Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 02-24-2003, 02:13 PM
Rest In Peace

Doug has disabled reputation

In a smaller tank I noticed the same results as above. I removed most of the bullied ones before they died.

I have 10 in my 225. Some are large adults. They are still schooling well and no aggression. I feed them several times/day. Its only been several months though.
Old 02-24-2003, 06:35 PM

Scales is on a distinguished road

My experience has been somewhat similar...I do not have time to check any reference material and may be off base, but is it possible that we are getting fish that "look" identical yet are different at the species level? Maybe the fish can tell the difference but we can't...just a suggestion. It may explain the hit and miss experience of keeping Green Chromis specimens...I once started with 5 which quickly became 3. These three were different in size, yet showed no aggression towards one another (in a 54 gallon) and lived peacefully for about a year. I made the mistake of adding 4 more which started a continuous battel. Over the next couple of months, all but one were lost. Size of the sytem is a possible factor...species intolerance may be another....again, just a suggestion.

Trevor
Old 02-24-2003, 07:01 PM

ed99 is on a distinguished road

I feed mine once or twice a day, though they sometimes miss a day when I'm away.
Old 02-25-2003, 12:08 AM

Canadian Man is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the replies about the feeding frequency,
I thought that maybe feeding habits may have some affect on aggression but I suppose not if the fish were fed daily.

Hmmmmm. I started with 4 and I still got 4. Knock on wood of course :?
-----------------------------------
www.cakerybakery.ca
Old 02-25-2003, 03:24 AM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

Sounds like it might be more of potential problem if there is a size imbalance, or perhaps the tank is not on the bigger size? So if they're evenly sized, or if there's a LOT of swimming room, they might behave nicer? Not sure if I'm reading into too much of the above, or not .... :?:
Old 02-25-2003, 04:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delphinus
Sounds like it might be more of potential problem if there is a size imbalance, or perhaps the tank is not on the bigger size? So if they're evenly sized, or if there's a LOT of swimming room, they might behave nicer? Not sure if I'm reading into too much of the above, or not .... :?:
I think that could have something to do with it Tony.
If only fish could talk, or if only we could talk fish
www.cakerybakery.ca
Old 02-25-2003, 04:24 AM

Troy F is on a distinguished road

I've brought this question up before and one answer that popped up repeatedly from experienced reefers was that the chromis shoal because of predation. With no threat they revert to their damsel-like territorial urges and pick on one another until only one survives. Horge over on the reef tank has a lot of experience with this species. There are two similar species in my reference book; Chromis atripectoralis and C. virdis. The difference is a black mark at the inner part of the pectoral fin.

I have C. virdis and added three to my 155. I'm down to two. The largest of the three is the one that went missing. I believe he went MIA when I added a flasher wrasse (Paracheilinus filamentosus). The remaining two are extremely timid but are nicely coloured and healthy.

lusus naturae
Old 02-25-2003, 04:51 AM

ed99 is on a distinguished road

I think that would explain what I saw. When first added to the tank the chromis schooled, and when I added additional chromis to the tank the new ones quickly joined the ones that were already there. Then after a few days it was everyfish for himself.

I have another question- while watching my chromis closer than usual lately I noticed one has some patchy spots on his scales, mostly near the top of this body but also in other spots as well. It's not like ich, more like a the colour has faded on some of the scales as it follows the scale patterns. Sound familiar to anybody?

Thanks,

Ed
Old 02-25-2003, 03:16 PM

Yes Ed that does sound framiliar.
Mine have that every few days or so and it's usually just 1 or 2 of the 4.
I think I see the discolored spots when the fish get spooked by somehting.
www.cakerybakery.ca
Old 02-25-2003, 09:08 PM

Bob I is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delphinus
That is an interesting point. They are in a 36" tank. The question I asked in the original post was "how would one fish know he is bigger than the others?" They have no mirrors, so there is nothing to compare to. Basically at this point the agression has slowed a bit.

---------Homer Simpson--------