Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 03-14-2010, 03:06 AM

wgama is on a distinguished road

I tried a sea hare...had it for two weeks then it crawled down my overflow and died(probably should have covered it...). I will try some mexican turbo snails and look into a phosban reactor. I use RO water from the local water store. I also have 2 bulb strip light on the tank that has bulbs that are over a year old now, ill change those. I've been doing weekly 5 gallon water changes and siphoning off the majority of the algae. Ill up that to 10 gallons now. Thanks for the input guys/gals. Anymore advice is appreciated.

My 120 gallon reef (90 gallon display tank 30 gallon sump): http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=47741
Old 03-14-2010, 03:11 AM

toxic111 is on a distinguished road

is this in the 120gal system? if so 10 gal should almost be your minimum water change.. I would recomend 10% water changes weekly. And up from there to battle the algae. It took me over a year to get mine under control. A sea hare or Turbo snails will help, but the orgin of the problem needs to be found as well.

Make sure to do a complete set of tests and post the results here. Also maybe ask the water store what thier TDS is in the water, or buy or borrow a TDS meter.