Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 05-13-2009, 05:12 AM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by iansfishy View Post
How can people move their whole systems in one day without a cycle?
easy, set up new tank with new sand, new water. put corals and fish in buckets with water swish rock off in old tank and put in bucket with wet newspaper and some water on it to keep it moist. load truck drive to new tank, put rock in, then corals and finaly fish. don't use old water or sand. due to the porosity of the rock it has a tone of backteria in it, where as the water colume has virtualy non compared to the rock. so you end up with a instant cycle and all is good.

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.
Old 05-13-2009, 05:15 AM

Myka will become famous soon enough

The rock will be up for grabs in 2-3 weeks I think. Maybe as early as the weekend. Depends if I manage to get the dang tank set up on my days off (Fri/Sat). S'toon is good...snowing right now.

Move tank in a day? Use old rock, make sure it doesn't dry out AT ALL (keep it covered with water is best), and use new sand.

To sterilize new sand I rinse really well in a bunch of RO/DI water, drain. Then add fresh RO/DI mixed with bleach (yep, bleach about 3 tbsp in 40ish gallons I think), mix that up real well, and let it sit for an hour or so mixing every once in awhile. Then rinse really well 3 times with RO/DI, on the 2nd rinse add 10x the dose of Prime. Rinse well the third time with plain RO/DI. Then put it on a cookie sheet and bake it in the oven until it's really dry...OR lay it out in the sun for a few days. After this, I will test a handful in a small container (with lid), mix it up with saltwater, let it sit (mix every once in awhile) for 24 hours (keep lid on), then test it for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate. If os, then the sand is good to go. If not, then I repeat all the steps. It's quite the process...usually it's not even worth it, easier to just buy new stuff.

SPS fanatic.