Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 10-01-2008, 05:31 PM

Alberta-newb is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by michika View Post
Have any photos to share of this set up?
Catherine,

Can do

Here's an overall view, please forgive the electrical mess, gotta pick up some chord organizers! This is the closet space beside my display (in wall). Water from the display's return line enters the top of the "bubble or drip counter" and flows into the QT. The QT is drilled in the bottom corner and I plumbed a standpipe and drain to a lab sink I plumbed in beside the display. I also have a line off my display return (green valve) that lets me do easy water changes (no buckets anymore!). I also labbelled the unpainted "window" into my calfo overflow so I can check if any fish have "gone over the wall". Also shown is my SW storage (RV water tank)

You can see my two new arrivals in the shot as well. A Magnificent Foxface (siganus magnifica) and a Scribbled Rabbitfish (siganus doliatus) that came in from OA Monday night. They will be in QT for an expected 4 weeks if all goes well.

Here's a view of the QT overflow. I bought a jet tub nozzle fitting, chucked out the nozzle and stretched a piece of fishnet over the top to prevent accidental trips down the drain. I also added a SeaChem ammonia badge for extra piece of mind.

And here's the homemade bubble or drip counter I made. A valve from Home Depot, two rubber ends that I had in my junk drawer (they are used to protect pipe fittings) and a piece of uder gravel filter standpipe. The valve does take a bit of fiddling to get the right flowrate as it's not very accurate, next time I would use a needle valve. It's clipped to the wall as I remove it to drip acclimate corals as well.

Old 10-01-2008, 05:42 PM

Alberta-newb is on a distinguished road

A shot of my new "test subjects":

So far they are doing well and both have good appetites. The doliatus is extremely shy and has not colored up yet (might take several weeks). For different species they sure are chummy and spend most of their time side by side in contact with each other. Do fish make friends like people?
Old 10-01-2008, 05:57 PM

michika is on a distinguished road

Thank you very much for the photos. I'm a visual person, so sometimes technical descriptions are beyond me.

Love your new additions. I tried for a magnificent foxface, but J&L couldn't ship it out at a time that worked for me. They are super hard to find!