Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 08-18-2009, 02:38 AM

PoonTang is on a distinguished road

You said you tank was ok for the first year then started to go south? Improves after a water change for a short while? Mabey look at the possibility that something has built up in your tank to toxic levels. Are you skimming enough, do you have enough LR, running phosban, what shape is your sand bed, running a Fuge? All valid questions that should be looked at also. Look also for things like stray voltage, some foreign metal object in the tank, something you started dosing. I find it odd that parameters that are slightly off would cause so much trouble. Especially if your levels were the same during the first year.
Old 08-18-2009, 02:46 AM

seanoman is on a distinguished road

Hey thanks everybody for your help so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoonTang View Post
You said you tank was ok for the first year then started to go south? Improves after a water change for a short while? Mabey look at the possibility that something has built up in your tank to toxic levels. Are you skimming enough, do you have enough LR, running phosban, what shape is your sand bed, running a Fuge? All valid questions that should be looked at also. Look also for things like stray voltage, some foreign metal object in the tank, something you started dosing. I find it odd that parameters that are slightly off would cause so much trouble. Especially if your levels were the same during the first year.
As far as skimming, we have a BK300 external, which i believe should be more than enough. About 200 lbs of LR. ROWAPhos running in the other phosban reactor. We have a bare bottom tank and no fuge. I have also looked for stray voltage and other things in the tank. So far have seen nothing.

Marie, I have also heard of that happening, but I know that is not the case for us, because all the equipment is in its own fish room and we don't ever use any of that stuff in there.

Dave and Ian, I am dialing back my Calcium reactor as we speak, and I will be slowly dripping in some kalkwasser as well to try and slowly bring up the DKH.

Again, thanks so much for everyones quick posts it is greatly appreciated!!
Old 08-18-2009, 02:57 AM

Oh, I forgot to mention, that none of this has affected any of the fish in the tank. They are all doing better than ever. They are all in great health.
Old 08-18-2009, 03:07 AM

Sebae again is on a distinguished road

Once you get your Mg up it will be easier to raise the alk and maintain it.
Old 08-18-2009, 03:08 AM

Oceanic is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebae again View Post
once you get your mg up it will be easier to raise the alk and maintain it.
+1
Old 08-18-2009, 03:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedfrags.com View Post
Your right...
Old 08-18-2009, 03:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanoman View Post
Hey thanks everybody for your help so far.

As far as skimming, we have a BK300 external, which i believe should be more than enough. About 200 lbs of LR. ROWAPhos running in the other phosban reactor. We have a bare bottom tank and no fuge. I have also looked for stray voltage and other things in the tank. So far have seen nothing.

Marie, I have also heard of that happening, but I know that is not the case for us, because all the equipment is in its own fish room and we don't ever use any of that stuff in there.

Dave and Ian, I am dialing back my Calcium reactor as we speak, and I will be slowly dripping in some kalkwasser as well to try and slowly bring up the DKH.

Again, thanks so much for everyones quick posts it is greatly appreciated!!
Slow is good when dealing with ALK!
Old 08-18-2009, 03:32 PM

Any suggestions on what to use to increase the MG. I know Tailor Aquatics has a liquid form of MG that you can dose. Anybody have experience with that?
Old 08-18-2009, 04:20 PM

Haloreef is on a distinguished road
Default Mg

Sean I use Zeo Mag in my calcium reactor aprox 10% of my reactor medium volume. It seems to work for me.
It was a tip I got from Superfudge when I first started keeping SPS.
Old 08-18-2009, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanoman View Post
Any suggestions on what to use to increase the MG. I know Tailor Aquatics has a liquid form of MG that you can dose. Anybody have experience with that?
There are many ways of doing this including the Zeomag, I used to run Zeo mag in the reactor but now I just pour in Kent Tech-M into my auto top off resevoir. I go through about a 64oz bottle in about 6-8 weeks. I keep my magnesium very high; infact, I used to run the magnesium at or around 2100 ppm in order to battle a some bryopsis on some new rock (only use Tech-M for this) worked like a charm! I have seen no ill effects of running high Magnesium and I actully believe it promotes faster Coral growth and quicker healing of frags etc.

Tech-M love this stuff
Epson Salts (walmart) Cheap but Sulfate may get to high ??
Bulk reef supply Great if you go through lots.

Last edited by Oceanic; 08-18-2009 at 05:34 PM.