Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum

Old 02-05-2009, 03:14 PM

supersmile is on a distinguished road

Thanks for all the replies. So I have come to think that it may be caused by the dechlorinator I use Pure. I have been told to do a water change and not use the Pure although what will remove the chlorine if I don't use the Pure? I am a little concerned about not using a water conditioner. I am also going to add carbon to my canister filter. I ran the skimmer all night and there hasn't been any decrease in foam/water production???
Old 02-05-2009, 04:55 PM

Diana is on a distinguished road

Letting the water degass overnight should clear the chlorine prior to adding to the tank, especially if you have a pump running on it. Or you could pick up an R/O unit or tap water filter.

I would also try the vinegar and water trick, just to rule that out. We have a 1.5 year old MCE600 that works perfect even with Prime added to the water, but we also have a client's skimmer that is doing this exact thing and we just cant figure it out.

Old 02-05-2009, 06:31 PM

Raf is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Raf

Use Prime, I use it and all the MCE 600's are fine with it, what is most likely causing them to act up is the newly mixed saltwater. So, they may act up after a waterchange, but i don't think it is from the prime.

It may take a week or more for your skimmer to settle down after carbon use and not using the PURE, so be patient.

Raf & Diana

Our Reef Tank:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...5&id=883435639

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Aquat...es/46469801680

Our Photos:
Nikon D7000 DSLR w Nikkor 2.8d 60mm micro lens amongst others
Old 02-05-2009, 07:13 PM

BlueAbyss is on a distinguished road

Seems to me that since you are using tap water in your tank that there will be a lot of junk in the water to foam...
Old 02-06-2009, 04:37 PM

I have never used an ro/di unit swith previous skimmers that worked fine so why would I have to use it with the "best skimmer"? Doesn't really make sense???? Would a tap water filter work OK???? This is so frustrating........
Old 02-06-2009, 04:54 PM

BCOrchidGuy is on a distinguished road

Edmonton water like Vancouver water contains chloramines not chlorine, you need to add some type of water conditioner as chloramines are chlorine and ammonia that is ionically bound.

http://www.epcor.ca/en-ca/Customers/...FAQs.aspx#fish

Prime is excellent as it does not contain aloe or slime etc...

Douglas
Old 02-06-2009, 05:19 PM

I have been using Prime and that is what people are telling me is screwing up my skimmer.....I am so confused and frustrated that I can't get this thing to work properly.
Old 02-06-2009, 05:31 PM

BCOrchidGuy is on a distinguished road

Not sure what is making your skimmer behave the way it is, just to recap, you've adjusted air up and down? Water flow up and down? One thing you may want to try is to restrict the amount of water flowing into the chamber, don't restrict the intake on the pump but restrict the output between the pump and the skimmer chamber. I've probably not worded that right but maybe you'll get the idea.

Douglas
Old 02-07-2009, 12:06 AM

OK so I think I have the collection cup bubbles under control by adjusting my air to 2 o'clock and running carbon although now the return pipe with the degassing plate is causing major bubbles to be released into the tank???? My water in the tank isn't clear at all it is juat all bubbly.
Old 02-07-2009, 12:17 AM

o.c.d. is on a distinguished road

So as for why you seem to have it covered. Now here is the mod I did to my tuboflotor 1000, and the same to the deltec this is for the rare time I've use chemi pure and instead of on the floor it goes in a bucket. Just cut the overflow tube and what you don't see is the 90 elbow I add and extra hose. I also have to plug the little hole on the top. I keep the bucket under the unit with some towel strategically placed. Hope this helps ( It's better than standing there)