Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 05-20-2008, 03:08 PM

Der_Iron_Chef is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Der_Iron_Chef

Interesting...thanks for the info! Any suggestions on an entry-level bike that would also be fairly economical?

10G Nano * 10G Sump * Deltec MCE 600 Skimmer * JBL Viper 150w MH * Zeovit * Vortech MP40W

Millions long for immortality who do not know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon. ~S. Ertz

Old 05-20-2008, 05:03 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

I was just looking at some myself, although realistically - I likely won't take the plunge and start riding motorized bikes anytime soon - but the cost of gas sure has me looking for alternative means to getting to work.

Honda has an entry level street bike for $3500. I was expecting some crappy looking thing like their entry level bikes looked like back in the 70's and 80's but I was pleasantly surprised:
http://honda.ca/MCPE/Motorcycle/Mode...Model=CBR125R8

125cc engine, so likely some wicked mileage at the cost of zippiness.

For a little bit more ($4300ish), Kawasaki has a nice looking model with twice the engine (250cc):
http://www.kawasaki.ca/model/ninja-250r/1096:en

Last edited by Delphinus; 05-20-2008 at 05:07 PM.
Old 05-20-2008, 05:46 PM

jasond is on a distinguished road

Looks like everyone has the spring itch! I have been looking around at the Yamaha Vmax’s, I suspect I will be getting one in the next month or two. They seem to have decent power, yet not a crotch rocket that you can’t ride for longer than an hour at a time.

For those looking for an entry level bike, there are lots of cheap/starter bikes out there. A friend of mine just picked up a 79’ Honda 500 in great shape for $500. Nothing fancy, but a great bike to putter around town and save some gas dollars!

As for scooters, definitely neat, but not enough juice for me. I like to be able to pass when I need to pass. As far as getting to work economically though I suppose you couldn’t do it for much cheaper!

Good luck with your purchase!
Old 05-20-2008, 07:38 PM

ElGuappo is on a distinguished road

I agree although i may not always wear mine. Your Gear is the most important thing. a good pair of gloves, helmit, jacket pants, and boot are all a must. i ride most of the year as well last year is the first in 5 that i didnot get out on newyears and christmas days.

I ride a rvt s1000 (rc51) i get about 200 K to a tank (4Gal) of gas and i use superpremium 94 octane. i also ride quite hard. lots of RPM's.

this is a bit more than a scooter though. I have got this sucker upto 323 KPH. Now before you reply to my ignorance on this one i was in full leathers boots and gauntlets. also on a piece of highway i know quite well. i am quite a jolly feller so i had to get ride of my 600 cc as i could not keep up with other riders.

now if you are looking to do little more than go to work and back and weigh more than 180. i would recomend nothing smaller than 450 cc. im not saying that you cant get around on something smaller but it is nice to have a little get up and go when some A$$hole in a SUV drinking coffee and talking on a cell phone wants to make a lane change without looking or signaling. Just my 2 Pennies.

Remember aswell when you ride anything with 2 wheels its not a question of "Will you fall?" but "When will you Fall?" More people die of infection than from the impact in bike wrecks. It just so happens you only hear of the ones where the driver is dead on the scene.
72 Gallon Bowfront Reef.. Hardware:2x250w Luminex Elite HQI Reflectors (Phoenix Hexarc Bulbs), Galaxy 2x250w Electronic ballast, Euroreef 130 Skimmer, Sedra KSP 7000 Retern... Live Stock: Pair of Hawaiian Flame Wrasse, Leopard Wrasse, Pink Streaked Wrasse, Pair True Percula Clowns, Potters Angel, African Flameback Angel, Orange Fin Tomini Tang, Yellow Assessor, Tailspot Blenny, Purple Firefish..

45 G FW Asain Barb Community tank.

Last edited by ElGuappo; 05-20-2008 at 07:47 PM.
Old 05-21-2008, 05:34 AM

Telford is on a distinguished road

I can understand why someone that rides a motorbike would poopoo a scooter. I used to ride a motorbike, but was always so paranoid about being flattened i got rid of it. The speed of a motorbike is definetly a rush but honestly i feel much safer on a scooter. For the most part because i'm rarely doing more that 60-70 km/h because i mainly just ride it around town.

For simply getting around town there is nothing better. You can buy one today and ride it today. Don't need to waste time and money getting a motorbike license. You can ride down the shoulders past all the stopped traffic. Can park it on the sidewalk. As far as price is concerned, you can buy a brand new one for $2500. That's pretty cheap in my opinion. They take up no room to park at home if you have a garage. In my case i live in a condo and only have one parking stall so i can still fit the scooter and my FJ cruiser in the same spot.

Just thought i'd stick up for the scooter nerds...
Old 05-21-2008, 05:50 AM

ElGuappo is on a distinguished road

Im not PooPooing them i used to drive a moped back in the day. just think a heavier person should consider something with a little more power.
72 Gallon Bowfront Reef.. Hardware:2x250w Luminex Elite HQI Reflectors (Phoenix Hexarc Bulbs), Galaxy 2x250w Electronic ballast, Euroreef 130 Skimmer, Sedra KSP 7000 Retern... Live Stock: Pair of Hawaiian Flame Wrasse, Leopard Wrasse, Pink Streaked Wrasse, Pair True Percula Clowns, Potters Angel, African Flameback Angel, Orange Fin Tomini Tang, Yellow Assessor, Tailspot Blenny, Purple Firefish..

45 G FW Asain Barb Community tank.

Old 05-22-2008, 02:02 PM

muck is on a distinguished road

I have been thinking about getting one too Drew. Ever since last May's Europe trip where you see them everywhere..

Here is a photo I snapped in Paris on the road directly in front of the Eiffel Tower. Im pretty sure this guy was on his way to work as it was 8:30 in the morning.
Unfortunately you can't see his bright red tie flipped over his left shoulder..

Old 05-22-2008, 03:48 PM

digital-audiophile is on a distinguished road

I've also thought about getting a scooter for the downtown commute. With gas prices going through the roof it is costing me ~$80 a week commuting back and forth in the SUV.

90G : Light - Tek 6xT5 | Skim - EuroReef RS135 | Flow - 2xVortech MP40W | Control - Reef Keeper 2
Old 05-22-2008, 05:06 PM

Hah, Ryan that's awesome!

And Telford, you make some good points.

Hmmm....maybe I'll have a look-see over at Blackfoot Motorsports

10G Nano * 10G Sump * Deltec MCE 600 Skimmer * JBL Viper 150w MH * Zeovit * Vortech MP40W

Millions long for immortality who do not know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon. ~S. Ertz

Old 05-22-2008, 05:48 PM

BTW...does anyone know what the criteria are for when you do need a motorcycle license, etc? What cc, etc?