Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 03-24-2009, 05:04 AM

Myka will become famous soon enough

This should be a good tank build! Nice looking rockwork. Do you have much reef keeping experience? What do you plan to keep in your tank?

I don't understand why you would spend all that money on the equipment and then not buy a $200 RO/DI filter for water? That boggles my mind!!!

SPS fanatic.

Old 03-24-2009, 05:45 AM

banditpowdercoat is on a distinguished road

Yup, Get a RO/DI. Trust us. if just to save you from the Hair Algae that WILL run rampant.

Umm, a tank or 5
Old 03-24-2009, 06:02 AM

brickwood is on a distinguished road

I have had many years experience in keeping tanks. I do have an RO/DI but I was not willing to wait a week to fill the tank. By the time this tank cycles all the baddies in the water will be gone anyway and the amount of water changes I am having to do the good outweighs the bad. The equipment I have purchased is all high end equipment and will take care of all my fishy needs. I do value all of your opinions but I really do know what I am doing. Hair algae is part of the normal cycle anyway. It's going to happen no matter what.
Old 03-24-2009, 06:54 AM

3MTA3 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickwood View Post
I have had many years experience in keeping tanks. I do have an RO/DI but I was not willing to wait a week to fill the tank. By the time this tank cycles all the baddies in the water will be gone anyway and the amount of water changes I am having to do the good outweighs the bad. The equipment I have purchased is all high end equipment and will take care of all my fishy needs. I do value all of your opinions but I really do know what I am doing. Hair algae is part of the normal cycle anyway. It's going to happen no matter what.
Years of experience do not account for making one mistake . It is good to hear you are buying the best equipment you can as that one of the best things you could do rather than buying mediocre stuff and having to upgrade later. You will get the hair algae specially with using that hose to fill your tank but as long as you accpet it and understand it will come then kudos to you. All the best and I hope to see future pics of the tank build.

with respect

Bruce S.
Old 03-25-2009, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3MTA3 View Post
Years of experience do not account for making one mistake . It is good to hear you are buying the best equipment you can as that one of the best things you could do rather than buying mediocre stuff and having to upgrade later. You will get the hair algae specially with using that hose to fill your tank but as long as you accpet it and understand it will come then kudos to you. All the best and I hope to see future pics of the tank build.

with respect

Bruce S.
Thanks Bruce. I do like positive feedback. I do believe the equipment choices were well thought out. I had a lot of help from friends and the staff at AA. They really should pay me for plugging their store so much LOL!
Old 03-25-2009, 05:06 AM

GreenSpottedPuffer is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickwood View Post
Great build so far.

I have to disagree about hair algae happening no matter what. I have cycled more tanks than I can remember, always using RO and only once ever had HA. Im not saying you have to use RO but HA outbreaks can be avoided.

Going to be a nice tank!
Old 03-31-2009, 06:30 AM

Well the lights finally came in today. Very exciting. No new pictures yet. They are as follows.

T5's
4 x fiji purple
4 x actinic
4 x duo

Halides
3 x 14k 250w moguls

All Aquascience bulbs.

I am hoping this will be enough light. LOL! The tank has been cycling for a couple of weeks with some liverock and looks good so far. Now some light.
Old 03-31-2009, 02:43 PM

fishytime will become famous soon enough

Pics!....please.
260g mixed reef, 105g sump, water blaster 7000 return, Bubble King SM 300 skimmer, Aqua Controller Jr, 4 radions, 3 Tunze 6055s,1 tunze 6065, 2 Vortech MP40s, Vortech MP20, Tunze ATO, GHL SA2 doser, 2 TLF reactors (1 carbon, 1 rowa). http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=50034 . Tank Video here http://www.vimeo.com/2304609 and here http://www.vimeo.com/16591694
Old 03-31-2009, 03:07 PM
Staff

christyf5 is on a distinguished road

Definitely more pics. I am totally loving that reefceramics, it just looks so cool.

My 180 Build

Every electronic component is shipped with smoke stored deep inside.... only a real genius can find a way to set it free.
Old 04-01-2009, 07:34 AM

Alright. Hung the lights tonight. WOW! Better than I thought.
This is a picture of the bottom with all the T5's and halides

Before the lights were turned on.

Logo

Side shot.

A shot with just the T5's. One bulb was burnt out so not all the lights are on.

All lights are on. Looks great. The shimmer in the water was awesome. I am really glad we chose these lights. It was a great combination of T5's and Halides.

Some of the rock work.

The RO will be installed soon and an auto top-off is in the plans. Tested the water tonight and everything checks out. Just have to decide when to add the fish.