Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 02-12-2008, 04:49 PM

fishoholic will become famous soon enough

[quote=Reefhawk1;301340]I used clams to lure my mantis out. I purchased the cold water variety from the grocery store and placed it in the open sand area. The mantis would appear instantly to snatch it up.

QUOTE]

Sorry to cut in but I have a mantis and he eats mysis. I'm wondering, could I give him a clam every now and then for a treat?
Old 02-13-2008, 02:38 AM

justinl is on a distinguished road

mantids should be fed a variety of frozen foods. they aren't picky, so clams, krill, mysis, silversides, etc. are fine. If the mantis is a smasher it should be fed a hard shelled meaty food at least once or twice a month. hermits and snails serve well and so would clams.

I use snails and hermits because the clams would be much messier and are probably aren't the cleanest things around... clams (as suspension feeders) are notorious for accumulating unhealthy crap.
Old 02-13-2008, 04:51 AM

fishoholic will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinl View Post
mantids should be fed a variety of frozen foods. they aren't picky, so clams, krill, mysis, silversides, etc. are fine. If the mantis is a smasher it should be fed a hard shelled meaty food at least once or twice a month. hermits and snails serve well and so would clams.

I use snails and hermits because the clams would be much messier and are probably aren't the cleanest things around... clams (as suspension feeders) are notorious for accumulating unhealthy crap.
Good to know thanks.
Old 02-13-2008, 05:03 AM

vazgor is on a distinguished road
Default get this

the other night when i was feeding my brian coral after all the lights whent off i turned off all my power heads and my sump and proceded to feed the monster well for some reason all the fish woke up and stared to mess about
and i noticed that one of my damsils would make a fairly loud sound when he chased my chromis around the damsil is the 3 striped kind you know the black and white ones maby thats it
Old 02-15-2008, 01:26 AM

Steeves is on a distinguished road

Ok so looks like im down two peppermint shrimp and an emerald crab. I have yet to catch what ever it is that im going for (mantis or pistol). Will the mantis shrimp eat peppermint shrimp? Or do you think i have a pistol shrimp?
Also will this bottle trap work for a pistol shrimp as well? Thanks Kris.
Old 02-15-2008, 02:25 AM

Chowder is on a distinguished road

With you missing two peppermint shrimp and a crab I would say you have a mantis shrimp. Pistol Shrimp don't kill other crustations
Old 02-15-2008, 04:32 AM

dont listen too carefully to the narrarator... and if you do, take it with a grain of salt, but the point of me linking this, is to demonstrate that pistols are predators and will indeed kill shrimp and crabs if they are hungry (and big) enough. Ive heard of one pistol that even killed off a mantis.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKPrGxB1Kzc
Old 02-15-2008, 05:25 AM

Chowder is on a distinguished road

my mistake.
Old 02-15-2008, 06:04 AM

Steeves is on a distinguished road

Man.. Ok my bad i found the crab but both my shrimp are gone.... The funny thing is, is that i dont see no carcass. Will the bottle trap work for the pistol shrimp as well? What a headache.
Old 02-15-2008, 05:39 PM

Well you have to realize that peps can be very secretive. Ive had a couple before that i couldnt find for days at a time. That and if they are eaten, a mantis could either eat the whole thing, eat some, throw it out and have your CUC eat the leftovers (which can happen surprisingly fast) or just bury the leftovers. Just a thought.

Im not convinced that pistols would be caught with a bottle trap but ive been wrong before. Worth a try at least.