Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 08-26-2008, 02:03 AM

RonPeter is on a distinguished road

You need a TDS meter to check that...they are cheap, about $25.00 or a bit more if I remember right. A good RO/DI unit is AquaFX or Spectra Pure or there's one on eBay that a lot of people use with good results called AquaSafe I think.
65 gallon tank, 3 gallon refugium, 90lbs LR, 50 lbs live sand, Coralife Super Skimmer 125, 24" 250 watt DE Pendant w/14K Hamilton. 1 ocellaris clowns,1 Tomini Tang, 6 line wrasse, 12 turbo grazer snails, 12 nassarius snails, 12 Cerith. Open Brain, Metallic Green Brain, candy cane coral, 1 enchino frags, and 2 maxima clam.
Old 08-26-2008, 03:06 AM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Here, I just made an HA guide: http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=44473

SPS fanatic.

Old 08-26-2008, 04:02 PM

kwirky is on a distinguished road

handling your detritus is a big boon to combating hair algae as well. Old tanks usually have built up detritus in the rocks and sandbed and it takes a long time to remove that.

Just blowing your rocks off daily is a big help against HA. Hair algae tends to grow where the detritus settles on the rocks. You'll notice when you do blow at the hair algae TONS of crap is released, because the hair algae catches detritus, snowballing the problem.

And once you've blown it off, you gotta get the detritus out. Siphoning the bottom if it's bare bottom is great. If you have sand, you could completely remove the top 1/4" layer of the sand and replace with new sand.

A 2 year old sand bed is usually ridden with phosphates and nitrates and they're quite difficult to deal with. Nobody wants to remove their sandbed, and removing it can release all sorts of nasty chemicals stored in the deepest areas of the bed.
Old 08-26-2008, 04:08 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

I forgot all mention of detritus in my Algae Guide...I'll have to go add that in. Thanks for (unintentionally) reminding me.

SPS fanatic.

Old 08-26-2008, 04:21 PM

banditpowdercoat is on a distinguished road

Kwirky, would it be better to siphon little sand off with each water change, and then add more sand, say once a year? Instead of a major sand change?

Myka, loving the HA guide. Sending the wife to town today to look for a larger SW storage tank for water changes. I have been neglecting my WC this summer

Umm, a tank or 5
Old 08-26-2008, 04:37 PM

Jaws is on a distinguished road

Are you running sps or lps and softies. Relative to blowing detritus off your rock, I was able to get rid of my hair algae by adding more flow to the tank to stop detritus from settling on the rock. I had an sps tank though so I was able to get away with it. Good luck.