Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Regional Forums > Alberta > Calgary

Old 04-14-2003, 10:57 PM

Quinn is on a distinguished road

that is a good plan. watch that the tang doesn't get overly stressed spending four weeks in a 10 gal or your quarantining may be for naught.

Man, n. ...His chief occupation is extermination of other animals and his own species, which, however, multiplies with such insistent rapidity as to infest the whole habitable earth, and Canada. - A. Bierce, Devil's Dictionary, 1906
Old 04-15-2003, 01:29 AM

Bob I is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasta
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcipema
If that is your real name
Dont worry Lofus .... " recipe " IS his real name

Cheers
You are too funny for words. My initials are R.C, and my last name is Ipema. Do we have a problem with that

---------Homer Simpson--------
Old 04-15-2003, 01:46 AM

Bob I is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lofus
This is a copy of what I had posted to Reefs.org:

I've set up a 10 gal quarentine tank for adding fish and it is nearing the end of its cycle.

This is going to be a FOWLR and I was thinking of adding the following fish. I would really appreciate any comments. This is the first aquarium I've ever set up so I need all the help I can get.

the fish are:

1 - Ocellaris Clownfish
1 - Purple Tang or 1 - Regal Tang
5 - Green Chromis or 5 - Lyretail Anthias (or a mix)
1 - Lawnmower Blenny
1 - Ribbon Eel
I personally am not fond of a quarantine tank, and in your case I can only see problems, especially with tangs and Anthias. The tank is far too small for them. An alternate idea might be to add fish directly to the main tank after the cycle is complete (with 100lbs of LR there will not be much of a cycle.)
I would however go slowly, as a just cycled tank won't support many fish. I would start out with the Chromis, and the Clown. Then well down the road when you have learned more I would reconsider the Anthias, and the Tang. I would probably substitute a Bicolor Blenny for the Lawnmower, as they seem tricky. Lastly forget the Eel

Those are my ideas anyway.

---------Homer Simpson--------
Old 04-15-2003, 02:04 AM

EmilyB is on a distinguished road

Lofus, if you are adding a tang, most suggest to add it last.

However, I don't really see anything on your stocking list, that IMO most tangs would bother. Plus, then you may be in big trouble.....QT or not...

You will have to watch your QT water parameters really closely in such a small QT tank, because tangs need to eat a LOT to build up their natural immunities.

I always found a chromis made good company for a fish held in QT, they seem to be less stressed with a companion.

That all said, it's probably not really exactly what I would do in every case..... but I have been very lucky.....be sure you get a plump tang that is eating like a hog.
Old 04-15-2003, 02:54 AM

Dresden is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Dresden

WIth a tank that size a Yellow or even Kole tang might be better fitted and better temper.
Old 04-15-2003, 04:38 AM

Buccaneer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasta
Quote:
If that is your real name
Dont worry Lofus .... " recipe " IS his real name

Cheers
You are too funny for words. My initials are R.C, and my last name is Ipema. Do we have a problem with that
I know ... I am hilarious

Just seeing if you like " if that is your real name " statement thrown back at ya ... the recipe part was just for $h!t$ and giggles

You dont think my real name is Rasta do you ? ... actually I am from the Caribbean originally so that is where it is from

Cheers

“The most important decision you make is to be in a good mood.”
― Voltaire
Old 04-15-2003, 03:06 PM

TANGOMAN is on a distinguished road

Welcome to the world of endless expense. Equally endless enjoyment, provided things are goin' good. I have little experience with your prospective fish. I have read that Regal Tangs are "planktivores"? Others with experience may be helpful with feeding/nutritional requirements. Those nutritional requirements are critical for life in captivity.
I am a big supporter of quarantine practices. Many aren't. They both have benefits and drawbacks. A 10g is small IMO for a quarantine tank. Rapid fluctuations with so little water. Fluctuations are the last thing a stressed fish needs. 33g's are available from Gold's Aquarium for I think $30.00.
This site is a valuable asset. There are a lot of knowledgable folks glad to help. As mentioned, patience is a must. So to is the ability to overcome the fear that accompanies asking what one might perceive as "a stupid question". Don't worry, I've already asked all the stupid questions.

ps when ya' find the good stores in town, let us know. You'll be king !
Old 04-16-2003, 04:47 AM

kari is on a distinguished road
Default Re: My First Tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lofus
The little giant pump is really loud so I'm looking for ideas on how to quiet it.
[/img]
Where and how is the pump mounted? Sometimes a little experimenting can make even a "Little Giant" relatively quiet. You can try things like;
isolated pump location on say a concrete floor or rubber dampers between pump plate and mounting surface. They always seem a little quieter when the pump is bolted down rather then held in place by plumbing and gravity only.

kari
Old 04-16-2003, 03:33 PM

Lofus is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Lofus

Due to space limitations the pump is mounted on the side of the tank stand. I am planning on some rubber washers between the pump and wood. I also think a couple of cross braces will help.

I would like to close the back of the stand in but the heat the pump gives off will cook the tank. I keep the house at 21 C and with no heater the pump maintains 27 C water temp.
Old 04-16-2003, 04:04 PM

TANGOMAN is on a distinguished road

Uh-oh...did you say no heater ? . I'm confused. "The heat the pump gives off will cool the tank..."
I would advise against enclosing the stand for "acoustical" reasons. Evaporation and humidity in there will make it a sweaty mess. My 60g corner stand is enclosed with the exception of two, 4" holes. It was a mess until I installed an exhaust fan in one of the holes. I then put flexible dryer vent hose in the other hole which pulls warm air from the canopy. I still splurged on a heater...