Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 01-18-2009, 06:59 AM

str255 is on a distinguished road

I went from a Remora Pro to an MCE600 (which has now been replaced by an in-sump RS80) ...

For me, the Deltec was a much, much, much better performer (the walls of the collection cup accumulated a lot of crud though ... so it has to be cleaned frequently; also it was much more sensitive to certain types of food in the tank so I found it necessary to shutdown while feeding) than the Remora Pro.

After having heard so many positive Deltec testimonials, I had expected "more" out of the Deltec ... but perhaps I was unrealistic ... it doesn't perform miracles, but it will certainly out-perform the Remora Pro.

Aside from better performance, the Deltec was generally quieter, smaller in-tank footprint, easier to maintain (other than cleaning the collection cup), and the Remora Pro also had a large O-ring for the collection cup that needed to be replaced every now and then (it kept cracking).
Old 01-18-2009, 07:03 AM

fkshiu is on a distinguished road

If you don't mind ordering from the states Octopus and Warner Marine have a number of HOBs out now that are getting good reviews and come in cheaper than the Deltec HOBs.

The problem with the Remora is that it's underpowered. Mine didn't really start performing until I got a Mag5 on the end of it. The problem then was that the Mag would always be on the cusp of boiling the tank. The remora is also noisy, but that can easily be remedied with a wet paper towel over the injector. You can prevent the remora's o-ring from cracking by adding a little silicone grease occasionally, but AquaC will send you free o-rings if you ask them.

Last edited by fkshiu; 01-18-2009 at 07:06 AM.
Old 01-18-2009, 08:18 AM

RuGlu6 is on a distinguished road

MCE600 as well.
works good.
Old 01-18-2009, 04:27 PM
Gold Member

mseepman is on a distinguished road

If you have a lot of room, I recently bought a Turboflotor Blue 1000 from the US and I'm reasonably impressed. It can be HOB, but I use it in sump. Pulls more than my Tunze9015 ever did and cost less than half.

Only problem I see is that it's a big HOB...versus some of the others.

290g Peninsula Display, 425g total volume. Setup Jan 2013.
Old 01-19-2009, 03:13 PM

supersmile is on a distinguished road

Well I tried putting in a new pump and that didn't really work. It still made alot of noise. I am kind of leary about spending a lot of money on another skimmer as I am being told that the size of my tank doesn'tneed a high end skimmer.......I've been told the Prism would suffice for my size of tank???
Old 01-19-2009, 10:27 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by supersmile View Post
I am kind of leary about spending a lot of money on another skimmer as I am being told that the size of my tank doesn't need a high end skimmer.......I've been told the Prism would suffice for my size of tank???
Whoever told you that gave you very poor advice. If you buy a Prism you may as well go throw your money in a trash can. The size of your tank has nothing to do with whether you should have a quality skimmer or not. Did you try a new Sicce pump?

SPS fanatic.

Old 01-19-2009, 11:18 PM
Gold Member

mseepman is on a distinguished road

I concur...I have a prizm on my nano tank and it's the biggest POS that I've ever encounterd. Coming from the Interior, you don't want to know what I paid for it either when I first setup my 70G.

Just off the cuff, I just bought a Bubble Magus BMQQ nano HOB skimmer. I cleaned it thoroughly and then threw it in as a secondary skimmer on my main tank to test it out. Pulls about 5x in a day as a secondary skimmer as my prizm pulls as a primary on my nano. It's really pretty well built and I'm impressed with it. Here's a link...it says it can do up to 55G...but remember that it's a small skimmer.

http://www.nuocean.com/skimmers/bubble-magus-bmqq.html

290g Peninsula Display, 425g total volume. Setup Jan 2013.

Last edited by mseepman; 01-19-2009 at 11:21 PM.