Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 03-12-2008, 04:34 PM

justinl is on a distinguished road

sweet scores. definitely put me down for a frag of that moon coral when you're ready!
Old 03-12-2008, 07:44 PM

Puff is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatigot View Post
HAHAHA....
Great posting, I have to say though that given your description of the lfs' here in and around vancouver it is near impossible to know which one you are talking about.
Surly employees seems to be a staple at most lfs' around here, though some much more than others.
I can't count the number of times I've woken up much like you and with 2 good hips decided to head out to any one of the lfs' only to get there and have the employees level of customer service be so low that I just can't muster up the conviction to force one of them to sell me something and so I leave empty handed with a full wallet.

There seem to be key individuals at each lfs who go above and beyond (or at least meet the bare minimum level of customer service I expect from any sales staff) and if you catch them its great, if not or if they are very busy helping everyone else who knows they are their only hope of getting any help you just wasted gas and time....

I will say the ONLY LFS i have gone to multiple times and been helped out every time to my satisfaction is OA in Delta...

Oh boy, sorry for the early morning rant, I think maybe I'm just jealous of your great skimmer....
OA is amazing. definitely the best service in town. but because of my location J&L is my main LFS, and ive always found the staff to be awesome there. ive only had "poor" service once, but that was right around boxing day. i had been waiting for 20 minutes to get my coral. then some dickhead stepped in front of me in line...then worst of all, THEY TOOK THE CORAL I HAD BEEN WAITING FOR!! i got pretty ****ed off, not at the employee but the customer. they knew i was waiting, they had just showed up, yet when the guy came to get the next person in line i was like "oh that would be m..." then this other guy goes, "no, it's me.". i wasnt in a bad mood that day, or else i would have blown a gasket at the guy for being so rude. i protested, but the employee took the guy first anyways. that REALLY ****ed me off, but it was only once, and the guy's wife seemed like...ummm...not the nicest person (in absence of using another word). in the employees defence, i brought it up afterwards and he apologized profusely. i wont name the "other" store. but you're usually greeted by a troll smoking a cigarette.

Last edited by Puff; 03-12-2008 at 07:48 PM.
Old 03-12-2008, 09:25 PM

Snappy is on a distinguished road

nice favia

Greg
Old 03-12-2008, 09:27 PM
Banned

Whatigot is on a distinguished road

hahahaha....
Man, this kind of stuff needs it's own forum.....lol.

I would love to share some of my more animated experiences at k.e and jl, h.r and most of all b.a, but since this is a public forum and sponsored by many of the aformentioned stores; I will refrain.

Cigarette smoking troll.....hillarious.....lol.
Old 03-12-2008, 10:50 PM

ive been treated like a donkey at KE a lot of times. now i just dont go there unless absolutely necessary. i would rather order stuff online from the US than go to their store. ive given them a TONNE of business, and sent friends there (noone on here) that have spent thousands of dollars there. yet they still dont know me (or didnt before i stopped going back). the only guys i got along with there were a couple of the younger "muscle" that they have to bring stuff out and help with the fish.

BA...ive had some bad experiences there. but the manager sorted that, so i wont go in to detail. but being told that you cannot pick out fish from a tank (when there arent that many fish IN the tank) is pretty stupid. "yeah sure...just grab me that one floating on the top gasping for air."
Old 03-13-2008, 02:36 AM

Canadian is on a distinguished road

I'm more interested in your hip being "out". Are you actually dislocating or subluxing your hip or is this some more chiro-speak?
SPS Dedicated 24x24x20 Trimless Tank | 20 g Sump | Bubbble King Mini 160 Protein Skimmer w/ Avast Swabbie | NP Biopellets in TLF Phosban Reactor | ATI Sunpower 6 x 24W T5HO Fixture | EcoTech Vortech MP20 | Modified Tunze Nanostream 6025 | Eheim 1260 Return Pump | GHL Profilux Standalone Doser dosing B-Ionic | Steel Frame Epoxy Coated Stand with Maple Panels embedded with Neodymium Magnets

"Mens sana in corpore sano"
Old 03-13-2008, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian View Post
I'm more interested in your hip being "out". Are you actually dislocating or subluxing your hip or is this some more chiro-speak?
i literally popped the right side of my hip out. there was a bone sticking out around the back part, and my leg was hanging off to the side. it was brutal. i couldnt move my right leg. took me 10 minutes to crawl up the stairs.lol

it's all good now though. a bit weak, but at least i can walk.

ive played rugby for years, hockey since i was a kid, soccer, and lots of other sports. ive fallen off boats at high speed...i did my hip in getting out of bed to take a leak! i swung my leg out and it went, "CL-ICK" i didnt pay attention to the sound until i put my foot on the ground and it felt like someone stabbed me with a red hot knife.
Old 03-13-2008, 01:34 PM
Banned

Whatigot is on a distinguished road

king eds is definitely hit and miss with customer service, big als is just a bunch of kids who could care less about aquaria or anything outside of a paycheck.

