SAMSHUNG is on a distinguished road

I've always been discouraged from keeping crabs however I find my cleaner shrimp far more sinister than my crabs. I've got one porcelain crab and a Xanthid crab tunneling in my LR which I can't catch because it's always hiding. I think it's fearful for it's life after the cleaner shrimp ate 3 of my 5 hermit crabs. I witnessed it too. Pulled it straight outta it's shell and began devouring it alive. Also they never permit me to feed my LPS especially my beloved Dendros without me having to intervene by preventing them looting the Dendros meals. So far if there's been any tank addition that I've regretted it's been the cleaner shrimp and not the crabs. Just my experience.
Old 07-21-2010, 05:23 PM

Lance is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMSHUNG View Post
I've always been discouraged from keeping crabs however I find my cleaner shrimp far more sinister than my crabs. I've got one porcelain crab and a Xanthid crab tunneling in my LR which I can't catch because it's always hiding. I think it's fearful for it's life after the cleaner shrimp ate 3 of my 5 hermit crabs. I witnessed it too. Pulled it straight outta it's shell and began devouring it alive. Also they never permit me to feed my LPS especially my beloved Dendros without me having to intervene by preventing them looting the Dendros meals. So far if there's been any tank addition that I've regretted it's been the cleaner shrimp and not the crabs. Just my experience.

I hear ya. Shrimps can be a PITA as well. When you feed your LPS try putting one of those plastic containers that strawberries come in over the LPS.
Old 07-27-2010, 04:58 PM

well yesterday he really ****ed me off. Over the past week my coral beauty has lost a decent amount of her fin, and im pretty sure i found the culprit. For some odd reason she likes that crabs and follows it around the tank, and the Em crab was grabbing onto her yesterday pretty good, but she didn't seem to mind, which i thought was weird, I had to put my hand into the tank to make the coral beauty leave the em crab.

WTF? why would she do this?
Old 07-27-2010, 05:44 PM

trinac is on a distinguished road

So bizarre about the angel / crab pair!

I feed my shrimp some mysis everyday. My crab gets fed every couple days too. I give it a piece of the dehydrated algae sheets, it will take it right from my hand too! I can't say for sure, but I think the inverts are more behaved because they have no lack of food.

Trina