Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Regional Forums > Alberta > Calgary

Old 03-03-2003, 04:26 PM

Bob I is on a distinguished road

Here's an idea that I use, and will probably get flamed for (but I am getting used to people thinking they know all).

Use the sand as it comes out of the bag, and cover it with an inch or so of #6, or #7 glass beads. Glass beads are dust free so no more silt will come flying out of your sand bed. A very interesting thing is that the snails and my conch like the stuff. They bury themselves to the exact depth of the beads. I can see that because the beads are translucent, so you can see things that are buried close to the front.

It works well for me, so to all you probable detractors I say "try it you may like it" before you pan the idea.

---------Homer Simpson--------
Old 03-04-2003, 02:44 AM

andestang is on a distinguished road

Jon - PM
Old 03-04-2003, 02:48 AM

Canadian Man is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by andestang
Jon - PM
Ande PM back at ya
-----------------------------------
www.cakerybakery.ca
Old 03-12-2003, 07:43 PM

SuperFudge is on a distinguished road

Hey Guys,

I know the threads old but, I just thought i should mention that you SHOULD rinse your sand....regardless of the loss of silt...(or use a diatom bag of sorts.)

Especially the oolotic types that have come in to the hobby of late such as southdown and the like.
Or Re-packaged sand that has been just re-named for our purpose..and of course only to gouge us reefers a bit more.

All Sands of this type were not gathered,transported,bagged or stored in a manner that were meant for the aquatic environment,even thought they are fine to use when "clean".

These sands are usually sprayed with a "oily" type substance in the back of a dumptuck so it doesnt blow away during the transport.

Heres a quote from the manufacturer of Southdown....

Southdown Manufacturer Warning - Here is what the representative from Southdown made a point to say that he has been hearing that people have been adding there sand in salt water aquarium and that we should be informed to how the sand is collected and transported and stored. Southdown will scoop the sand with machinery and dump tons and tons in dump trucks then transport and dump the sand in large outside storage bins. Warning!!!!!! As we all know how fine this sand is he told me that as they dump the sand in the bins they will spray a liquid oily lubricant on the sand to keep the dust (sand) from flying which can be very hazardous if the sand is not washed prior to adding any animal life. Another reason to wash your sand thoroughly is Southdown is not only a sand manufacture they also manufacture different typed of gravel and rocks like slate, marble, lava rock, etc. The rock is stored in the same bins as the Southdown sand which means that other rubble is packaged with Southdown sand.
Old 03-12-2003, 09:04 PM

Quinn is on a distinguished road

the bags jon brought in from jayson also recommend rinsing.

so how does one rinse sand? pour it into a bucket of water, drain the water off, dump the wet sand into the tank? i'm not interested in doing anything more complex than that. :?

Man, n. ...His chief occupation is extermination of other animals and his own species, which, however, multiplies with such insistent rapidity as to infest the whole habitable earth, and Canada. - A. Bierce, Devil's Dictionary, 1906
Old 03-12-2003, 09:22 PM

SuperFudge is on a distinguished road

Teevee,

I just used a heavy diatom bag that i fill with a pound or two at a time....and jam the hose in for a minute.

Or if the wife isnt looking,maybe swipe a pillow case.
Old 03-12-2003, 10:12 PM

spikehs is on a distinguished road

i added 4 bags from tony's lot with no ill effects (so far atleast!)
Old 03-13-2003, 12:59 AM

Canadian Man is on a distinguished road

Now I don't know much about the whole sand thing and south down and such but. So far now one has had any ill effects with not rinsing the sand, so I have heard anyway.

now I don't know if southdown is any diffrent but I do know that this is not the southdown sand, or atleast it's not in the southdown bags . So who know's if it's prepared by the same bulldozers and oil's etc.
-----------------------------------
www.cakerybakery.ca
Old 03-13-2003, 02:22 AM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fudge
Or if the wife isnt looking,maybe swipe a pillow case.
Are you trying to get someone killed?????? Once I did something like that. Nearly lost an arm. :shock:
Old 03-13-2003, 02:42 AM

Jayson is on a distinguished road

First the sand is not southdown or from the same place. The sand comes from the islands in the Carribean. The label says to wash it because some people do not like the silt. I myself have never washed the sand. The sand is not sprayed with oils of any kind. Hope this helps.