I would LOVE to find a lfs where they put as much time and care into taking my money off of me as I did making the money.
I think when it comes down to it we all just want to be romanced a little and ENJOY spending it, I know I really look forward to having enough $$ saved up to actually go out and buy that new skimmer or the upgraded lighting and it's really dissapointing when the store you have been so excited to blow some dough at is much less excited to have you in it spending it.

I am a salesman by trade and have been for life and my g/f and I often remark what a great LFS i would have since I love two things; aquaria and sales.
Maybe my standards are high and I should just fork over the cash and run away with the goods, but I just can't see why someone who's selling me a 200 dollar pair of jeans is putting more into it than someone selling me 500 dollars worth of livestock and hardware....
Old 03-13-2008, 02:55 PM

Canadian is on a distinguished road

Puff,

Given that the artery of the ligament of the head of the femur (aka the foveal artery) provides the blood supply to the femoral head and that disruption of this artery can occur with any dislocation I would take this issue rather seriously. If the blood supply is regularly disrupted or disrupted for prolonged periods you could quite easily develop avascular necrosis of your femoral head requiring hip replacement surgery (The same thing happened to Bo Jackson). The depth of the acetabulum generally makes true dislocation pretty difficult but if you have a shallow femoral head or acetabulum this will make your hip less stable. Ergo, I would get in to your GP and see if you can get an x-ray. And of equal importance I would get into a physiotherapist so you can stabilize your hip with some exercises for your gluteus medius and gluteus minimis.

Often snapping of the iliotibial band (IT Band) over the greater trochanter of the femur can mimic the sensation of a hip dislocation. Rehabilitation would still include glut med and min strengthening as well as addressing other weaknesses (eg glut max).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puff View Post
i literally popped the right side of my hip out. there was a bone sticking out around the back part, and my leg was hanging off to the side. it was brutal. i couldnt move my right leg. took me 10 minutes to crawl up the stairs.lol

it's all good now though. a bit weak, but at least i can walk.

ive played rugby for years, hockey since i was a kid, soccer, and lots of other sports. ive fallen off boats at high speed...i did my hip in getting out of bed to take a leak! i swung my leg out and it went, "CL-ICK" i didnt pay attention to the sound until i put my foot on the ground and it felt like someone stabbed me with a red hot knife.
SPS Dedicated 24x24x20 Trimless Tank | 20 g Sump | Bubbble King Mini 160 Protein Skimmer w/ Avast Swabbie | NP Biopellets in TLF Phosban Reactor | ATI Sunpower 6 x 24W T5HO Fixture | EcoTech Vortech MP20 | Modified Tunze Nanostream 6025 | Eheim 1260 Return Pump | GHL Profilux Standalone Doser dosing B-Ionic | Steel Frame Epoxy Coated Stand with Maple Panels embedded with Neodymium Magnets

"Mens sana in corpore sano"
Old 03-17-2008, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian View Post
Puff,

Given that the artery of the ligament of the head of the femur (aka the foveal artery) provides the blood supply to the femoral head and that disruption of this artery can occur with any dislocation I would take this issue rather seriously. If the blood supply is regularly disrupted or disrupted for prolonged periods you could quite easily develop avascular necrosis of your femoral head requiring hip replacement surgery (The same thing happened to Bo Jackson). The depth of the acetabulum generally makes true dislocation pretty difficult but if you have a shallow femoral head or acetabulum this will make your hip less stable. Ergo, I would get in to your GP and see if you can get an x-ray. And of equal importance I would get into a physiotherapist so you can stabilize your hip with some exercises for your gluteus medius and gluteus minimis.

Often snapping of the iliotibial band (IT Band) over the greater trochanter of the femur can mimic the sensation of a hip dislocation. Rehabilitation would still include glut med and min strengthening as well as addressing other weaknesses (eg glut max).
thanks Canadian. my hip has been fine since being put back in. actually feels a lot better than it did before! i will definitely get in to see my doc just to make sure though. i HATE rehab though. darnit!