Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Buy/Sell/Trade > Buy/Sell/Trade (Aquatics livestock related only)

Closed Thread

Old 08-14-2003, 01:30 AM

Stretch is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertcmg
OK now that we are totally off topic here are the specs on my monster

Dual AMD MP 2100 Mhz each ( overclocked to 5200 mhz)

ASUS Modo ( dual )

15,000 RPM SCSI HARD DISC 35 Gig and one 180Gig Maxtor 7200 rpm hard drive

2 Gigs ( yes 2 gigs )PC3200 Registered RAM

Adaptec SCSI Card

ATI Radeon 9700 pro

21 Inch screen

On board Sound ( I know I have to change that )
I'm sorry but i'm gonna call BS on your "monster system" running a dual processor system i do not doubt, but i really doubt the overclock you claim to have. the stock speed of the 2100+ is 1.73ghz. 2100+ is only the perfomance rating for AMD to compete with intel processors. you claim you run the processors at a speed of 5200mhz. thats a 3470 mhz increase over stock speed. when running a dual system having 2 processors running at 1.73ghz does'not equal 3.46ghz. You may have a overclock but yet to for increase of speed but 200mhz many people use watercooling inorder to keep the processor from burning up, but yet you make no meantion of watercooling. Dual processors DO NOT double your speed. Dual procs are meant to distribute the work load between the two procs.
Old 08-14-2003, 02:32 AM

bertcmg is on a distinguished road

O YA go over to overclockers.com and educate yourself. Do that before calling anyones BS

One thing that your are right about 4200 Mhz instaed of 5200 Mhz

Also I would like to clarify that the Video Card is overclocked with RivaTuner not CPU
Old 08-14-2003, 02:39 AM

And you are Wrong because Dual processors do double your speed , Its just that there is not enough software out there that is designed to take advantage of MP
Old 08-14-2003, 02:47 AM

Quinn is on a distinguished road

Ok let's all calm down, they're just plastic boxes after all. I figure you can spend thousands and thousands from month to month to stay on top of technology, or you can spend about a grand a year and be adequately set up. If I were going to blow money on something, I wouldn't put it into a computer. Maybe a reef aquarium or something - oh wait, I already do that.

Bert, what kind of price can you get on blank CD-R's? If you can get them to Alberta for about $0.30 each including shipping, I'd be very interested.

Man, n. ...His chief occupation is extermination of other animals and his own species, which, however, multiplies with such insistent rapidity as to infest the whole habitable earth, and Canada. - A. Bierce, Devil's Dictionary, 1906
Old 08-14-2003, 02:49 AM

I think we both have the same source Are your's Fuji too ?
Old 08-14-2003, 02:56 AM

Quinn is on a distinguished road

No, in the past I've had Xenon (no idea where they're from, but they were pretty good), then some generic white/blues, now generic silver/greens, which I am low on. My plan to import them from the USA didn't work out.

Man, n. ...His chief occupation is extermination of other animals and his own species, which, however, multiplies with such insistent rapidity as to infest the whole habitable earth, and Canada. - A. Bierce, Devil's Dictionary, 1906
Old 08-14-2003, 04:01 AM

Stretch is on a distinguished road

Quote:
O YA go over to overclockers.com and educate yourself. Do that before calling anyones BS

One thing that your are right about 4200 Mhz instaed of 5200 Mhz

Also I would like to clarify that the Video Card is overclocked with RivaTuner not CPU
The highest overclock for the 2100+ is only 2175 thats still only 4300mhz by your math and they sure as hell are using water cooling

look at this thread i've made about this thread on another http://www.genmay.com/showthread.php...genumber=1site

Quote:
And you are Wrong because Dual processors do double your speed , Its just that there is not enough software out there that is designed to take advantage of MP
we are in agreement (see link) 2cpus do not equal twice the power, the workload is distributed arcoss the two CPUS. I can put two V-8 engines in my truck that doesn't mean i have twice the power. If your running window XP pro which you should for a dual system right click on my computer got too system properties tell me the speed in says on there.
there may be a few program to use twice the power but the whole ponit of SMP is share the workload on the cpus

heres an article on SMP http://2cpu.com/FAQ/2cpusmpfaq.html

but to say you have twice the power all the time is unreallistic

Quote:
Why would I want a multiprocessor system if not many apps support SMP?

An SMP-capable Operating System will distribute load as evenly as possible across multiple processors. This makes multitasking very efficient. Way back when I was running a dual P-Pro 200 system overclocked to 233, I played an MP3, burnt a CD, and played Quake 2 all at once without any of those programs hiccupping. On my dual Xeon today, I can encode MP3's, watch videos, burn a CD, and play Quake 3. (The dual monitors help.)
In addition to performance benefits, there are reliability benefits as well. How many times have you had an application crash and hang your system because it's utilizing 100% of your processor? Well, with an SMP system, only once processor would be maxed out, leaving you another processor to close down the errant application. If you like to multitask, you'll find SMP is your new best friend.
Old 08-14-2003, 06:35 AM

Chad is on a distinguished road

I think this thread has moved beyond the buy/sell/trade forum...

Chad
Old 08-14-2003, 07:18 AM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad
I think this thread has moved beyond the buy/sell/trade forum...

Chad
Indeed it has. Please continue this in the lounge if it needs to be continued. Thanks!!
Old 08-14-2003, 11:05 AM

Streach I wont debate you on the subject of MP because you and your buddies are obviously unarmed.

Now go and get a life

Admins Please close this thread I will have to start another one some other time because this one has lost all relevance
Closed Thread