Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 05-13-2010, 07:19 PM
Vendor

Red Coral Aquariums is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimskoi View Post
I have been dealing with ORA for years and there is no chance to be getting clams from them anytime soon.They can not get permits to export at this time.
When they do.I will be the first to know and will bring lots of them in.I have been wanting their clams for years.
I have a few customers that have purchased ORA corals from Oceanic Corals. Maybe they might want to share with us how it is possible to purchase corals from ORA???
Kevin
Old 05-13-2010, 07:32 PM

jimskoi is on a distinguished road

You cannot.
ORA does not have cites for corals,clams and Sea horses to be exported.They are not able to get the permits for them to export because the government will not issue them the permits.The reason is that ORA cannot provide the necessary paper work to prove they were not brought in illegally.Since they culture their own corals.They cannot provide the permits. So,no export.

Now some of the soft corals they have do not need cites.As long as they are on man made rock,Its fine.
I have put in request for ORA to send me an email so I can post it here for you all to read.

Someday I hope this will change.I think it will make it better for the environment to have more companies culturing fish/corals.
Old 05-13-2010, 07:46 PM

George is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Coral Aquariums View Post
I have a few customers that have purchased ORA corals from Oceanic Corals. Maybe they might want to share with us how it is possible to purchase corals from ORA???
Kevin
I suspect that ORA corals from Oceanic are just frags from other reefers within Canada, or frags from Oceanic's own colonies, not directly from ORA. ORA uses a specific frag plug from what I read on various US sites. How did they obtain ORA corals in Canada in the first place is another story. Then again there is no easy way to tell if a coral is from ORA or not.
Old 05-13-2010, 07:50 PM

jimskoi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by George View Post
I suspect that ORA corals from Oceanic are just frags from other reefers within Canada, or frags from Oceanic's own colonies, not directly from ORA. ORA uses a specific frag plug from what I read on various US sites. How can people obtain ORA corals in Canada in the first place is another story. Then again there is no easy way to tell if a coral is from ORA or not.
Soft corals can be purchased from ORA without a problem.Its the SPS,clams and Seahorses the cannot be.

Here is a quote from my contact at ORA.

"Our soft corals don't need cites. They are mounted on aragonite blocks"
Old 05-13-2010, 09:07 PM

George is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimskoi View Post
Soft corals can be purchased from ORA without a problem.Its the SPS,clams and Seahorses the cannot be.

Here is a quote from my contact at ORA.

"Our soft corals don't need cites. They are mounted on aragonite blocks"
Sorry, I should be specific. I meant SPS corals.
Old 05-13-2010, 10:26 PM

saltcreep is on a distinguished road

This discussion is pretty simple. If there are ORA corals that require CITES, seahorses, or clams in Canada, they have been smuggled in. Period!!!
Old 05-13-2010, 11:10 PM

Gooly001 is on a distinguished road

Oh Boy,

Here we go again.

Kevin you are more then welcome to contact DFO and have them come over and go through my paperwork.

I just don't think Canreef is the proper vessel for you to try and rehash this argument as it was already done almost the same time last year.

Cheers,

Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Coral Aquariums View Post
Kevin
Old 05-13-2010, 11:24 PM
Vendor

Red Coral Aquariums is on a distinguished road

You are correct Paul;

I was hoping and crossing my fingers that their cultured product requiring a cities could find a way to Canada. And was hoping you might have some insight. I was NOT insinuating anything else. This part of this thread is ended as far as I am concerned.

fkshiu

It looks like the Black and White Clams can be brought in from Japan as I have paperwork started from their but no guarantee that a B&W would be included.

reef_to_reef

Did you happen (when you saw the B&W Maxima's) what country they came out of??

Kevin
Old 09-20-2010, 05:19 AM

fkshiu is on a distinguished road

I'll revive this old thread in response to reef_to_reef mentioning that he's seen B/W maximas in Hamilton and Toronto. Those may well have been gold maximas which can appear black and white when they are young, but will develop other colours as they mature. A "true" black and white maxima remains pristinely black and white even as it becomes fully grown.

Red Coral: I'll continue to keep my eyes open for any B&Ws.