Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 10-29-2008, 03:48 AM

Rippin is on a distinguished road

Ok, so unless ATI is more readily available in the near future it doesn't really seem to be an option.

I'll look further into Aquactinics. But how about this one by Current USA:
http://oceanaquatics.com/store/produ...48%22---8x54W/

Pros
8 bulbs, 2 fans, 2 switches, moonlights

Cons
Looks ugly
Don't know if each bulb has its own reflector
Old 10-29-2008, 04:25 AM

Canadian is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fkshiu View Post
If you don't want to wait for an ATI you could always get an Aquactinics fixture which are comparable.
Comparable in terms of performance. The Aquactinics fixtures are nearly the ugliest things on the planet though (with the exception of the Constellation series). I can't understand why Aquactinics doesn't make all their T5 fixtures in the same mold as the constellation just different lengths. I've emailed them and asked this but have yet to receive an answer.
SPS Dedicated 24x24x20 Trimless Tank | 20 g Sump | Bubbble King Mini 160 Protein Skimmer w/ Avast Swabbie | NP Biopellets in TLF Phosban Reactor | ATI Sunpower 6 x 24W T5HO Fixture | EcoTech Vortech MP20 | Modified Tunze Nanostream 6025 | Eheim 1260 Return Pump | GHL Profilux Standalone Doser dosing B-Ionic | Steel Frame Epoxy Coated Stand with Maple Panels embedded with Neodymium Magnets

"Mens sana in corpore sano"
Old 10-29-2008, 04:31 AM

Rippin is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian View Post
The Aquactinics fixtures are nearly the ugliest things on the planet though
Err...have you looked at the Current USA fixtures I posted above. Now THAT'S ugly
Old 10-29-2008, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rippin View Post
Err...have you looked at the Current USA fixtures I posted above. Now THAT'S ugly
Still not as ugly as this bucket-o-slop though:

SPS Dedicated 24x24x20 Trimless Tank | 20 g Sump | Bubbble King Mini 160 Protein Skimmer w/ Avast Swabbie | NP Biopellets in TLF Phosban Reactor | ATI Sunpower 6 x 24W T5HO Fixture | EcoTech Vortech MP20 | Modified Tunze Nanostream 6025 | Eheim 1260 Return Pump | GHL Profilux Standalone Doser dosing B-Ionic | Steel Frame Epoxy Coated Stand with Maple Panels embedded with Neodymium Magnets

Old 10-29-2008, 04:40 AM

fkshiu is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian View Post
Comparable in terms of performance. The Aquactinics fixtures are nearly the ugliest things on the planet though (with the exception of the Constellation series). I can't understand why Aquactinics doesn't make all their T5 fixtures in the same mold as the constellation just different lengths. I've emailed them and asked this but have yet to receive an answer.
Obviously beauty is in the eye of the beholder. In any event, I highly doubt anybody but a hardcore reef geek would make any comment on the appearance of the fixture - it'll be what's in the tank that counts.

For the record, I agree most Aquactinics fixtures aren't the prettiest things in the world, but they aren't any uglier than Hamilton or PFO fixtures which are straight out of Mad Max. Does any one know if Giesemann or Sfiligoi make T5-only fixtures? Now those would be stylin'.
Old 10-29-2008, 04:54 AM

Sfiligoi and Giesemann both make T5 only fixtures. Unfortunately they're all form and no function. I was ready to pull the trigger on a 6 lamp Sfiligoi Mini Stealth in white but they are really no better than a Tek light - they don't have any active cooling what so ever in fixtures with fewer than 8 lamps. The Sfiligoi distributor suggested that active cooling isn't necessary on fixtures with fewer than 8 lamps. Obviously the benefits of active cooling in any T5 fixture are well documented however. So what it came down to was choosing not to pay in excess of twice the price of a comparable Tek light for the aesthetics of a Sfiligoi.

Here's a link to the Sfiligoi Mini Stealth: http://www.sfiligoi.it/files/download/STEALTH%20ING.pdf

Last edited by Canadian; 10-29-2008 at 04:58 AM.
Old 10-29-2008, 06:04 AM

JDigital is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to JDigital

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rippin View Post
Cool, that will help. Thanks.
fishyitmes Tank with 2x 36" Tek T5 6 Bulb fixtures... He was short 4 bulbs tonight too...

62G Starfire Reef. Started Jan 2013 http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=89988
Old 10-29-2008, 02:40 PM

Reefer Rob is on a distinguished road

Reef Geek isn't stocking the Powermodule?
Old 10-29-2008, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefer Rob View Post
Reef Geek isn't stocking the Powermodule?
Not really. They have very little if anything actually in stock. They simply take your order and then make an order with ATI - i.e. really they're kind of drop shipping everything they don't have in stock. Hence the reason it takes months and months to get.

Old 11-04-2008, 05:16 AM

Melonbob is on a distinguished road

what about the larger versions of the sfiligoi? I am considering the 8X80W unit as it would be cheaper than replacing 14 29w bulbs in the constellation, and you are getting a higher wattage? This unit has active cooling right? What are the quaity of the reflectors like in comparasion to the Aquactinics? What about the ballasts? Can anyone tell me? they are very close in price to each other.