Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 04-04-2010, 03:14 AM

bignose is on a distinguished road

I have a piece of pvc pipe holding the pump up right now. Would a piece of styrofoam leach any chemicals into the water?
Old 04-04-2010, 04:53 AM

rstar is on a distinguished road

Im not entirely sure, but it would float like you wouldnt believe. It should be fairly simple to find a piece of rubber to cut to go underneath it to dampen the sound!
Old 04-04-2010, 05:18 PM

My girlfriend seen this wonderful powder blue tang at blue world. I was going to buy a naso but she easily changed my mind. I've had my heart set on a powder blue for quite some time but timing was never in my favor. This time I could add the fish all at once and prevent territory aggression. I also added my midas blenny but I can't get a picture of him yet.

Yellow tang showed aggression for the first day.
Old 06-05-2010, 12:17 AM

It's been awhile since I've updated so here are a few.

Here are the frags that I bought locally from Dez.

These are the smaller ones I got.

Most of these are also from Dez.

I'm not to sure what to do with this plate coral. I feel it is too big compared to the rest of the corals I have. Perhaps I will keep the blennys spot and frag off the rest to sell.

Here is what my tank looks like currently.
Old 06-06-2010, 08:55 PM

I've picked up some frags recently and glued them down. Here are some of the corals in my tank.

Zoas

SPS

Old 06-16-2010, 01:00 AM

I was looking through some photos and I found pictures of my frags that survived my move. Here are a couple of the bigger ones.

Time from March 30, 2009 to June 6, 2010

background on the left side
Old 08-22-2010, 08:29 PM

Aug 22 Update

I've since sold my yellow and bowder blue tangs. They were too big for my tank and when the aggression came around they had to go. When they were gone my tank was very quiet but I seen some interesting things. My pompom crabs would come out to eat at feeding time. Watching it defend the shrimp and hermits with its nems was something to witness.

Soon after the tangs were gone algae started started to appear. So I picked up a 3" yellow tang. This time it will be the only tang in the tank. I'm planning to get 3 royal grammas and a 6 line wrasse.

This picture was taken June 4 when I got back from Dez's coral sale. There is a lot more coral on the rocks now. The softie on the bottom left and the plate coral are gone. I'm looking for my camera so I can update with a new picture.
Old 04-05-2011, 03:00 AM

April 4, 2011

For the past 6 months I've been dealing with cyano, even with weekly water changes. I used to have carbon and gfo in my sump cleaning passively. I removed them and added a dual brs reactor and I'm currently running carbon in both. Did some massive cleaning in the display and dosed red slime remover as a last effort. The slime went away and it's been a couple months slime free. Thank God. I changed the flow in my tank downgrading from 2 K4's to a K4 & K3, cut back my sump return ~75% and pointed the returns behind the rock work on each side.
Finally my tank is cleaning up, corals are getting healthier and their colors are coming back!

Here are some pictures of the tank.

FTS

Left side

Front left

Front centre

Front right

Right side

Here are some of my favorite corals in my tank.

Pink palys, purple plate and my personable midas blenny rightly named Midas.

Purple monster and my favorite coral ever(well for now at least). I got this and it was dark brown. It is coloring up very nicely and turning purple and green. I can't wait to see this one grow!

Not sure what this is but it's looks like a rose mille but lighter and brighter in color.

Strawberry shortcake and a very nice purple sps. The shortcake is easily the hardest coral I've cared for yet. I've almost lost this one twice luckily it has survived my tank struggle.

Not sure what this blue and green coral is but I've taken I liking to it. Nice green polyps and a bright blue base.

My tank still has a way to go but it's heading in the right direction and I couldn't be happier the way my tank is recovering. I've got my fingers crossed.
Old 04-05-2011, 03:05 AM

BlueTang<3 is on a distinguished road

Where did you get the purple monster. Tanks looking good. You need to come out and get some red planet

360 Reef Tank
Old 04-05-2011, 03:22 AM

I traded 2 or 3 frags out of my tank for the monster frag. I got it 2 or 3 months ago and it has barely grown, only colored up. I will make a trip out to your house for a visit sooner or later Wes.