Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > DIY

Old 01-27-2009, 05:12 AM

spoot is on a distinguished road

Won't really help the leveling, but it will help alleviate pressure points from the stand. I use 3 layers of high density laminate floor underlay under all my tanks. It actually compresses, with the tank weight, so it seems like it would do more than the rigid foam insulation.
Old 01-27-2009, 05:17 AM

GreenSpottedPuffer is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoot View Post
Won't really help the leveling, but it will help alleviate pressure points from the stand. I use 3 layers of high density laminate floor underlay under all my tanks. It actually compresses, with the tank weight, so it seems like it would do more than the rigid foam insulation.
Our floors are quite level and exposed concrete, so no wood or anything for the stand to compress into.

I like your idea of laminate floor underlay though. I think I will give that a shot.
Old 01-27-2009, 06:05 AM

fkshiu is on a distinguished road

Ain't nothing between the tank and the stand for me. The whole foam thing gives you a false sense of security. If you've got a warped/uneven stand, that will translate through any foam underlay. Think about it - I don't think any of the big glass tank makers recommend foam between their tanks and stands even in lawsuit crazy America.

Now if you have an acrylic tank with the entire bottom resting on the stand I can see where foam may be required, but on a glass tank where the rim takes all of the weight I don't think there's a real gain. Better to ensure your stand is true/level/square/flat to begin with.
Old 01-27-2009, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fkshiu View Post
Ain't nothing between the tank and the stand for me. The whole foam thing gives you a false sense of security. If you've got a warped/uneven stand, that will translate through any foam underlay. Think about it - I don't think any of the big glass tank makers recommend foam between their tanks and stands even in lawsuit crazy America.

Now if you have an acrylic tank with the entire bottom resting on the stand I can see where foam may be required, but on a glass tank where the rim takes all of the weight I don't think there's a real gain. Better to ensure your stand is true/level/square/flat to begin with.
Yeah this is the argument I usually hear the other way. And you are right, many manufacturers actually void the warranty of a tank if you use foam under it.

I know when I asked on RC about this for my current tank, everyone said not to use foam. I thought I would ask again with this tank because its quite a bit bigger than my current tank. At least footprint wise.

72"x30" is a lot of footprint for things to be "off" with the stand no matter how well its made.

I agree though, the first goal is to make sure the stand is as close to perfect as possible.
Old 01-27-2009, 06:37 AM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

I seem to recall always reading foam for no-trim tanks and no foam for trimmed tanks. I used foam on my tank but not sure if I would if there was trim. Does the foam end up contacting the floated glass bottom if you use it?

Seems to me like the trim might really sink into the foam due to high pressure and then the bottom may touch the foam but not as evenly as when the tank has no trim.

Just thinking aloud tho. Haven't had trim on a tank in some time.
Old 01-27-2009, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastlight View Post
I seem to recall always reading foam for no-trim tanks and no foam for trimmed tanks. I used foam on my tank but not sure if I would if there was trim. Does the foam end up contacting the floated glass bottom if you use it?

Seems to me like the trim might really sink into the foam due to high pressure and then the bottom may touch the foam but not as evenly as when the tank has no trim.

Yeah this is why some people have told me NOT to use foam. Because the bottom pane of glass is designed NOT to touch anything except the trim. And when you add foam, it often sinks deep enough into the foam to contact the bottom glass. I guess over time this can be a problem.

I am super confused now if I should use it or not. Many people have told me to just make sure the stand is level and use a sheet of plywood.
Old 01-27-2009, 07:58 AM

BlueAbyss is on a distinguished road

If it won't void the warranty on the tank, and the tank is trimmed, I would use a thin sheet of foam that is thin enough that it could not possibly contact the bottom of the tank. Like a 1/4" or so... the underlay idea sounds good.

I was debating this on my tank, and since I've removed the trim from the tank I will be using a sheet of foam under my tank, to cushion the bottom pane of glass. Not because the stand (or rather 'wall unit') I'm using isn't level (which it isn't, I need to shim it), but because I feel that anything between the two flat surfaces, even something as small as a grain of sand, will stress the glass.
Old 01-27-2009, 11:02 AM

awa1979 is on a distinguished road

I've never used foam, always been told its not needed on aquariums with a trim.

So far never had an issue in 20 years.
Old 01-27-2009, 03:35 PM

spoot is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastlight View Post

The foam for non-trimmed tank is even more important, as the pressure points would be directly on the piece of glass if you had not foam.

For the tank that have a raised bottom pane, the side pieces of glass are actually sitting in the plastic cradle, and the bottom pane is suspended in between the with silicone. With rigid foam insulation (pink or blue stuff), there is just not enough weight to compress the foam so that the bottom pane would touch the foam.

Just a quick calculation to put you at ease, consider a 200g tank, with water etc it weighs about 2000lbs. It you have a 1.5 inch wide trim, on a tank with the same footprint as greenspottedpuffer's new tank, you'd have about 200 linear inches of trim, and about 300 square inches of trim. So if you divide the weight equally, 2000lbs/300square inches =6.6667pounds per square inch, or 6.6667psi. It takes a lot more than 6.6667psi to compress that foam.
Old 01-27-2009, 04:02 PM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

Yes I use foam on my trimless tanks.

If the foam won't touch the trim I'd use it as well then...