Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 02-18-2010, 04:23 AM

Canadian is on a distinguished road

Yeah, those pics suck. They're too overexposed to show subtle color highlights and pastel colors.

But I guess the closest thing to "real" color in my tank is the two birdsnest corals on the left. The pink one is incredibly pale and the green one is supposed to have purple polyps and they're pretty much non-existent. Even the green of that birdsnest is super pale with small patches of more vivid green.
SPS Dedicated 24x24x20 Trimless Tank | 20 g Sump | Bubbble King Mini 160 Protein Skimmer w/ Avast Swabbie | NP Biopellets in TLF Phosban Reactor | ATI Sunpower 6 x 24W T5HO Fixture | EcoTech Vortech MP20 | Modified Tunze Nanostream 6025 | Eheim 1260 Return Pump | GHL Profilux Standalone Doser dosing B-Ionic | Steel Frame Epoxy Coated Stand with Maple Panels embedded with Neodymium Magnets

"Mens sana in corpore sano"
Old 02-18-2010, 05:07 AM

lorenz0 is on a distinguished road

ya i would try feeding them. Thinking they are just hungry or it could be your light is a tad bit to low. could also try raising it
Old 02-18-2010, 02:59 PM
Staff

christyf5 is on a distinguished road

I don't know if this might help, its some neat info though.

http://reefbuilders.com/2008/09/03/g...-vivid-bright/

Personally one of the best things I did for my tank besides dosing coral snow and coral vitalizer (I can't say enough good things about this stuff) was dose potassium. It took awhile but my corals really got some amazing colors using it.

My 180 Build

Every electronic component is shipped with smoke stored deep inside.... only a real genius can find a way to set it free.
Old 02-18-2010, 04:41 PM

Thanks Christy.

I've read that SPS Colorization thing in the past. I don't know how much of it is reality and how much is fantasy given there's essentially no evidence for most of the claims made. With that said, I don't have much to lose. My biggest concern with K dosing is the inability to accurately test for it with hobbyist test kits. I actually have some Tailored Aquatics K that I've dosed intermittently in the past but I'm a little gun shy given there are no accurate test kits and that Seachem Reef Salt is reported to have adequately high K levels already.
SPS Dedicated 24x24x20 Trimless Tank | 20 g Sump | Bubbble King Mini 160 Protein Skimmer w/ Avast Swabbie | NP Biopellets in TLF Phosban Reactor | ATI Sunpower 6 x 24W T5HO Fixture | EcoTech Vortech MP20 | Modified Tunze Nanostream 6025 | Eheim 1260 Return Pump | GHL Profilux Standalone Doser dosing B-Ionic | Steel Frame Epoxy Coated Stand with Maple Panels embedded with Neodymium Magnets

Old 02-18-2010, 04:47 PM
Staff

Yeah I'm sort of on the fence about dosing all that stuff in my tank as well, esp the iron (I can already grow algae like stink, why would I want to give it more fuel?)

What about waterchanges then? How often do you do those? I did also find I got better overall coloration and polyp extension when I started doing 10% waterchanges every week.

My 180 Build

Every electronic component is shipped with smoke stored deep inside.... only a real genius can find a way to set it free.
Old 02-18-2010, 04:50 PM

chris121277 is on a distinguished road

Just tagging along here...trying to get some better color my self
Old 02-18-2010, 04:52 PM
Staff

Forgot you were running zeo so you're probly already sticking to their WC regimen

My 180 Build

Old 02-18-2010, 05:14 PM

George is on a distinguished road

Maybe because of a combination of lighting spectrum(color) and par? You have a lot of bulbs that peak at or near 450nm. That produces a lot of blue color. You are lacking some other colors. You can try to get some other color bulbs and play with the combination to see if your corals have better color.
Also these blue bulbs don't have as much par as some other bulbs that peak at lower spectrum. I don't have links that show the par of T5 bulbs since I am only interested in metal halide bulbs. But you should be able to find out the information by googling it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian View Post

Lamps: (in order from front to back) ATI Blue+, Giesemann Pure Actinic, Giesemann Midday, ATI AB Spezial, ATI Blue+, ATI Blue+
Old 02-18-2010, 06:50 PM

Christy,

I'm not actually running Zeo - just using a few additives and now using NP Biopellets.

George,

The Blue+ lamps actually have pretty close to the same PAR as lamps that would be rated some where around 10,000K to 12,000K.

See this site for more info about T5 PAR values: http://home.comcast.net/~stevelarsen00/site/?/home/

Old 02-18-2010, 09:31 PM

lorenz0 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by George View Post
Maybe because of a combination of lighting spectrum(color) and par? You have a lot of bulbs that peak at or near 450nm. That produces a lot of blue color. You are lacking some other colors. You can try to get some other color bulbs and play with the combination to see if your corals have better color.
Also these blue bulbs don't have as much par as some other bulbs that peak at lower spectrum. I don't have links that show the par of T5 bulbs since I am only interested in metal halide bulbs. But you should be able to find out the information by googling it.
actually his bulb choice is great, personally i am not a fan of middays and would run a aquablue + (or something similar instead).

As per K i barely post it due to the same reasons as you guys. i do a cap once or twice a month of TA K. Funny thing about water changes, i find that i get better results with only doing a 10% water change once every 2 weeks. You could also look into dosing b-balance for trace minerals. I haven't started dosing it yet but plan on it in the new tank once i have moved.