Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 02-07-2008, 03:36 PM

robzilla is on a distinguished road

i run a remora pro on my 44g. i previously had a css and it did overflow a few times. cleaning up skimmate off carpet is never fun.
i've never a had an issue with the remora. it consistantly pulles out gunk.
look around for a used unit and save yourself the headache with the css.
Old 02-07-2008, 03:49 PM

Chowder is on a distinguished road

http://vancouver.craigslist.ca/for/565443948.html
Old 02-07-2008, 11:29 PM

bv_reefer is on a distinguished road

nope i don't have a sump and it's a 33-gallon mixed reef, thanks again for the link jkhchris

My reef~http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/m...-/P4300459.jpg
Old 02-07-2008, 11:30 PM

o man too bad it's in-sump only it's the biggest model too..darn

Old 02-07-2008, 11:49 PM

atcguy is on a distinguished road
Default thet are crap

In this hobby its the equiptment that you have to put your money in for. why not give your livestock the best chance. Many say later they wish they started with the good equiptment. Thats what I was told when I started up 6 years ago. I love my euroreef skimmer w. gate valve mod. Consider
Old 02-08-2008, 12:50 AM

sharuq1 is on a distinguished road

I run a css on my 48g and have not had issues. I think it is a 65. For mine there is a "sweet spot" on the dial between 6 o'clock and 9 o'clock position. 6 is wet skim and 9 is dry. If I leave it on 6 there is chance of overflow but only if I don't watch and something is going on in my tank. (put in a chemical or forget to rinse media or something). If I leave town I set it to 9 and no probs.

An aquaintance of mine has several of these skimmers and they are pulling out some very nasty skimmate, and not overflowing.

Really the only time mine overflowed it was my fault. Once I didn't rinse out a sponge for the baffle (I was replacing the old one and didn't think) and the other time I forget what it was but I know it was my fault, lol.

Granted they are no euroreef, but if money is a big issue they are most certainly better than no skimmer at all. I shudder to think what my tank would look like with no skimmer.

Last edited by sharuq1; 02-08-2008 at 12:54 AM.
Old 02-08-2008, 03:16 AM

I've been 4 months now skimmerless and it's going great, can't complain. the sudden need for a skimmer is just to help me out with nutrient export and let loose on the water changes a bit. ok so my last question....so as far as flooding goes, the way it happens is the air intake gets clogged from chemicals and detritus and particles and then what part actually floods?? does a bunch of water flood the floor or does only the crap in the collection cup flood? the whole flooding thing confuses me- so if I have a container underneath the skimmer at all times it's safe?

Old 02-08-2008, 04:04 AM

Jeff_ is on a distinguished road

For my CSS 65, the pump pushes more water than air causing the foam head to rise and fill the collection cup so fast that some of the skimmate will flow back into the tank and the rest will go through that top hole, follow my cord to the drip loop and down to the floor. Its usually my fault though when it floods, because I havent cleaned the air intake of the skimmer so whenever it floods i know to clean the intake. One thing that helped it stay stable for me was to keep the output out of the water to reduce back pressure. But other than that it pulls out pretty nasty skimmate, and im pretty happy with it.

If you have a bucket underneath it should be okay but if it floods im pretty sure there it will flood more than usual because the skimmate will fill the bucket before getting on the floor, whichs leaves more time for flooding before you realize that it is flooding.

hope that helps.
Old 02-08-2008, 04:11 AM

perfect thanks alot, thats what i was wondering. if i do decide to go for the css, i'll guess i'll just always have a 1-gallon bucket underneath to catch any spills or floods, really stuck between the remora and the css at the moment

Old 02-09-2008, 12:51 AM

b-diddy is on a distinguished road

How'd you end up making out with the coralife? I just bought the 65 online on e-bay and I'm hoping it'll be alright.

This is my first salt water tank and I've had great luck so far but any advice for this skimmer would be great.

what part of it overflows? the poop bucket?

50 Gallon Tank (Running 2 months now) with a Fluval 305 and a Coralife 65 Skimmer en route.

1 clown, 1 Mandarin Goby, 4 crabs, a sexy shrimp, some mushrooms and an enemone for the Clownfish (which he doesn't seem to be taking to)