Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 06-14-2008, 04:55 PM

Boomboy is on a distinguished road

yeah but doesnt it mean if you cant get it drilled you cant get it cut also? isnt that was tempted means? anyone want to chime in who knows.
Old 06-14-2008, 08:52 PM

i think im going to go with this skimmer. OCT-DNW-110 Octopus Recirculating Skimmer. Unless someone says anything other wise, its a good RECIRCULATING skimmer, which i will just plumb from my overflow, its rated easily for my tank, and its much cheaper than a euro-reef skimmer. about a hundred bucks less. my mind might be changed about making my overflow, because its alot of work, and if it didnt work that well, it would suck.
Old 07-05-2008, 03:45 AM

well due to getting married in october, the tank build has been put on hold, and when i mean hold i mean i cant spend anymore money on it. Thanks to billy i was able to get some free sugar sand which was WAY more than i needed. i just decided to go without a sump for now, and things are just all over the place, always looking for some free fish that people just want to get rid of, i wouldnt mind taking them, im in edmonton.working on a HOB custom carbon/ fuge right now seeing how that works out. i will post pictures of it later.
Old 07-20-2008, 02:16 AM

well been a while since i updated, my tank is up and running, but its sumpless. thanks to rayfong (fish) and sonymdcdvcd (sand) i was able to get it going and looking good.Im going to build a HOB fuge to hold the heater and to get rid of the other HOB filters because i cant stand them. Here are some pics of it to satisfy those who are picture hungry.

I dont get end to end coverage with the light but i cant spend another 400 to get the other one in, one day i will.

Wondering if it food or not, they always come to the surface when i put my finger in, none of them are afraid.

Last edited by Boomboy; 07-20-2008 at 02:23 AM.
Old 07-20-2008, 04:12 PM

hecks220 is on a distinguished road

if i can give you any advice, don't skimp on the skimmer. my biggest past mistakes were trying to save a few bucks on it. get a good one and then put it in your pre-nup

65g/20g reef system, Euro RS-80, 2x tunze 6055, mod 6025, mag7, 250 HQI w/192 actinics, 100 lbs. LR
46g FOWLR
Old 08-03-2008, 01:35 AM

well, not to much to update, have a bit of a cyano issue, due to not enough sand being stirred up,and didnt do a water change in a while, but i did 1/3 of the tank, over the course of a week and a half. and sucked some of it off the sand. i got some snails for that, and also built a 5g refuge so one day i can get a mandarin,and a place to put my cheato, and my heater and temp probe. i also need some more live rock, but will be getting that soon. Added a feather duster, cleaner shrimp, blue tuxedo urchin, and sallylight foot crab( it only has one claw, which i saw once i got it into the tank) hopefully it will grow back but probably wont. things are slow, because im getting married, but she wants my tank to look great and is willing to let me spend some money to make it nice. and that way i wont want to just upgrade to a bigger tank. also noticed my first bubble algea, ever! gonna have to figure out how to get it out before it spreads without making it worse. any ideaS?and some boring pics too of my ghetto refuge, but hey it works.

i just built a quick 2x4 stand for it, and built a shelf on the back, and screwed the shelf into the 2x4 frame.

and here i just used a left over container and cut it out and siliconed it into place, it isnt totally sealed but its only there to stop cheato from coming out.

and a FTS of current aquascape. its a little more blue in real life, but im not using a good camera.

trying to get rid of the three corals on the bottom left, any takers, just really kinda dont want them at all in my tank, as im getting away from mushrooms.
Old 08-03-2008, 04:28 PM

JDigital is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to JDigital

Wow... nice to see you got this up ang going Boom! Really cool aquascaping..

What do you have it stocked with? The 2 Clowns and 3 Chromis?

62G Starfire Reef. Started Jan 2013 http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=89988
Old 08-03-2008, 04:35 PM

Der_Iron_Chef is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Der_Iron_Chef

Looks good! Keep it up....and maybe I didn't catch this, but did you decide on/purchase a skimmer?

10G Nano * 10G Sump * Deltec MCE 600 Skimmer * JBL Viper 150w MH * Zeovit * Vortech MP40W

Millions long for immortality who do not know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon. ~S. Ertz

Old 08-03-2008, 07:58 PM

thanks JDigital, i wanted a bunch of tunnels in the aquascape but flat tops to put corals, going to put a big plat area on the left with 3 pillars underneath for the fish to swim and hide. i have male and female clowns, 3 green/blue chromis and one tiny little black and white 3 striped damselfish, that is it, going to get rid of all of them except maybe the clown pair, because i got a good deal on them 3 chromis and 2 pair of clowns 20 bucks couldn't turn that up when i only have the one fish in it, and der iron chef, no i haven't bought one yet, i haven't gotten a sump going because of the extra cost of the sump overflow box and skimmer, and getting married comes first, im using my crappy red sea HOB skimmer at the moment looking for good deals and more rock. i want to get a mandarin eventually but i think i will wait till i move the tank again once i get married, moved 3 times with the tank im getting good at it. thats all for now.
Old 08-04-2008, 05:13 PM

Theres been a death in the family.

Heres how i think it went down, either one of 2 ways, first one was that the urchin caught the cleaner ratting him out about stabbing some coral with his spines, so he took him out.

second way, the classic falling piano, the cleaner shrimp was cleaning the sand minding his own business eating algea, while the urchin got himself upside down and couldnt hold on anymore, and fell, luckily for the urchin the shrimp was their to break his fall, poor cleaner, but to not get caught he is trying to finish him off and get rid of the evidence, but i caught him just the same because he takes to long to eat stuff.

or third it was a molt, but i had a feeling this guy would die for some reason, but if in a couple days i spot him cool, if not oh well, have to get me another one day, not anytime soon though.