Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 06-30-2009, 05:58 PM

xtreme is on a distinguished road

You'd be better off getting the supplements from the Chemmaster than the LFS. It will save you alot of money.
Old 06-30-2009, 06:42 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eb0la11 View Post
I find it weird that a fish store uses it exclusively with really nice results but there are these problems.

Lots of fish stores use lots of different salts with really nice results. Regardless of salt you choose, you'll need to supplement somehow just to accomodate consumption by corals. Ca, alk, and some people are concerned with MG, all get depleted, regardless of what salt you use. Now if your supplementation program (reactor, balling method) can compensate for the lower levels in your change water, it doesn't matter what the salt comes with, for the most part.
Example. I used IO for years, Ca about 360 out of the bucket. My tank was constant at about 430ppm Ca. I change 10% with a water change, my Ca drops to maybe 420ish. Still well within acceptable range, and my reactor compensates and raises the tank back to 430 in a day or two. So monitor the levels that are important to you, and figure out the trend of your tank. If your reactor/balling/dosing regime handles the difference, you don't need to worry about what is in the bucket, other than a quality salt.
To keep a nice tank does not mean having to complicate things, keep it simple, watch how the tank reacts, and adjust technique accordingly.
Old 06-30-2009, 07:09 PM

Eb0la11 is on a distinguished road

So how important is a Calcium reactor for a reef tank? Does the reactor actually dose in calcium like you described above?

Currently I wasnt planning on getting one in the initial setup of my tank. I'll have a 165G reef tank with 20G Sump/10G refugium (all in one 30 G partitioned aquarium).

I won't be getting corals until my tank is more established in 3-4 months or so. I am hoping to fill it in the next 2-4 weeks depending on when its finished being built, really....
Old 06-30-2009, 07:22 PM

A reactor is only one method of delivering calcium and IMO wouldn't be necessary for a new tank. I have a tank with dozens of stony corals and have no problem with simple 2 part dosing. A reactor may be something to look into down the road but I wouldn't worry about one yet.
Old 06-30-2009, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtreme View Post
A reactor is only one method of delivering calcium and IMO wouldn't be necessary for a new tank. I have a tank with dozens of stony corals and have no problem with simple 2 part dosing. A reactor may be something to look into down the road but I wouldn't worry about one yet.
Ok good. What is simple 2 part dosing? I assume calcium just comes in two parts and I put a portion into the sump?
Old 06-30-2009, 07:27 PM

Here is a good article about how to make your own calcium and alkalinity supplements and will help you determine how much to start dosing.

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-02/rhf/index.php
Old 06-30-2009, 07:30 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtreme View Post
A reactor is only one method of delivering calcium and IMO wouldn't be necessary for a new tank.
Agreed. There are lots of ways to dose Ca/Alk, and it's not something to worry about for some time. In the beginning, once you have corals that are growing, water changes will suffice. After that, several commercial or home made 2 part products are available.
Once you have a tank full of corals and you can't keep up, you can look at some of the automated methods of dosing.
Old 06-30-2009, 10:55 PM
Rest In Peace

Doug has disabled reputation

http://216.187.96.54/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=40
Old 06-30-2009, 11:14 PM

whatcaneyedo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to whatcaneyedo

According to some water tests done on various brands of salt mix the Calcium, Alkalinity and Magnesium of Reef Crystals is 490, 13, and 1440 respectively at a salinity of 1.026 which looks just fine to me. http://reefcentral.com/forums/showth...readid=1287118

To those of you who said that this salt mix would have low levels and needed to be supplemented, what levels were your test kits reading? Has Reef Crystals recently changed their formula or do you target even higher levels than those?

Old 120gal Tank Journal
New 225gal Tank Journal
May 2010 TOTM
The 10th Annual Prince George Reef Tank Tour
Old 06-30-2009, 11:30 PM

Thanks whatcaneyedo, I saw that thread. I guess I didnt read down to the reef crystals section as I thought it'd be titled "Instant Ocean Reef Crystals".

Those levels do look good, and substantially different than regular IO. I'll see how my livestock/corals do in it before I start dosing.