Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Nano Tank Talk

Old 08-12-2008, 06:56 PM

lorenz0 is on a distinguished road

I am just talking from experience with nano's

if you want to run a K3 its all up to you. even running a K1 in my nano i found some area's to still have to much flow. If you believe thats the route you want to take its all up to you but imo my mushrooms actually trive more in the less flow area's.
Old 08-13-2008, 05:56 AM

Carrera75 is on a distinguished road

Try different things and decide what works for you. I only have 1 Koralia #2 in my 50 gallon reef tank (LPS and Softies) and all my corals are super happy. In fact I had 2 Koralia #3 when I first set up my tank and it was too much flow. Then I went with only 1 Koralia #3 but my corals were still not happy so I switched that for a #2 and everything seems to be doing well.

My tank has been set up like that for almost 2 years now. I am not saying that this is what you should do. All I am saying is that different things work for different people. Experiment a bit and see what works for YOU. In this hobby you are often going to get different opinions from different people. That's why you have to do what work for YOU regardless of what some people say.

Cheers
Old 08-13-2008, 08:05 PM

REDNECK_REEFER is on a distinguished road

Hey, nice to hear of more women getting into the hobby!!. I wouldn't worry too much about the koralia 3 the water that comes out of them is soft feeling not like a maxi jet when it blasts water through a small opening. If you angle your pump either towards the surface or against one of the panes of glass you should be fine.
Old 08-14-2008, 11:31 PM

JDigital is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to JDigital

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorenz0 View Post
I am just talking from experience with nano's

if you want to run a K3 its all up to you. even running a K1 in my nano i found some area's to still have to much flow. If you believe thats the route you want to take its all up to you but imo my mushrooms actually trive more in the less flow area's.
Your tank is 8Gs smaller and 12" shorter... lol.. 36" is along ways for a K3 to push water..

62G Starfire Reef. Started Jan 2013 http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=89988
Old 08-16-2008, 10:37 PM

skabooya is on a distinguished road

If i get an HOB fuge then i will only need a K2 right? since the HOB and the skimmer will be creating some flow. Right?
Old 08-17-2008, 03:01 AM

JDigital is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to JDigital

Quote:
Originally Posted by skabooya View Post
If i get an HOB fuge then i will only need a K2 right? since the HOB and the skimmer will be creating some flow. Right?
Correct... It will depend on the HOB filter tho, to make up the flow difference between a K2 and K3 (approx. 250gph difference)

62G Starfire Reef. Started Jan 2013 http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=89988
Old 08-17-2008, 04:23 AM

Myka will become famous soon enough

My 33g has a K2 and a MJ1200, and I wouldn't want any more flow for LPS.

SPS fanatic.

Old 08-17-2008, 05:49 AM

fkshiu is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by skabooya View Post
Actually, it doesn't exactly work like that IME. The useable flow out of an HOB-anything is next to useless because it is merely dropping straight down into the tank rather than flowing around throughout the tank.

Think of filling your bathtub: at the tap end there's a lot of flow going straight down, but not much of that force is getting to the far end of the tub. Now, take the same flow and point it sideways underwater like a hose and you'll get plenty of flow at the other end.

In any event, fuges require LOW flow to be of any use in any event. The water coming out of it and your HOB skimmer will be rather gentle (certainly nowhere near as much force as an open tap) and won't have much of an effect on anything that isn't directly underneath of it.

I thought the same way with my old 46 bowfront. I added up the flow from all the powerheads and HOB skimmer and refugium. On paper it looked great, but in actual practice there was no where near enough flow and I had to put in bigger powerheads.

Last edited by fkshiu; 08-17-2008 at 05:52 AM.
Old 08-17-2008, 07:08 AM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Ya, you can't really count anything other than powerheads for your flow unless the tank is like 10g.

SPS fanatic.

Old 08-17-2008, 06:25 PM

skabooya is on a distinguished road

So then if i stick with a K3 will that be too much flow for a CPR Aqua fuge to work properly? Or should i go with a K2 for this?
Im looking at the CPR medium 3.6gallons. Is it worth it or should i just nix the idea and continue with simple and just do the K3 with the skimmer like i had planned???