Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 07-28-2010, 04:55 AM

Greenmaster is on a distinguished road

Hopefully you have taken pictures as you went and can show us a build and not just the finished product... but pictures of the finished product are better then no pictures at all !
Old 07-28-2010, 05:01 AM

Scubasteve23 is on a distinguished road

well i would love that, but unfortunetly because my shop is helping me its kinda hard to get pics without answering a whole bunch of stupid questions... but i will try to take picturs of it all going together from pieces to finish. i dont know who is goin to help me with the granite install yet... haha but i hope my boss will... cause im not very experienced with two part epoxy and stuff so.... ya we will leave that part to the pros haha.... but that leaves my hands free for a camera so ill do my best....
Old 07-28-2010, 06:04 AM

The_new_guy is on a distinguished road

also love the pic that shows the four legged starfish hahah thats awesome.
Old 08-03-2010, 02:57 AM

Default So here are a couple new pics of supplies and the making of the overflow for the tank

So i thought that i would add some new pics and info about the progress of the tank, as im sure you can all tell by now im not big on typing so...here are some new pics

I painted the back of the tank with the advice of Med Hat reef guy....turned out pretty good i think

my new 1 1/2" gate valve

my new power center for the tank

1 1/2" bulk heads..all ready to go in the almost done overflow :P

i decided to build the overflow on top of the stand before putting it in the tank to ensure that its actually square ..haha..im really hoping doing it this way doesnt come back to haunt me tommorow when installing it in the tank

a couple pics of the finished job..

i have decided to clad the glass with 3mm grey/black tinted acrylic so you cant see in the overflow as bad from the front

and although i got the acrylic for the fronts i opted to go with a premade overflow comb that just gets siliconed into the inside of the overflow...one really big benifit i see to this is that it is adjustable so i can make it higher or lower to make the height of the water exactly where i would like it

and just for the heck of it..here is a pic of a recent impulse buy..haha..its just a feather duster but i really liked it..to bad my gobies like to move it..lol
Old 08-05-2010, 05:10 AM

so a couple quick update photos

The newly installed overflow pre-acrylic facing

getting the acrylic ready- used 60 grit sandpaper to make sure the bond to the glass is perfect and long lasting

thats all for now...have to wait till tomorrow to post pics (hopefully) with acrylic installed on the front of the glass as well as the overflow combs

and as a side not: if i don't post any updates for a bit its cause my car died and im now in the middle of a new purchase ...yay..and nay ...haha :P... ill post new pics of the new car too if i get it..haha
Old 08-08-2010, 03:32 AM

so here are some more photos of the overflow build...everything is in and awaiting un-clamping now ... so tomorrow i should have pictures of the final product..here are the pics.enjoy..

oh and for you who have been following along..i did get my new car..just forgot to get a pic for you all ...maybe tomorrow
Old 08-08-2010, 07:23 PM

as promised here are completed pics..enjoy

well im all done with the tank now till my finished pieces for the stand are completed...granite was being polished on friday when i was at work so hopefully tomorrow or tues i should have that..not that it does me any good with the stand not done ill update again soon
Old 08-09-2010, 04:35 AM

Looks great. If I do build my own tank next time (and it's glass) then I'll definitely use some of your ideas, cause I can see you know what you are doing (or at least fake it really well )
Old 08-10-2010, 03:47 AM

alright, finally got the tank in the house and is sitting approx where it will end up.. bulk heads are in and im now just waiting for my panels to get sprayed so i can clad the stand. granite should be done really soon. ummm..well here are the pics...

i dont know how but i got super lucky...i hope nothing changes when i add water ...
Old 08-10-2010, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubasteve23 View Post
i dont know how but i got super lucky...i hope nothing changes when i add water ...
That's not fair... I spent 2 hours leveling my stand... (I had to cut all five legs different lengths... I hate old houses)