Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 06-01-2003, 02:21 PM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

Sam I was looking at that.. from the picture all I can realy tell is thta it is a fancy level controler that takes its supplu from a 5 gal bucket? is this right? If so for 24 bucks you can buy a float valve from J&L and 11 bucks you can buy a 5 gal water jug at save on foods. then about 10 bucks in JG fittings and you have a DIY top off system.. the float valves are reliable, I take mine out and clean it every 6 months to be safe.

I also have a auto topoff system in the closet that hooks to your RO unit.. I am thinking of using this in the new tank but I am leary about haveing my RO plumbed directly to the tank so I will have to come up with a secondary shutoff to make it more safe.

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.
Old 06-01-2003, 05:16 PM
Rest In Peace

Doug has disabled reputation

Believe me, there is no comparison between any float switch system and the Tunze Osmolator.
Old 06-01-2003, 05:16 PM

Samw is on a distinguished road

Doug, I'll go to J&L next week and see if they have an osmolater in stock so I can get a better idea of what this thing looks like then.

Steve, does your auto topoff use gravity to feed the water into the sump/tank? I can't do that easily. I need the bucket to be below the tank and a pump to push water upwards.
Old 06-01-2003, 06:57 PM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

Ahhh ok that makes sence then.

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.
Old 06-01-2003, 09:54 PM
Rest In Peace

Would it not also be pretty hard to use a float switch system in a tank? I have an electronic one that uses fishing line and a fishing bobber in the water. Best one I ever had.
Old 06-02-2003, 03:02 AM

Buccaneer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Lowey
Would it not also be pretty hard to use a float switch system in a tank? I have an electronic one that uses fishing line and a fishing bobber in the water. Best one I ever had.
You got a pic of that puppy there Doug ?

Sounds interesting

Cheers

“The most important decision you make is to be in a good mood.”
― Voltaire
Old 06-02-2003, 12:35 PM
Rest In Peace

I could take one if I had never dropped my camera on the concrete floor. Dont work so good now.

Its a black box, about 4in. by 2in. and an inch thick. It just has an electrical contact in it and a plug in on the back. A mono line hangs from the switch with a large fishing bobber on the end. I have a small weight on the bobber to keep it sraight but not enough to pull it down.

It just opens and closes the contact with the rise & fall of the water. I have been using it of and on, {like my sump}, for about 5 years.
Old 07-21-2003, 03:35 AM

Well, I'm heading out of town for a few days. I'm losing about a gallon of water a day from evaporation so I set up my new Osmolator Universal and it works GREAT! With my lights on a timer and automatic feeder filled up, I'm all set to go away.
Old 09-04-2003, 11:10 PM

Quinn is on a distinguished road

I am currently using a toilet float valve for top-off, and I am finding it is plugged every day. Currently I am extremely poor (government shorted me on student loans and suddenly I can't even afford my books), but as soon as I am making money again I would like to get something a little more reliable. Would this osmolator device simply sit in my tank and trigger a pump that I could have downstairs or something? I'm just planning to use a 45-gallon drum for water. Sorry if this is already covered above, it's been a long day.

Man, n. ...His chief occupation is extermination of other animals and his own species, which, however, multiplies with such insistent rapidity as to infest the whole habitable earth, and Canada. - A. Bierce, Devil's Dictionary, 1906
Old 09-04-2003, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teevee
Would this osmolator device simply sit in my tank and trigger a pump that I could have downstairs or something? I'm just planning to use a 45-gallon drum for water. Sorry if this is already covered above, it's been a long day.
Man, you are pushing the limits. You could get the more powerful and expensive pump that could push up to 6.2 meters. That might be able to do what you want (ie. Pump water up to the next floor.)

http://www.tunze.com/usa/en-gb/dept_129.html

See Osmolator Kit 66, Turb. el.