Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > DIY

Old 05-03-2009, 06:26 PM

AndyL is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to AndyL

it's a fonera 2100; running openwrt - so not so easy to unbrick

The plan was to have the fonera running a webserver; linked to my network via wifi. No shields at this time (though I've got a few protoshields for the inputs/outputs once I'm happy with their operation on the breadboard.

Source is freely available - see links above + tons on the arduino.cc forums; just about everything you could want to do is there (including the app i'm currently playing with to use the palm as a temporary lcd display so I can play more while I figure out how to unbrick the router).

I'll post things up more when things actually work right My CGI scripting on the fonera side is suspect for the bricking, so I'm not going to torture people more than necessary just yet
By reading, replying to, commenting about, or in any way accessing the material in this post; including but not limited to storing in a database, retrieving from a database, viewing in a web browser, including it in or making a reference to it in a legal document, or accidentally glancing at it you agree to send me $100.
Old 05-03-2009, 10:11 PM

byee is on a distinguished road

No worries. Glad you have everything in hand.

I'm very interested in 'adventures' putting together your controller since I'm also looking at building my controller on the same platform.

I'll definitely be monitoring this thread for your progress.
Old 05-04-2009, 04:06 PM

BlueAbyss is on a distinguished road

Hmm, interesting... I'm doing something similar, but much simpler ie: no internet, just a standalone controller to keep everything in line (and run my LED lights) on my yet to be built 6 gallon. I just don't want to have to worry about such a small volume of water.

I'll be tracking this... and it's good to know that there is someone to ask questions of in this regard
Old 05-05-2009, 06:10 PM

There's actually a bunch of people working on this type of project nano-reef forums each using slightly different methods. Though I do disagree with the 'commercial' venture project... Seems stupid in my eyes to take a nice open source design then completely rework it so you can't just use the plugin modules already available with the arduino platform...

Waiting on a bunch of parts right now for my LED driver shield design... Basically 4 software configurable 100-1500mA constant current drivers mounted in a shield format. Although I'm pondering whether it's really needed - does incorporate PWM dimming, but that seems redundant when you can simply adjust the current to accomplish the same. Nice part is each driver can feedback to the arduino mA and voltage (possibly looking at adding I2C and adding temp feedback as well)- so realtime monitoring of the LEDs is possible (thus splashes, shorts, overheats or plain old LED failures can be accomodated - and handled appropriately, saving the array rather than burning it up).

Albeit the internet connection isn't necessary - I think it's ridiculously handy to have; to be able to graph out tank parameters so you can watch for trends (ie heaters underperforming, pH fluctuations, topoff use, plus day to day monitoring (sms text message /email if the light bulb burned out or if the main pump had to be shut down for low water levels etc)
By reading, replying to, commenting about, or in any way accessing the material in this post; including but not limited to storing in a database, retrieving from a database, viewing in a web browser, including it in or making a reference to it in a legal document, or accidentally glancing at it you agree to send me $100.

Last edited by AndyL; 05-05-2009 at 06:14 PM.
Old 06-17-2009, 10:56 PM

Making no progress lately... But torturing delphinius last night - noticed there's now a full arduino reef controler posted - complete with code and wiring and all those things some of us have fun figuring out...

reefController - part 1 - The power pack
http://reefprojects.com/w/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=21
reefController - part 2 - The controller
http://reefprojects.com/w/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=22
reefController - part 3 - All together
http://reefprojects.com/w/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=23
Old 06-18-2009, 02:36 AM

banditpowdercoat is on a distinguished road

Drooling!!!!

Umm, a tank or 5
Old 06-19-2009, 02:13 AM

byee is on a distinguished road

AndyL

thanks for posting the links !
Old 06-19-2009, 03:54 AM

pterfloth is on a distinguished road

Please continue to post your progress. I too am very interested in a DIY controller. I would really like web monitoring.
Old 06-19-2009, 04:39 AM

Vancouver Reefer is on a distinguished road

Hi Guys,

I have been making quite abit of progress on my controller so far. Infact i have run out of I/O and memory, So i found this little guy to upgrade to:

http://www.pjrc.com/teensy/

They are fully compatible with all the arduino code and are great for a larger controller.

My controller is currently at the following stage:

ATO
Automatic water changer
Tank temp
led lighting with sunrise and sunset
PWM cooling fan control
flood sensor
heater and chiller runaway cutoffs
alarm
LCD
Real time clock

To be finished:

PH and salinity circuits for tank and fresh salt mix
4 head perilstatic doser
Internet GUI Text message alarm notification.

Please see my link at the bottom of the page for a little idea of what i got up to at the start of this project. Now i have gotten a new job i now have the finances to get back into this full swing!!

If anyone has any questions please feel free to ask and ill see if i can help out!

VR

The Ultimate DIY Aquarium Controller of the 21st Century!!!

LED's, PH, Salinity, Clock, LCD, ATO, Auto Water Changer, Variable Speed Cooling Fan Control and lots, lots more......

Old 07-07-2009, 02:22 AM

KrazyKuch is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to KrazyKuch

I have been looking for awhile for a circuit for measuring Salinity....have you found one or designed one....I believe it works on the same principle as ph and orp, but am not sure!

Kevin