Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 10-16-2008, 05:32 PM

kaboom is on a distinguished road

Not sure what teleposts are. Adding more 2x6 studs to the that exterior wall shouldn't be a problem. Do you think strengthening that wall alone will increase the overall load capacity, or would I have to upgrade surrounding walls as well. The opposing wall is 24 ft away, don't think it would help much? Thoughts?
Old 10-16-2008, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxic111 View Post
FYI, 90% of residential floors are designed to handle 40lbs/ft2 live load, and about 15lbs/ft2 dead load.

It is fairly easy to work out what your weight of a tank/water/equipment etc uses, divide that by the area of the tank, and that will tell you if you are good.
My total weight is to be 2500lb and the total footprint is 2'x6'
So 2500 divide 12 = 208, that 208lb/ft2 the tank is imposing on the floor. Way too heavy according to your numbers, unless I am not getting right?
Old 10-16-2008, 05:54 PM

toxic111 is on a distinguished road

At over 200lbs/ft2 you will be over weight. With out seeing things up close I can't say what the best way to deal with it.

Your best bet is to have a structural engineer come over and look over things, and give his suggestions. Your wall studs @ 16"o.c. will carry the load, it is the joists & the beams may be the issue.
Old 10-16-2008, 05:57 PM

GreenSpottedPuffer is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
FYI, 90% of residential floors are designed to handle 40lbs/ft2 live load, and about 15lbs/ft2 dead load.

It is fairly easy to work out what your weight of a tank/water/equipment etc uses, divide that by the area of the tank, and that will tell you if you are good.
Where are you getting this from? Just curious because I had an engineer come by our last place and the numbers were WAY different. And he was being conservative.
Old 10-16-2008, 06:04 PM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

I'm certainly not an engineer (rather an engineering DROPOUT) but I'd never proceed without jackposts at least under the tank. I'd have them on either side of the tank really.

My livingroom 225 gallon has (5) 2x14 laminated beams under it's rear with a pair of jackposts supporting its front which rest on an 8x3 footing poured beneath the basement floor.

When full i can jump (220lbs I am) next to the tank and I see the FAINTEST ripple. My old 65 gallon used to move quite a bit in my last house on the main floor with just a single set of jackposts beneath it.

Just my 0.02 though. I did this planning before the house was built.
Old 10-16-2008, 06:05 PM

Default Worried: big tank over garage....need ideas

toxic, is that a typo? Because those numbers don't make any sense. 15lb/sqft max. sounds like a straw house limits.

Greenspotpuffer, what numbers did you get from your source, if you don't mind sharing.

Last edited by kaboom; 10-16-2008 at 06:16 PM.
Old 10-16-2008, 06:13 PM

toxic111 is on a distinguished road

The numbers I am giving you are based on my experience as a Residential & Commercial designer. The 15lbs/ft2 is dead load, which is based on the material itself.

The 40lbs/ft2 is the live load, which is people, furniture, fish tanks, etc.

Consider live load to be anything that can be moved, and the dead load the structure it self.

If you need more info I will pull out my building code to verify.
Old 10-16-2008, 06:23 PM

AJ_77 is on a distinguished road

this article might help:

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/article...ium_weight.php
Old 10-16-2008, 06:33 PM

GreenSpottedPuffer is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
The numbers I am giving you are based on my experience as a Residential & Commercial designer. The 15lbs/ft2 is dead load, which is based on the material itself.

The 40lbs/ft2 is the live load, which is people, furniture, fish tanks, etc.

Consider live load to be anything that can be moved, and the dead load the structure it self.

If you need more info I will pull out my building code to verify.
Ok makes sense then

My fiance just reminded me that the place I am talking about was an industrial building that had been turned into condos, so way different from a house. He gave us the numbers as roughly 150lbs/ft2. Sorry I should have realized a house is going to be different.

I am having an engineer come to my current condo to take a look but it sounds like a waste of time from what people are telling me because my new place is a ridiculously overbuilt concrete building. Not just the floors but walls are all concrete too.
Old 10-16-2008, 06:48 PM

BC564 is on a distinguished road

Does the post below this room have a weight marking on it......it should be on there.