Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 03-04-2009, 01:37 PM

Key Equine is on a distinguished road

I don't have a skimmer yet but have been told that the Deltec hang-on-back skimmers are top of the line... That is what I'll be getting eventually.
I have been doing about a 20% water change once a week.
Old 03-04-2009, 01:41 PM
Banned

Leah is on a distinguished road

What size tank?????
Old 03-06-2009, 12:24 AM

whiteangelbw is on a distinguished road
Default to drill or not to drill

anyone else, any tank pics. will be picking up my tank tomorrow and have to decide to drill or not to drill.
Old 03-08-2009, 08:30 PM

Hi all,
Ok just got tank, and measurements are 20l x 18d x 28h, roughly a 40 gal. Am wondering on weather to get it drilled or if the canister filters are suffice. Do you two run filter or do you just use the filter as a circulator. All help is aprreciated.
Thanks, Angela
Old 03-08-2009, 09:22 PM
Gold Member

SeaHorse_Fanatic will become famous soon enough

I don't run filters on sw tanks (these are fw cannisters that just become nitrate factories on a saltie tank).

My seahorse tank is 2/3s of my 90g wide sump hooked up to a 120g fowlr. It overflows into the 1/3 section that is still a sump with an ASM G4x skimmer & a Sedra 9000 return pump.

I plant lots of macroalgae, especially Prolifera so the ponies have places to hang on to.

I have no extra current in the tank at this time, other than a percentage from the return pump.

The seahorses live with a jawfish, a blenny, a sixline wrasse & a leopard wrasse (the oldest neighbour).

Hope that helps.

Anthony
Old 03-11-2009, 02:19 PM

Hi all,
Key Equine - what kind of canister filter are you using, and what are you using for media. How is it going without the skimmer, as I might not be able to get one right away either.

Leah - Are you using a media in your filter and how does the pump and airstones work for circulation, do the bubbles not bother the seahorses. I was just thinking about using hang on filter for refugium, just for extra filtration and more pod production.

Thanks for all the help,
Angela

Last edited by whiteangelbw; 03-11-2009 at 02:20 PM. Reason: change wording
Old 03-11-2009, 02:51 PM

Hello again,
I am using the Rena xp2 that I had already from my FW tank, in it I have mostly live rock rubble, then a carbon insert. I have heard both sides of the filter in SW debate, but I had it already so wanted to make use of it. So far things are going fine without the skimmer, but the tank is still really new of course. I do want to get one in a few months time.
I have been told that you can get away without a skimmer for a seahorse, and I feed my seahorse very carefully at a feeding station, and then if anything gets away from him it is quickly picked up by the cleaning crew, so it's staying pretty clean...
Old 03-11-2009, 03:26 PM
Banned

Leah is on a distinguished road

Hi,
Yes, I used a sponge and carbon. I have just removed the filter and I am going to see
if I can go without the hang on. I was using an aquaclear 70. I have added another air
stone. But I do have a small remora skimmer. They do not seem to be bothered in the
least by the bubbles. Hope it helps. I will let you know how it goes.
Old 03-11-2009, 06:14 PM

Hi,
Thank you both for your imput and help. It helped tremendously. I have decided to go the canster filter route and will be buying a skimmer before I add the seahorses. I will post pics of my progress but I probably won't be ready for seahorses for at least a couple of months, want to make sure my system is cycled and completely ready before I add them. Will keep you posted. Again, thanks for all the help.
Angela
Old 03-11-2009, 10:18 PM

Hey! A little bit late but here is a photo of my seahorse tank (seahorse itself is mostly hiding... hitched on the blue pipe at the back of the tank...