Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum

Old 07-14-2010, 02:35 AM

whatcaneyedo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to whatcaneyedo

Have you considered a larger skimmer? I used to run an ASM G3 on my 120gal... you've only got a G1. That seems pretty small in my opinion.

Old 120gal Tank Journal
New 225gal Tank Journal
May 2010 TOTM
The 10th Annual Prince George Reef Tank Tour
Old 07-14-2010, 02:44 AM

Zoaelite is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanicCorals-Ian- View Post
LOL, I will never forget you! Your order is in customs as we speak! You will have it possibly by friday along with a little something else!
I'm a happy camper as always, interested to see how this stuff works!

Darren I agree with whatcanyedo, might want to look into an upgrade although it doesn't look like a massive bioload it might help your problem.
Old 07-14-2010, 03:32 AM

PoonTang is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance View Post
Hey Darren have you looked into water movement. All your params seem fine. I wasn't getting very good PE in the corner tank until I added a PH and moved another. Overnight, a big difference. Just a though anyway.
Yes I have tried moving them around, pointing directly at, pointing away etc nothing seemed to make any difference. Even ran them on a wave timer on my Apex. Nada. However I am going to get 2 of the new evolutions and run them on a full wave program fairly soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatcaneyedo View Post
Have you considered a larger skimmer? I used to run an ASM G3 on my 120gal... you've only got a G1. That seems pretty small in my opinion.
Well yes and no. They do rate them for 180G but i know as well as everyone else that is crap. Having said that I know that my mods have helped because that thing pulls out crap like you wouldnt believe. With the sump baffle mods and skimmer intake mods pretty much anything that is skimmable doesnt get past it. Christy did offered me her ER 180 to run with it so I could try and see skimming was an issue however I just havnt got around to it yet.
Old 07-14-2010, 03:58 AM

Zoaelite is on a distinguished road

I would take her up on that offer, I would of bought a new Euroreef if they hadn't stopped making them as I loved my old small one.
Old 07-14-2010, 04:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoaElite View Post
I would take her up on that offer, I would of bought a new Euroreef if they hadn't stopped making them as I loved my old small one.
I will at some point but I want to see what effect the probio has on the tank first. Plus you would think if I was underskimmed that much that I would be having huge issues and that 2 months of 20% weekly water changes would have had more of an effect
Old 07-14-2010, 09:42 PM

Aqua-Digital is on a distinguished road

The kit provided is the NEW improved formula from ProdiBio that all Aqua Digital dealers have started to receive last week, it is easy to tell the difference

http://reefbuilders.com/2010/05/12/b...tim-biodigest/

Easier dosing, less dosing in some elements and improved performance.

Looking forward to seeing the results.

Last edited by Aqua-Digital; 07-14-2010 at 09:56 PM.
Old 07-20-2010, 08:09 PM

Default Probio Review (week 1 update)

Its been 1 week since I first started using this system so it was time for a 10% WC, some tests, and a dose of 1 ampule of strontium.
Test parameters were as follows:
SG 1.025
Alk 9 (will raise to 11)
Cal 520 (used a brand new kit, guess the old one was FUBAR despite
having 1 year left to expiry)
Mag 1440
Phos .04ppm
Nitrate 6ppm

Observations: Haven't noticed any big changes in the tank this week but I do think my sand bed does look cleaner and I think I only cleaned the glass once this week. As for my indicator corals (the ones with no PE and/or poor coloring) I have'nt noticed any real changes. However my wife commented that she thought that the corals that weren't struggling were looking better. She doesnt stare incessantly at the tank 20 times a day like I do so she may notice the changes easyer than I do.
She made the comment that my Dark green Digitata looked "Greener and fuzzyer" and my Pocillopora looked "fluffyer". All very scientific, I know
Stay tuned.......
Old 07-20-2010, 09:49 PM

DiverDude is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoaElite View Post
I really like the packaging on these, are they plastic tubes or glass?
Somewhat useless trivia: These are Ampoules (or Ampules). They are glass and are most commonly used for pharmacuticals. If you've ever seen the film "The Deep", the shipwreck is full of Morphine Ampoules.

They are hermetically sealed and sterile. Great for longer term storage and use in inhospitable environments. Recyclable too !

29 Gal Bowfront w/24" LED Lights. DIY HOB Sump (5.4 Gal) MP40. Orange Spotted Watchman Goby, 2 Clownfish and a few hermits.
Old 07-27-2010, 08:22 PM

Default Week 2 update

Well not alot to report this week with last week being just a stronti dose. The Levels are starting to come inline and some of the corals appear to be changing colours, most noticably the purples appear to be getting more vibrant. Still no changes on the PE though
Levels this week are :
SG 1.025 Alk:9 Cal:490 Mag:1380 Nitrate:7ppm Phos:0.00ppm
The Cal is starting to come back into range and the Phos is great now, but not really sure what happened to the Nitrate.
This week I dosed ampoules of BioDigest, BiOptim, Iodi, Stronti and will continue to watch.
Old 08-04-2010, 12:35 AM

Default week 3 update

Ok week now and I just did my WC of 16G and dosed the recommended 1 ampuole of stronti.
Parameters today were:
SG 1.025 CA:475 Alk:10 Mag:1320 Nitrate:5 Phos:.02
Observations: Sandbed nice and clean and I havnt cleaned the viewing glass since last week! My skimmate is still black and chunky but the volume appears to be reduced. Filter bags are coming out black and I am changing them every 2 days. My water is probably the clearest I have ever seen, all bright and sparkly and no hint of yellow. In fact I noticed when I did my WC today that the buckets of old water looked as clean as the buckets of new water, usually they have that slight yellow colour.
My polyp extension is no where to be seen yet but who knows.
Here is a picture of a coral frag that I got from Marie. It doesnt show in the picture but It has developed a blue tip on the closest branch and the edge of the growth on the base has turned blue. Perhaps she can chime in as to wether hers has ever shown signs of blue tips?

This is the triclour 3 weeks ago and today.

This is the rose milli 3 weeks ago and today.

None of the colours have changed much on any of the corals yet