Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 01-23-2009, 06:16 PM

pterfloth is on a distinguished road

I have several toadstools and a huge (14") devil's claw colony that I have fragged, torch coral, frogspan, mushrooms, zoas, trumpets, richordia and a lot of sps in my 120. I get great PE and awesome growth and good color. I am not running carbon and have been concerned about the leathers but everything seems to be going very well.

I add vodka (2 ml/day) and UltraMin amino acids daily. I feed with UltraClam and Coral Frenzy. I find the UltraClam really boosts PE.

Would appreciate feedback on the presence of the leathers.

Last edited by pterfloth; 01-23-2009 at 06:20 PM.
Old 01-23-2009, 06:53 PM
Banned

Whatigot is on a distinguished road

nice one...
another amino acid adder...
Hmmm..
Old 01-23-2009, 07:37 PM

GreenSpottedPuffer is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishytime View Post
The Zeo system essentially starves the system of nutrients causing the coral to extend their polyps fully in an attempt to feed. It may be that your system is nutrient rich and thus your sps doesnt need to extend to its full potential to receive nutrients. Just my opinion.
Well not quite true because you are putting all kinds of food back into the water for corals. Essentially you are stripping the water of good and bad and then putting the right amount of good back. The ZEO system is designed to give tanks as close to natural reef conditions as possible.

The higher the nutrients you have in your tank, the more unicellular algae such as zooxanthellae the corals are taking in and some species (most all sps) will then brown out and yes not extend polyps much anymore. If you were to actually strip the water of all nutrients, you would kill your corals (this happens when you go too fast with ZEO). Many ZEOvit users have some of the nicest colors and growth, so they certainly are not starving corals--the fact that so many ZEO users see a big increase in growth would indicate that its actually the opposite. This is why many ZEO users have to "up" their bioload and feed heavily.

Last edited by GreenSpottedPuffer; 01-23-2009 at 07:46 PM.
Old 01-23-2009, 07:47 PM
Banned

my coloration is excellent.
I am very satisfied with all aspects of my tank other than pe.

I'm not going to start zeo, not my style....

So you think that between my non zeo tank and your zeo tank that we can realistically compare results of our methods?

I'm not educated enough in zeo to know.
just want to make sure any advice I consider is of course applicable to me.
Old 01-23-2009, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatigot View Post
my coloration is excellent.
I am very satisfied with all aspects of my tank other than pe.

I'm not going to start zeo, not my style....

So you think that between my non zeo tank and your zeo tank that we can realistically compare results of our methods?

I'm not educated enough in zeo to know.
just want to make sure any advice I consider is of course applicable to me.
Fair enough...I am not pushing anyone at all to try ZEO Its for me because I like to have many large fish. I could not possibly keep my corals happy with the amount I feed if it were not for something like ZEO. I have just started using it but already see a difference.

What is your style? Do you mean you want to keep things more "traditional"...if that makes sense?
Old 01-23-2009, 07:58 PM
Banned

yeah man.
I have a pretty moderate fish population as you can see in my sig..
My style is simple, easy reefing.
I've seen some great zeo tanks (Tom R) but I have also seen some great non zeo "traditional"tanks so I am constantly forced to ask myself "why" when I get tempted to spend the money burning in my pocket.

I don't want to have to worry about more than I already do with regards to additives, levels and reactors, especially when I have seen no definitive proof there is any real advantage for a moderate reefer.

Can def see the advantage if you want to push your bioload though, but I am just such a nano fish fan and having as peacefull a reef as possible, I just don't see me having to go beyond a better skimmer.
Old 01-23-2009, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatigot View Post
yeah man.
I have a pretty moderate fish population as you can see in my sig..
My style is simple, easy reefing.
I've seen some great zeo tanks (Tom R) but I have also seen some great non zeo "traditional"tanks so I am constantly forced to ask myself "why" when I get tempted to spend the money burning in my pocket.

I don't want to have to worry about more than I already do with regards to additives, levels and reactors, especially when I have seen no definitive proof there is any real advantage for a moderate reefer.

Can def see the advantage if you want to push your bioload though, but I am just such a nano fish fan and having as peacefull a reef as possible, I just don't see me having to go beyond a better skimmer.
I would agree that its not for you then!

Its not even necessary if you do have a big fish load...Brad (untamed)'s tank is a great example of a tank not adding anything and looks incredible with lots of fish.

Its just the way I have chosen...so many options! Gotta do what works for your tank.
Old 01-23-2009, 08:09 PM

Eventually we are going to have to trade some frags and then compare how they do in both tanks
Old 01-23-2009, 08:27 PM

fkshiu is on a distinguished road

I have a very large tongan leather along with almost everything under the sun including a bunch of SPS. I run a calcium reactor, carbon (24/7) and GFO. For the SPS, my polyp extension is pretty good and my colours are not spectacular but "OK". I don't dose a single thing aside from adding CaCl and Mg to my water change water since I use IO salt.
Old 01-23-2009, 08:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenSpottedPuffer View Post
Eventually we are going to have to trade some frags and then compare how they do in both tanks
Thats a great idea.
I am just about to transfer my 72 bow into a 95 rounded corner.
This will be my last upgrade, only new systems will be brought online by me and this one will be allowed to mature in situ.

I am sure I have a couple I could frag as soon as I'm all set up and ready to go...
additionally, I have just ordered 25 frags from fragalot and have a couple doubles we could maybe compare as they grow if you're into that.

Brads tank was exactly what i was thinking of when I said I had seen some great ones without zeo...
I really love Toms system,obscenely well planned and executed but man, I did not want to leave brads "bar" as it's really like BEING in the ocean...

gotta agree that reefing is like any art, to each their own a path to success.