Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 05-13-2008, 02:41 AM

Lance is on a distinguished road

I agree with you Tony; really weird for them to die that quickly. Zoo officials say the water quality was normal. I'd hate to think someone deliberately put something in the water. Whatever the reason, it's a disaster for the zoo, and a sad day as well.
Old 05-13-2008, 02:48 AM

steve fedyk is on a distinguished road

I con't believe how fast the rays died off. I hope the problem can be solved. If the tank was posioned I hope the people responsable are delt with in a timely fasio.
Old 05-13-2008, 02:55 AM

michika is on a distinguished road

I'm guessing its something that they don't routinely test for; hand cream on someone's hands, acetone from freshly cleaned nails, etc.
Old 05-13-2008, 03:44 AM

justinl is on a distinguished road

Man that seriously sucks.

I doubt it was trace amounts of hand cream or something like that. I would imagine that the system is pretty big and if it was something foreign and added deliberately, it would have to be a fairly significant amount to cause that kind of effect. That said, I know it isnt hard to sabotage a public aquarium. Security isn't generally a main focus. and to compound the problem, think about how many people visit the place every day. trying to figure out who did it, if that were the case, would be near impossible unless they have video surveillance over the tank (hopefully they do).
Old 05-13-2008, 04:26 AM

Jeff_ is on a distinguished road

This is quite sad indeed. It will be interesting however to find out what could cause such a catastrophic event, there is a possibility that it was something from someone hands but i really have no idea what could possibly even deal such damage. Im leaning towards deliberate sabotage too but what was used is really the question.
Old 05-13-2008, 04:32 AM

Der_Iron_Chef is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Der_Iron_Chef

I think that someone's hands would need to be covered in weapons-grade plutonium to cause such a severe reaction. No, if I can put my hands into my tank on accident after applying hand cream (oops!...only once...or twice....), I think the huge water volume of the stingray tank could withstand it.

It could even be something like...the grass outside the building was sprayed with fertilizer or weed killer. Who knows, right?

Either way, it's a great shame. I loved seeing the little beauties glide gracefully through the water, and they surely didn't deserve this.

10G Nano * 10G Sump * Deltec MCE 600 Skimmer * JBL Viper 150w MH * Zeovit * Vortech MP40W

Millions long for immortality who do not know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon. ~S. Ertz

Old 05-13-2008, 05:39 AM

michika is on a distinguished road

FYI the hand cream reference was just an example...I'm not saying hand cream could do it, I'm just saying that its very plausible that it could have been something that got into the tank, and isn't something they can or do routinely test for.
Old 05-13-2008, 06:12 AM

ElGuappo is on a distinguished road

i was going to ask if you could touchthe glass. this could be an issue. maybe a school field trip with 100 kids pouning on the glass for half an hour. who knows. but yes a PR nightmare.
72 Gallon Bowfront Reef.. Hardware:2x250w Luminex Elite HQI Reflectors (Phoenix Hexarc Bulbs), Galaxy 2x250w Electronic ballast, Euroreef 130 Skimmer, Sedra KSP 7000 Retern... Live Stock: Pair of Hawaiian Flame Wrasse, Leopard Wrasse, Pink Streaked Wrasse, Pair True Percula Clowns, Potters Angel, African Flameback Angel, Orange Fin Tomini Tang, Yellow Assessor, Tailspot Blenny, Purple Firefish..

45 G FW Asain Barb Community tank.

Old 05-13-2008, 06:20 AM

Reefhawk1 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Reefhawk1

The problem these days is you can't trust people. A toxin was probably introduced into the water causing a catastrophic loss of life. Sad day at the zoo for sure.
Old 05-13-2008, 03:30 PM

Patrick1 is on a distinguished road

I support the zoo and attend it alot. I live close by and have a year round pass. I took some time when they first started, and spoke with the guy who was (running things??). I had some questions just as a normal visitor, not trying to be a salt water smart ***. I figured he would have some amazing knowlege and some really kick *** technical background. I was a little rattled at how little he knew beyond what was posted on the wall. After that I had a great deal of concern about those rays.

They kept telling people to keep their hands out of the water and, only a few people who were with zoo staff could touch the rays. Anyone else who has been there on a busy day can agree that there might have been like 5 people out of 400 that didn't have their hands in the water. I know lots of people who keep rays and they keep their hands out of the tank. I know it's easy to point out faults but, for the people running the zoo after the last big mess up. You would think that they would have put more thought into this one.