Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 03-10-2008, 03:04 AM

Oscar is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fencer View Post
I found that when the water enters the bioball chamber it channels so I put a sieve plate on top of the balls and then the filter mat
I like that idea. There has been discussion that bio balls start to produce nitrates as detritus builds up. What has your experience been?
Old 03-10-2008, 04:19 AM

fencer is on a distinguished road

I have had this tank up since Oct 07. I see no large build up of detritus in the bioballs section. Having said that this tank is run with fish and corals. This tank also has 40lb of LR and a deep sand bed. Nitrates are taken up by the caulerpa in the tank, not in the fuge. I just do a little harvesting when it starts to over grow. The fuge tank needs more light but what it needs more is better internal circulation. To date I have had zero problems.
Old 03-18-2008, 10:54 PM
Gold Member

mseepman is on a distinguished road

Oscar, how is this tank setup going? What are your thoughts? What are you going to put into the tank?

290g Peninsula Display, 425g total volume. Setup Jan 2013.
Old 03-19-2008, 04:43 AM

Default Hurry up and Wait

Quote:
Originally Posted by mseepman View Post
Oscar, how is this tank setup going? What are your thoughts? What are you going to put into the tank?
I got off to a good running start a few weeks ago when the tank and cabinet arrived. It turned out that two of the supporting cabinet panels were broken.

I have been informed that the panels just left today by FedEx with delivery of March 27th. Seeing that I ordered the tank and cabinet on February 4th I am certainly learning the art of moving slowly in this hobby.

In the meantine I purchased ~35lbs of live Cuban rock from Chris at Interior Reef. I had it bathing in a Rubbermaid tub but I had a problem getting the temperature to stabilize so I moved into the bare bottom tank. (I also purchased live sand, heater, test kit etc. from Chris. Great to have him setting up shop in the valley.)

The tank is perched on my workbench with the rear compartments facing out. That has given me a chance to study the "layout" of the tank and compartments. When the cabinet is constructed then I will tear down this temporary installation and start again at the tank's final placement.

I will take a few photos of the temp setup soon. Everything is running well. I will need to deal with the microbubbles generated by the skimmer and reducing the waterfall sound as water enters the refugium.

Anxously awaiting final installation.
Old 03-28-2008, 04:36 AM

Default Cabinet Parts Arrived!

Well the replacement cabinet parts arrived this afternoon. I have pretty well finished putting the cabinet together. By Sunday I hope to have moved the tank and LR from it's temporary location on my work bench into it's final display location in the house.

I will start posting on a regular basis as the installation proceeds.

Now for a beer.
Old 03-28-2008, 05:04 PM
Gold Member

mseepman is on a distinguished road

Looking forward to seeing it. I'm heading to Summerland tonight Oscar and thought maybe I could check out the tank tomorrow if you're around. I have to head into Oroville to pickup a Hellolights order I made (they won't ship to Canada) in the morning but I should be around later and would love to see the Cad.

290g Peninsula Display, 425g total volume. Setup Jan 2013.
Old 04-04-2008, 12:18 PM

Default Starting Again

Ok, here we go.

Now that I think I know how to post photos I thought it was time to get back to the journal.

On February 4th I placed an order for the CadLights 39G all-in-one tank plus the cherry cabinet. Since February 5th was the start of shipping for this new tank I had to wait another week for the shipment to leave Brooklyn NY.

After reading all of the notes regarding shipping horror stories I was keeping all of my fingers and toes crossed.

The tank and cabinet were shipped in 2 separate packages via UPS. I tracked them on their website which was indicated that the cabinet was on the way but the tank never left (I think that according to the website it still has not yet left NY).

First to arrive was the cabinet

Then a few days later the tank and lights arrived.

But even though it looked like the lights had a rough trip it was actually the earlier arrival of the cabinet that was a problem.
Old 04-04-2008, 01:57 PM

fencer is on a distinguished road

You might want to put some support clips on the back to prevent the glass top from falling into the tank
Old 04-04-2008, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fencer View Post
You might want to put some support clips on the back to prevent the glass top from falling into the tank
Actually the glass top comes with 4 clips that hang off of the lip of the tank. The glass then sits on the clips. Problem is that if you mount the lights on their legs which in turn also sit on the lip of the tank it is very awkward to install the glass lid.

But the glass lid will come in handy if I hang the lights from the ceiling, which I think I will eventually do. The hanging of the lights will give more room for tank maintenance.
Old 04-05-2008, 02:10 AM

Default Damaged Cabinet

Although the box looked great on the outside somehow UPS damaged two of the cabinet panels. The only way to do that was to have bent the box on a sharp object or is was elevated at both ends during transport.