Old 11-21-2008, 05:11 AM

superduperwesman is on a distinguished road

Very cool! Thanks
Old 11-21-2008, 05:51 AM

spoot is on a distinguished road

Thanks for all the comments guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amante View Post
Great shots. What camera and lens were u using?
I'm using a nikon d80, and most of these shots were with the nikkor 50mm f1.8, but I think one or two may be with a sigma 28mm f2.8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delphinus View Post
Fabulous pictures!!

Did you have to use a tripod for some of these?
Nope, didn't bring a tripod. Some were taken with the camera braced against the glass/acrylic or braced against the frame of the viewing panel. This allowed me to use the longer than usual shutter times.
Old 11-21-2008, 06:17 AM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

Every shot made me say 'wow!'. Well done...I've never taken any good photos there and I have the same camera and lens lol.
Old 11-21-2008, 06:28 AM

vaporize is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to vaporize

Do they have any seahorses or sea dragons?
Red Sea, Black Saddleback, Brown Camel, Orange Fin, Melanistic Clarkii, Common Clarkii, True Percula, True Picassco, Pink Skunk, Orange Skunk, Maldives Clown, TRUE Sebae clown, Akin Clown, Gold Striped Maroon, White Striped Maroon, Latezonatus
Old 11-21-2008, 06:30 AM

superduperwesman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinl View Post
if it weren't for that stupid lady in the background of the octo pic...
ahah I never even noticed her until I read this... Peace... ahah loser!
Old 11-21-2008, 07:42 AM

justinl is on a distinguished road

vaporize, there are H. reidi sea horses, bred at the aquarium. There are also ribbon sea dragons (technically a pipefish); both captive bred and the originals from another public aquarium (I want to say Boston?)
Old 11-21-2008, 03:58 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoot View Post
Nope, didn't bring a tripod. Some were taken with the camera braced against the glass/acrylic or braced against the frame of the viewing panel. This allowed me to use the longer than usual shutter times.
Really? Wow, I'm impressed. I noticed the shutter speed on the octopus shot was 1/3s ... I would never be able to hold a camera still enough freehand, and it's perfect clarity in the picture, the octopus didn't even move in that time ... totally impressed.

Do you have a remote for shutter release then? Even the act of pressing the shutter release gives me a tiny bit of camera shake, anything slower than 1/30s is pretty much a gamble for me. ..

So, any tips you could share? (Pretty please?!)

... And I feel oblivious, I don't see the lady in the background of the octopus shot. I stared and stared .. must be missing something .. I'm going to go look again now ...
Old 11-21-2008, 04:04 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

Oh .. the blur is her hair maybe? I thought it was an out of focus part of the aquascape or something. Honestly, all I see is the octopus. Lady in background or no it's a good shot.
Old 11-21-2008, 07:28 PM

spoot is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delphinus View Post
Really? Wow, I'm impressed. I noticed the shutter speed on the octopus shot was 1/3s ... I would never be able to hold a camera still enough freehand, and it's perfect clarity in the picture, the octopus didn't even move in that time ... totally impressed.

Do you have a remote for shutter release then? Even the act of pressing the shutter release gives me a tiny bit of camera shake, anything slower than 1/30s is pretty much a gamble for me. ..

So, any tips you could share? (Pretty please?!)

... And I feel oblivious, I don't see the lady in the background of the octopus shot. I stared and stared .. must be missing something .. I'm going to go look again now ...
The lady in the background is making a victory sign. I was going to clone it out in PS but got lazy :P The octo shot wasn't actually freehand per say. I rested the on the concrete frame of the viewing window and held it firmly in place. You can also hold the lens against the viewing panel firmly to achieve this kind of stability. Something you might want to try next time you need to shoot really slow is the 2 second timer on the shutter. This will fire the shutter 2 second after you press it so that the button pressing will not move the camera during exposure.