Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 01-05-2010, 02:44 AM

mike31154 will become famous soon enough

After seeing the photo and re-reading your original post, I can only assume that you are switching 110VAC directly with that little float switch. Not a good idea. I would rethink/redesign the whole shebang using a low voltage switching circuit through a relay.

What's in the yellow box besides the receptacles and a fuse?
Old 01-05-2010, 03:41 AM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphelps View Post
When you cut the reed or moved the switch did you take the float drum off the stick? My guess is still that the floating drum is upside down.
that makes sence.. if it is a magnet on one end of the float and it is upside down it will operate in the middle instead of at the bottom.

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.
Old 01-05-2010, 04:06 AM

Canadian is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphelps View Post
When you cut the reed or moved the switch did you take the float drum off the stick? My guess is still that the floating drum is upside down.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StirCrazy View Post
that makes sence.. if it is a magnet on one end of the float and it is upside down it will operate in the middle instead of at the bottom.

Steve
Ok now that all the dust has settled here's how things turned out after re-wiring things tonight: I re-spliced, soldered and crimped all the connections I had made. I plugged the cell phone charger back in and DAMN IT same problem. WTF!? Now, I don't recall ever removing the floating drum, in fact I know I didn't, but given there are two notches for the little stopper below the drum on the reed I moved it up and voila - fixed. It's running the skimmer perfectly again.

So thanks guys! You were right but about 30 minutes too late.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike31154 View Post
After seeing the photo and re-reading your original post, I can only assume that you are switching 110VAC directly with that little float switch. Not a good idea. I would rethink/redesign the whole shebang using a low voltage switching circuit through a relay.

What's in the yellow box besides the receptacles and a fuse?
That yellow box is the relay. It's not switching 110VAC directly. The whole float switch thing is a Coralvue low wattage float switch and is designed to run any number of low wattage devices. My BK Mini 160 is only rated at 18W. Here's a link to the high wattage model: http://www.aquacave.com/detail.aspx?ID=2573
SPS Dedicated 24x24x20 Trimless Tank | 20 g Sump | Bubbble King Mini 160 Protein Skimmer w/ Avast Swabbie | NP Biopellets in TLF Phosban Reactor | ATI Sunpower 6 x 24W T5HO Fixture | EcoTech Vortech MP20 | Modified Tunze Nanostream 6025 | Eheim 1260 Return Pump | GHL Profilux Standalone Doser dosing B-Ionic | Steel Frame Epoxy Coated Stand with Maple Panels embedded with Neodymium Magnets

"Mens sana in corpore sano"
Old 01-05-2010, 01:54 PM

mike31154 will become famous soon enough

Great, nice to see you have it running again and thanks for providing the link. I checked it out, good find and for a pretty reasonable price. .

Last edited by mike31154; 01-05-2010 at 01:58 PM.