Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 02-19-2009, 04:42 AM

ReefJunkie is on a distinguished road

I have used it to treat my frag and display tanks (mostly zoos) a few times over the last year without any side effects and it works for the brown fungus....Soon as the zoos get better I stop and continue carbon. I use Ascorbic Acid from the health food store 1000mg gel caps, half a cap twice a day. That was about 30 gallons of water.
Old 02-19-2009, 05:27 AM

fkshiu is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinl View Post
i have to say, i think this is a suicide method. Vitamins are toxic at high levels, you ("you" being you or zoas, or anything else) get too much of the stuff and you will die. there are no vitamin tests on the market; they occur at low low concentrations because they're supposed to. I never dose what i don't test for; seems like it's just asking for something to go wrong. long story short, i think this is the same kind of BS as blind iodine dosing.
I do agree with that. However, ascorbic acid is water soluble so even if you do OD you should be able to remove it relatively quickly and easily with water changes. It's not like a heavy metal which will build up over time. Linus Pauling advocated mega-doses of vitamin C for human health. Although the efficacy of this is unproven (and a bit quacky if you ask me), I don't think there was a big safety issue.

I've never really had all that much luck with fancy zoas in my tank so I might give it a try starting at a low dosage and keep a close eye on things - not that I'm expecting a miracle or anything.

Last edited by fkshiu; 02-19-2009 at 05:33 AM.