Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 10-23-2008, 03:16 AM

reeferious is on a distinguished road

had been considering getting calcium reactor package until i came into possession of some bulk ca and alk supplies. now i spend 30 seconds every other nite double dosing recommended amt into my sump. 2 months went by and all my critters are doing fantastically well. haha why babysit them when we all know those creatures are a lot tougher than you and i. relax, sit back and stop all those worryings.
Old 10-23-2008, 05:09 AM

Tailored Aquatics is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeP View Post
I used a liquid additive called DKH plus for a while (can't remember the brand name, I bought it at Elite though). On a small tank like yours a bottle would last quite a while and as I recall it wasn't too expensive.
That would Be Tailored Aquatics dKH Plus and yes a bottle does last a small tank quite a while. http://www.tailoredaquatics.com/index.html?a=0&d=43
Old 10-23-2008, 05:30 AM

fkshiu is on a distinguished road

It's no secret that it's all pretty much the same stuff: calcium chloride and sodium carbonate (a.k.a. washing soda). Buy the CaCl in bulk and make your own washing soda from plain old baking soda.

While your at it, pick up some magnesium chloride and/or magnesium sulfate (a.k.a. Epsom salts) as well and you're well on your way.

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-02/rhf/index.php

All you're paying for with the LFS stuff is the fancy labelling.
Old 10-23-2008, 05:58 AM

marie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquattro View Post
Agreed. I fill my reactor twice a year, and top off the CO2 maybe that much. The dosing might be a great way, but I think more work, and fairly costly to start up. Again, a reactor ain't cheap either, unless you make your own.

With this topic though, one really should know what the Ca/Alk consumption is, then decide how best to deal with it.
Brad did you use the same with the big tank you used to have? and how much media does your reactor hold?
I'm refilling my reactor every 5 weeks or so with about 6lbs of media and I'm finding it a big pain in the butt

300g tank
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=86252
Old 10-23-2008, 01:23 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Marie, my comments were based on my old tank, my new one isn't growed up enough yet

My reactor holds about 18 pounds of media, so I don't need to change it that often. I find the first annual change is just to remove the finer sludge, it tends to slow the flow after 4 or 5 months.
Still, I never used a pound/week, even at it's peak of growth.
Old 10-23-2008, 02:45 PM

marie is on a distinguished road

I'm pretty sure most of my calcium goes to coraline algae. I have lots and lots of coraline algae

300g tank
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=86252
Old 10-23-2008, 03:19 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by marie View Post
I'm pretty sure most of my calcium goes to coraline algae. I have lots and lots of coraline algae
Perhaps. I got to a point where I had none on the glass, not sure why. Corals grew like crazy though....